PDA

View Full Version : Bahama Yacht Charter & Kitesurfing Trip

robertovillate
03-29-2006, 07:36 AM
We will have a 41' cat out of Marsh Harbor, cruising & riding the Bahamas for 10 days.

Any suggestion on good spots to anchor and ride are appreciated. Waves or flat water, it's all good!

cheers

RobA
03-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Abaco area....Don't miss Great Guana, specifically Nippers beach bar. You can anchor in the harbour and walk to the bar.

robertovillate
03-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks,

I'll study up on and check ot those spots.

Any additional info is appreciated from those who know the area.

cheers

kabo123
03-30-2006, 11:39 AM
ya i second that, there should be a audiance and the bar doesnt care if your money is wet.

but you should be able to find hundreds of flats to set up on and ride.
________
Krystal19 (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Krystal19/)

mocean
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
just out of marsh harbor to the left is wale cay or wale point there are some good waves there when the wind has a bit of noth in it.
eluthera has flate water and waves surfers beach is good.
around the area of egg rock hedding in to spanish wells is a rad area flat water.
and then you got nassau if your going to be in the area give me a call or pm me and I'd be happy to show you arround and go through your charts with you for the exumas or andros.
aj

ricki
03-31-2006, 08:51 AM
AJ and the guys have a lot of insight on the Bahamas and all the great riding areas. Lucky guys.

Depending on when you are going, I will have some more info on the Elbow Cay area of the Abacos. Getting hitched over there in late May. I did an advanced visit last August, under a tropical depression, and managed to scope out quite a bit of that area anyway. Chuck Patterson has done some tow in surfing off Elbow Cay and all the way from California. The Sea of Abaco offers some interesting calmer water riding options. They have large beaches along the eastern shores of many of the cays. Lots of options, should be fun. It would be a good idea when exploring new areas near cuts or channels between islands to have a chase boat manned and hanging out. They can have some nuking tidal currents in the Bahamas and once you drift off island ... there you are.

Have a good trip!

robertovillate
03-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the useful info. I have some studying to do!

mocean: nice website. I will definitley contact you before I arrive and would enjoy some riding with the locals.

Sounds like it could be a stellar trip.

any other info is welcome...

cheers

RobA
03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
As far as your sailing is concerned....

Explorer Charts are the best Bahama charts out there...period.

They come in 3 sections, North Middle and south, I forget the exact names, like far out, near island etc, but you would want the north section and maybe the middle (exuma) one too.

The chartbooks are good enough that you probably don't need guide books to go with them. They cover anchorages, eats, marinas etc.

No idea if charter companies provide these for ya, but probably

-rob

PrayFaWind27
03-31-2006, 06:56 PM
That trip is going to be sweet as hell, walking on
virgin beaches,
riding butter flat water,(Damn! You! 9-5!) ;-)
you have to post some pics.
May the wind be with you.

robertovillate
04-01-2006, 02:04 AM
As far as your sailing is concerned....

Explorer Charts are the best Bahama charts out there...period.

They come in 3 sections, North Middle and south, I forget the exact names, like far out, near island etc, but you would want the north section and maybe the middle (exuma) one too.

The chartbooks are good enough that you probably don't need guide books to go with them. They cover anchorages, eats, marinas etc.

No idea if charter companies provide these for ya, but probably

-rob

Thanks for the tip. Always good to have local knowledge!

That trip is going to be sweet as hell, walking on
virgin beaches,
riding butter flat water,(Damn! You! 9-5!) ;-)
you have to post some pics.
May the wind be with you.

I'll be sure to post some photos...your wishes for good winds appreciated!

cheers

BigR
04-01-2006, 07:21 AM
great ghana cay , da bomb!!

was there for our honey moon, blew 25kts everyday.

sweet, have fun Roberto!

robertovillate
04-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Big R,

I'll be thinking of you guys if I can get there.

Thanks!

cheers

moylemuncha
04-07-2006, 12:05 PM
it was a while ago - before I was kiting - I saw a really cool spot that I have ever since longed to try. looked like it had good exposure to East and West wind. It's like a big, shallow, flat water lagoon in between the South End of Guana Cay and North end of Scotland Cay.

You could either take a major hike down the beach from Nippers or go by boat but don't try and drive up in there because it's only a foot ot two deep. If anyone knows where I mean or check's it out please give me some feedback.

MM

robertovillate
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
More great informaton. This is the good stuff I was hoping for....exploring hidden treasures is what I love. Mixing it up with some flat water riding and waves

I will contact all of you soon to see if there is any chance to meet up and ride. I will be conducting a private camp and will be based onboard a catamaran while there, but a hoping to get some free riding in as well.

i need to sort out communications. Does anyone know if Sprint cellular service is available out there? Or are there other systems I can tap into when in Marsh Harbor before we set off?

cheers