FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Miami Flats With The Kitehouse

The Miami Flats Playground, endless miles of perfect flat water riding, never any crowds.

The Kitehouse Miami has been working the wind out of the Miami Flats
just south of Key Biscayne. We have been blessed with lots of wind in the early season. Let's hope for more of the same. Here are some recent sessions.

Setting up from the boat is fast and easy. Daniel parks a kite, just grab it and go

Kitehouse instructor Brenden kites by

One of the two Kitehouse Miami customized kite boats for riding the Flats

Life in the Flats, why not check it out?

Warm knee deep water, ride wind from any direction, no waves, crowds or
hassles and minutes from downtown Miami and SoBe.

www.kitehousemiami.com
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Wow, nice looking conditions down there. Just looked up historical winds for Fowey Light miles offshore near the Flats

Compare that plot to something on the mainland like Lake Worth

There is an advantage to being further offshore and closer to the Keys which seem to have more wind, more of the year than mainland areas. Consistently higher winds there.

Lots of water and no ends of flats here

The light at the east edge of the Flats

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 AM

Hi,
This sound like a lot of fun! I don't own a boat to go there. Do you guys knows any boat rental near by, water-taxi or organized trip?

Thanks.
Tony
Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM

That is what the Kitehouse does. Not only beginner and intermediate lessons, but also advanced lessons, water taxi and boat charter. Get a group of friends (up to 5 people) and do a full day or half day charter. You can go explore the whole region, it is all good for kiting. Or just come out for a 3 hour session to Stiltsville.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Water Taxi

Hi Mike,

I just call up the shop and inquired about water taxi. The lady I spoke with said that I can only "tag along" if some one in my group is taking lesson. Is this true? I would be more than happy to pay for my share for the lift to the flats, but there was no option proposed. I hope you can clear this up. Hope to be able to ride in the miami area.

And since Crandon seem to be a very busy area, I like the option of going out to a more remote area.

Thanks

PS I will be here for the next day or so.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Flats water taxi

linhster

That is not true what was said to you. Anybody can come ride with us.

We do offer water taxi to Stiltsville 7 days a week, twice a day (9am and 2 pm) to any upwind rider. Instruction is not included, but there will be instructors in the area giving lessons. Gear rental is available too.

If you are working on staying upwind, we do long downwinder through the flats with your instructor following you in a customized chase boat.

For upwind riders we have advanced lessons, where we teach jumps, transitions and tricks.

Here is a course list:
https://www.thekitehouse.com/prices-miami.php

And some more photos of the Flats:
http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2...s.php?album=24

Mike Minichiello
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM

Default Info

Thanks for posting the correction. Unfortunately I did not have to much time in the Miami area. I wished I had gotten the right info that day. It was blowing about 15-17 knots that whole day (Saturday). I would have signed up for the afternoon session. But after the conversation with one of the staff, I was quite discouraged.

I ended up getting to Crandon late in the afternoon and got my certification and paid the insurance for the day to kite there (I was itching to get out there). Which I would have been more than happy to pay toward the water taxi service.

Hopefully I will be back in the Miami area again soon.

On a different note, I was in Key West on the following Monday early ( arriving on a cruise ship). Made a call to the shop in the morning and left a message (to an answering service) about doing a few hours before taking off again.

I later got a message from Nick ( for some reason it did not ring on my cell). But it was too late. We were already heading to Cozumel. I guess it was not meant to be.