FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Drilling off Florida coasts

Sorry I didn't know where else to post this, so please move or remove it if it is inappropriate. I think the issue has a bearing on all of us that regularly use our coast.

The US House Representative for most of us in Pinellas (Rep Bill Young) will once again be voting tomorrow on whether to lift the moratorium on drilling off of Florida's coastline for oil. A subcommittee narrowly upheld the moratorium last week but this week the full committee will vote on it. Rep Young has consistently voted for the moratorium (and against drilling).

You can contact him at the following phone # to express your opinion, if interested. If you choose to do so, please do so today as the vote is tomorrow.

Rep Bill Young:

St Pete: 727 893 3191
Wash DC: 202 225 5961

Bill.Young@mail.house.gov
360 Central Ave Ste 1480 St Pete, FL 33701

Matt O
Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Will it lower gas prices??? LOL
Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

A friend of mine emailed this to me today:

OPEC sells oil for $128.00 a barrel.

OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel.

Solution: Sell grain for $128.00 a bushel.

Can't buy it? Tough! Eat your oil!

Then, oil will come down.

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 PM

Todd,

great idea, then we can start working on our trade deficit, increase the purchasing power of the dollar and then i can start buying my kites over seas at half price!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Our great powers that be,( who are controlled by corporate interest ) will say it lower prices. That is if we drill closer off the coast of Florida. We are now on the down slide of the hydro carbon curve. No way we can drill to lower prices. Oil is actually to preciuos to burn. Invest in the future. Step One. Efficency. It is the least costly with imediate results. Step two. Renewable, such as solar, wind, hydro & closed looped geo thermal do not emit CO 2. Clean electricity and new battery technology will take us safely into the future, for so many reasons. Get involved. For the future of others who have yet to come. It is our responsibility to leave what we love, better then what we have now.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Can't Re-member

Jordan,

we are already past peak oil

drilling now will do nothing

we need alternative energy now

Bush fu@ked us

this one is spot on ( but his emphasis is on gold, whereas all commodities apply ):

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=42919

I would take this one with a few grains of salt w/o verifying facts:

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Maybe we will still have kites in the end

Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 PM

Default It's us or them

Cuba has contracted it's buddy China(formerly known as Red China before it started making all our products) to begin drilling off it's coast. This is part of the same oil field that the U.S. energy companies have been lusting after for the last 2 decades. So who gets it first? It would be nice to still be able to gaze westward into the sunset off our coast and see nothing but the setting sun instead of the lights from oil platforms as in the case of the Texas coast. But we may not be able to actually get to the coast to watch the sunset.
I read that China's energy needs are growing so fast that it would need to construct one nuclear power plant per week to keep up with the demand. Now where did you say your kite was made?
Another interesting tidbit is that every time Japan sends an oil tanker to Saudi Arabia, it is filled with fresh water. I wonder what's the cost per barrel of the oil Japan is buying?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM

I shouldn't reply after dinner and a few beers, but you must be smoking something from Al Gores stash so we'll call it even. peak oil has only been reached if you take 1/2 of the currently identified and recoverable sources and put them off limits. I will truly make personal sacrifices for a cleaner environment, but the goal of the environmental movement is to limit human development and prosperity. CO2 is not a pollutant it is a natural constituent of our atmosphere and the byproduct of nearly all life and almost all sources of life sustaining energy. to give government the power to control Co2 emissions is to allow them to control and tax everything. I love the outdoors, the water and especially the gulf. Do you remember how many gulf oil rigs were evacuated for Katrina? She plowed right up the only part of the gulf open to drilling. Do you remember all that crude washing up on the beach... No huh The evil oil companies have gotten that good at drilling. Live in a fantasy world if you want to, but without oil or massively more nuclear energy we would have to revert to third world conditions to exist on conservation and wind/solar/bio. Any way I can't wait for some more wind and we can all kite together again.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 PM

My car burns gasoline and oil not farts and burps.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 AM

I think that the US is far from qualifying as a third world country! Even in the area of edumacatinon, I mean come on, do you know any third world countries that have the TBKA? that puts us so far ahead

I also find it hard to believe that chinas demands for energy are growing so fast that they would have to build a nuclear plant every week to keep up, because that is impossible, and they are still operating...

I wish there was a website that would state and back up some facts with data. I always here that we have so much oil we can power the world non-stop for the next 100 years without running out... the problem is we haven't been able to get to the oil... Is that true? I don't know, its what I read...