FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Default First Stop Collegiate Kiteboarding Tour, This Sat OCT 20th, East Beach, Fort Desoto

Triton Kiteboarding and Eckerd College are proud to announce that we will be hosting the first stop of the Collegiate Kiteboarding Tour this Saturday October, 20th at the East Tip of East Beach, Ft. Desoto in St. Petersburg, FL. The event will take place regardless of forecast and in case of no wind scenario there will be a wakeboard winch as well as waverunners and a wakeskate/wakeboard jam will be held.

*All Riders Meetings, Protests, and Brackets will be at the Red Bull Star Tent

Wind permitting the event will consist of multiple disciplines throughout the day. Registration will open at 9:00 and a riders meeting will take place at 9:30 we would like to have our first course races no later than 10:00 A.M.
We're shooting for the completion of 3-5 course races with varying courses and standardized U.S. Sailing Regulations for Course Racing, they have been appropriately modified for Kiteboarding. This is one of the most progressive kiteboarding disciplines to date.

Around 1:00 P.M. we will have another riders meeting to set up brackets for a boarder-x. We will cap the Boarder-x Registration at 32 riders.
We will have a downwind Boarder-X so as to eliminate equipment advantages that a race with a large upwind leg can create. It will consist of several rounding buoys and several small banana boat jumps. The rest will be explained at the riders meeting but we have ran this format already and it is action packed.

The Boarder-X and the Course Race will be open to local registration on the day of the event. Locals will be able to fill up remaining spots in boarder-x and as many as desired are invited to register for the course race, the events are competitive and collegiate riders will be judged separately but all local riders are encouraged to participate. If we have extra time we will host multiple boarder-x’s.

The final session will be a freestyle expression session. This will be judged by riders for riders. Heat formats will be explained at riders meeting but basically all riders will watch, participate, cheer, and critique. Following the completion of the final heat another riders meeting will be called at the Red Bull tent, voting ballots will be given out and riders and selected judges will vote on Best Rider, Best Session, Best Trick, Worst Wipeout, Best Kiteloop, and Best Sportsmanship. Any local that wishes to vote can be nominated to a judges status through the head of the competition committee, Mike Hall.

This is the first of five collegiate events taking place this year and is geared towards establishing a South Eastern Regional Divisional for the Collegiate Kiteboarding Association. The final event will take place in Key West mid March at the height of spring break in association with Paul Menta and The Kitehouse. A South Eastern Regional Champ will be declared and then the qualifying teams and Collegiate riders will be invited to the USWWO for the Collegiate Kiteboarding National Championships, Just prior to the pro event. (formerly The Velocity Games) From here one College Rider will win bragging rights for his school and their name on the College Cup.

Other events:
#1 Eckerd, St. Petersburg, FL Oct, 20th,
#2 FSU, St. George's Island (Window: First Windy Weekend of Nov)
#3 USF, St. Petersburg, FL (Window: First two weekends of Dec, or Last two of Jan)
#4 TBA
#5 Key West, The Kitehouse (Window: March 14th - March 25th)

Collegiate National Championships, US Wind and Water Open May 8th-11th, 2008

This is the first season this tour has been made possible and for that we'd like to thank the following sponsors, Arnette, Watersports West, Red Bull, The Kitehouse, The Kiteboarder Magazine, X-Rated Kiteboarding, and all other industry supporters.

Inquiries & Registrations should be sent to TritonKiteboarding@yahoo.com
-www.TritonKiteboarding.com
Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 AM

Arrow

Hey, guys, I see you have St. George Island as one of your spots in November. We kite there a lot, and just some info if you haven't been there to kite before. We always go to the state park at the end of the island (make a left when you get to the dead end) and follow the strict speed limit(and it will be painful having to drive that slow for 4 miles!!!). In the park, you can only kite on the Gulf side. The tempting flats on the other side are full of oyster beds and tough access anyway. When you get to the last parking lot by the camp grounds, you can't go any further. A four wheel drive vehicle would be necessary to get to the point on the island, as the roadway was washed out from previous hurricanes. Besides, the rangers only allow fishermen with a pass to go out there and access that point. Other than that, it's a beautiful place to ride. Check out www.emeraldcoastkiteboarding.com for some video of our latest trips over there!! Cheers!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM

Default ST. George

Hey let me know when you guys have the race at St. George. I will be there to take pictures of the event!

RS
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Thumbs up

i will be there all day saturday with camera in tow. let me know if i can do anything to help out.

Last edited by amber; 10-20-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 PM

thanks for all the support guys, amber and roy any and all photos will be hugely appreciated!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 PM

Will bring the camera also, but will be there about 11am as I fly into Tampa at 9:30. So glad to be coming back.

-Roadie
Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up great turnout for today's competition....

I'm sure that Triton will have more details for you all...they did an awesome job hosting this groundbreaking event!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM

yo matt awesome job with everything! Thanks, as always. slider was a fun build! watching billy cut and drill till 4 am was intense! lol
next one will be fun! we should get a bigger trailer for the slider and bring it up there.

amber sent me this picture of me hitting the slider for the first time.
thought i'd post it.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Cool

everyone please note the helmet and impact vest.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM

yeah that impact vest looks nice. wonder where he got that. Definately isnt mine. I love you JT