FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Just joined forum

Hello all! Gio here. Started kiteboarding about 3 months ago. Try to get as much practice in once a week as possible. As weekends are my only chance. FLying a 12M North Rhino 05. Kind of bulky kite, but its been good to learn.

Eagle I emailed you when I was getting into the sport for some advice on gear. Never heard back. I am a Clearwater Florida Native. 26 years here.

I've been at Loan Oak point every weekend. North point of Caladesi flying and practicing. Best wind I have had is 14 knots. I am finding out its not enough, or I am doing something wrong. I've been tea bagging real bad for maybe 20 feet and then lose all power.

I am tired of light wind so I am going to try your recommendation Eagle and hit East Beach at De Soto this saturday. Ive been watching the wind, pray for some good wind. I want 20 knots.. and I think I will get going.

Anyway.. just introducing myself to everyone. Hope to run into you guys on the beach. I have a jet ski, so if anyone ever wants to meet up we have a rescue vehicle.

gio922@yahoo.com

See ya!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 PM

awesome, welcome to the forum, and better yet welcome to the wonderful world of kiteboarding!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:52 PM

Yeah, welcome Gio!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:18 AM
tomstock

Default Re: Just joined forum

8)
Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 AM

Gio..

Watch the "Lets Ride" area of this forum and try to get to a beach where others are going. Introduce yourself and I am sure folks in the area will be albe to offer you better advice once they see what you are doing in person.

I assume you took lessons... right???

It took me a while after my lessons to get going.. a lot longer than many that I see... and much shorter than many that I see.

Everyone has a learning curve.

Kite safe (especially as a beginner).. NEVER go out alone at your level of riding and always ask for advice regarding the conditions.

See you at the beach!

Bryan

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the advice. I cannot figure out from this point what to do. I blame it on the wind, but I do feel kind of like it may be enough power. As soon as I dive the kite I start to plane, I try to carve into the wind, and then turn the kite upwards back into the power. It usually just dies at that point, but sometimes I can pump it just right where I get another small plane.
So frustrating! Tell me this... If the wind is blowing Dead North, I should be kite boarding West to East and back right?

I have a 12Meter kite, how much do you think the wind should be blowing for me to get some good riding in. The highest I have been is 14 mph, and I was still tea bagging.

I really feel like I am carving into the wind incorrectly. Or just not going the right direction period. That is why I want some really powerful wind because I just want to plane and go wherever for now..until I get better at carving and stearing the kite.

Thanks! Have a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio9
I've been at Loan Oak point every weekend. North point of Caladesi flying and practicing. Best wind I have had is 14 knots. I am finding out its not enough, or I am doing something wrong. I've been tea bagging real bad for maybe 20 feet and then lose all power.
Hi Gio,

If you have enough power to teabag (gut pulled out of the water and dunked a few times) you have more than enough power. After you dive the kite, immediately edge into the wind and continue to dive (actually sine) the kite until you build enough aparent wind to maintain your speed.

Edge further up wind to control your speed so you dont end up on a rollercoaster ride of increasing speed until you finally eat it.

If you get overpowered and feel like you can't slow down, push the bar out, and either edge hard into the wind or go straight down wind... either of these will dump power, but edging up wind to dump power takes some strength... you have to sort of muscle the kite to the edge of the window before it dumps the power. Niether dumps power instantly so make sure you have room to slow down.

have fun.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I cannot figure out from this point what to do. I blame it on the wind, but I do feel kind of like it may be enough power. As soon as I dive the kite I start to plane, I try to carve into the wind, and then turn the kite upwards back into the power. It usually just dies at that point, but sometimes I can pump it just right where I get another small plane.
So frustrating! Tell me this... If the wind is blowing Dead North, I should be kite boarding West to East and back right?

I have a 12Meter kite, how much do you think the wind should be blowing for me to get some good riding in. The highest I have been is 14 mph, and I was still tea bagging.

I really feel like I am carving into the wind incorrectly. Or just not going the right direction period. That is why I want some really powerful wind because I just want to plane and go wherever for now..until I get better at carving and stearing the kite.

Thanks! Have a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
Quote:
Hi Gio,

If you have enough power to teabag (gut pulled out of the water and dunked a few times) you have more than enough power. After you dive the kite, immediately edge into the wind and continue to dive (actually sine) the kite until you build enough aparent wind to maintain your speed.

Edge further up wind to control your speed so you dont end up on a rollercoaster ride of increasing speed until you finally eat it.

If you get overpowered and feel like you can't slow down, push the bar out, and either edge hard into the wind or go straight down wind... either of these will dump power, but edging up wind to dump power takes some strength... you have to sort of muscle the kite to the edge of the window before it dumps the power. Niether dumps power instantly so make sure you have room to slow down.

have fun.
don't edge so quickly, go downwind untill you get enough power to start edging. or else your just gana keep falling back in the water.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 AM

HI Bryan,

I will keep my eye out for that section of the forum. I actually did not take lessons I ordered two of the DVD's from Real Kiteboarding in NC. Great DVD's. I do wish I had the coaching, but I cant afford it. I'm a fast learner so IM not worried about it. I am very familiar with the conditions here in St Pete Clearwater... been jet skiing, wakeboarding, these waters all my life. I just hav to figure out how to carve into the wind correctly and coordinate all that with the kite. I think I am not carving hard enough so I dont pull back on the kite to generate power, and I dont think I am driving the kite in the right direction against the power.

I would like to hook with some of you guys just to get to know the local kiteboarders.

Where do you usually go?

I'm in Clearwater near Dunedin Causeway.

Thanks Bryan have a good one.

Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty
Gio..

Watch the "Lets Ride" area of this forum and try to get to a beach where others are going. Introduce yourself and I am sure folks in the area will be albe to offer you better advice once they see what you are doing in person.

It took me a while after my lessons to get going.. a lot longer than many that I see... and much shorter than many that I see.

Kite safe (especially as a beginner).. NEVER go out alone at your level of riding and always ask for advice regarding the conditions.

See you at the beach!

Bryan
Old 07-16-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
HI Bryan,

I will keep my eye out for that section of the forum. I actually did not take lessons I ordered two of the DVD's from Real Kiteboarding in NC. Great DVD's. I do wish I had the coaching, but I cant afford it. I'm a fast learner so IM not worried about it. I am very familiar with the conditions here in St Pete Clearwater... been jet skiing, wakeboarding, these waters all my life. I just hav to figure out how to carve into the wind correctly and coordinate all that with the kite. I think I am not carving hard enough so I dont pull back on the kite to generate power, and I dont think I am driving the kite in the right direction against the power.

I would like to hook with some of you guys just to get to know the local kiteboarders.

Where do you usually go?

I'm in Clearwater near Dunedin Causeway.

Thanks Bryan have a good one.

Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty
Gio..

See you at the beach!

Bryan
scratch what i said.
just because your good at other sports doesn't mean you can just do this with some movies.

get lessons, don't be ignorant.
if you don't have the money then save up.

it's worth waiting a little bit.

if you choose to do it the hard way, just don't do it on our beaches please.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I actually did not take lessons I ordered two of the DVD's from Real Kiteboarding in NC. Great DVD's. I do wish I had the coaching, but I cant afford it. I'm a fast learner so IM not worried about it.
Can you afford hospital bills and insurance deductable? Time off work?

This sport is dangerously easy, just make sure you put no one else at risk.
If you have a jet ski, I would take it and your gear up around the 3 Rooker, Anclote Key, North Honeymoon area and get dialed in before you attempt to kite at a crowded launch site/beach.

The Dunedin Causeway is not a good place to kite, the wind quality is awful and the launch is real close to the road and power lines.