FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Exclamation ACCESS LOST AT VIRGINIA KEY, What's next?

Kent tells me there are now signs banning kiting posted at this favorite, LONG term launch. Apparently when kiters were kicked out of Crandon for a short time during the tennis tournament, they all came over and managed to piss off enough people to get us slung out permanently.

Such rampant stupidity should be against the law. Avoiding problems like this is EASY and only fools would stir things up needlessly. There aren't that many readily accessible launches in Miami and now there is one less. I am hearing about similar problems at other launches with poor high risk behavior to continued access.

Is there any interest out there try to organize and head this off before indifference and poor practices screw us all but good?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by admin; 05-19-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:02 AM
Skyway Scott

That's a shame Rick. I'd be pissed out of my mind if that happened to my local spot.

Unfortunately, a very small minority of kiters still have the foolish belief that their individual right to do what they want will never have a consequence upon the group. This minority apparently can't grasp the concept of cause and effect or that privileges can be taken away when abused.

It seems no matter how much others communicate with this small minority and give rational examples, such as sites being banned, they continue doing things (which can so easily be avoided) that risk access for themselves and others.

This minority of riders "exercising their personal freedom" and not being team players is selfish. Luckily it truly is a very small minority, unfortunately it only takes a few.

I am very sorry to hear this news as I simultaneously wonder how much longer it will be until a similar story about losing access is told by someone from here in St. Pete.
Maybe this most unfortunate circumstance will convince some in our minority that actions do indeed have consequences.

"It's a public place".
Rick, do bathers and the rest of the public still have access?
Lastly Rick, from your point of view and from your many experiences with "rights" being limited or taken away from kiters at public places, what does the word 'Public' mean to you?

Thanks for making us aware of this situation.
I am really sorry to hear it, but hopeful that we can learn from it.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 05-19-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is too bad. I haven't been there by since the signs went up. I rode by about a 1/4 mile offshore yesterday on the way to Crandon from Ft. Lauderdale. Apparently there are still windsurfers and bathers.

Unfortunately, despite being members of the public we are obligated to observe a reasonable standard of care just like anyone else. If we single ourselves out by apparent hazardous or objectionable behaviors, the "public" authorities may exclude us from access. Usually, there are sufficient vague and broad provisions in ordinances to make such actions fairly easy to do if we compel them to do it.

This is readily avoidable, if we try. If not, bans are always an option. It's our choice. Given the lack of response it seems like folks are willing to let things drift where they will.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Skyway Scott

I am also surprised by the lack of response.
What are the odds (I know it's an educated guess) of PASA, IKO or someone coming in and "saving the day"?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:00 AM

Default that sux

mabe you guys have to do a locals only spot..the next best launch site locals only .
And get as gnarley as the Hawaiian surfers beating up on the howlies, for dropping in on a locals only wave.

aj
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks to a heads up from Silvia Caviglia through Laura Meyers to me I have received contact information for one of the authorities who may be able to restore kiting access at Virginia Key Beach. There is a chance something might be worked out whereby safe kiting can resume again at the beach.

Complaints were being received about kiters riding in too close to bathers and inside the swim buoys and slamming kites down on people on the beach. Updates will be given once more is known.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Can't Re-member

You might wanna get in touch with Adam Locke as well, he now lives in ft Pierce. He was our guy that got VK access restored to us the first and numerous times they shut it down on us. He knows all the big dudes in charge of this from the city of Miami. Laura has his contact info, otherwise I can dig it outta my old phones directory once I get home and charge it up

If we do by a miracle regain access, how are we gonna keep reckless kiters from getting us banned again?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post

If we do by a miracle regain access, how are we gonna keep reckless kiters from getting us banned again?
... and that is the biggest problem of all. Setting up guidelines, access corridors and all the rest is fairly straight forward. How do you make it stick without drafting the lifeguards as enforcers? It is never easy but one step at a time.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 AM

With out going on a witch hunt (too much), i'd sure like to know who the a-hole was that gave the life gaurd a hard time at V-Key. I'm sure that this wasn't the total reason for the closure, but I'm sure that it didn't help.

I don't ride Crandon much these days, but it is really disappointing to see the same riders doing the same tricky transititions that were lame 5 years ago just 4 feet from the beach. Get some game and then ride in close. From what I've been seeing out there, most of the riders should be trying to hide offshore, not showing off inshore.

All kidding aside, get control of your riding spot! Don't be ashamed to ask someone to take it offshore. If you are "local" rider and someone smarter than you gives you some kind advise, remember that he or she might have just helped to save your "local" spot.

I must say that it is also the instructors riding out there that give Matheson and Crandon a bad rap. Not all of them, be everyone knows which ones are the offenders. Having been riding in Miami longer than any of you (minus Raul...sorry Big R), I would appreciate everyone's efforts in keeping the places open.

See you on the water... who says May sucks?

Kent
Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Default what happened?

Can someone explain what happened at Virginia? That's a real drag.

I have to agree with Kent. I remember all the stupid antics that led to the changes at Crandon, and some of the same people are doing the same thing.