FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 PM

Default looking for Daytona Beach info

I'm going to sound like a total newbie, but I'm looking for information on the kite scene at Daytona, and what it will be like during Spring Break. Are there any restrictions, places you can and cannot kite, things to be aware of? Also, from what I understand, the beach is hard packed sand, and could potentially be good for landboarding. Any information that you have will be welcome!

Also, are there any landboarders up there?

Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Skyway Scott

I would contact ToastSYN on extreme kites forum.
He just wrote this review. I actually don't think landboarding or buggying is allowed in Daytona, but he will know for certain.

http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding....634&highlight=
Old 02-27-2007, 05:54 PM

keep in mind that bikeweek is between march 2nd - 11th along with spring break in daytona. if you're planning on going during that time. i'd go ahead and get a hotel if they're not already gone.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Stacey,

Send me a photo of your Spring Break get up and activities, I'll put 'em up. I grew up a 1/2 block from Spring Break on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. You got used to it after a while, about 15 or so years. Then they cancelled it?

Ponce Inlet may be one of your better options up that way. It is more lightly populated and to my knowledge there are no restrictions. I heard back before 2000 that landboarders and buggiers managed to get a Daytona wide ban on beach based riding. This was common knowledge back then, today, who knows?

Click here for full sized image

They get some great swells up that way, world famous. So, I know you'll be stoked about that!

A look south across the inlet to riders on that side of things.

Your best bet might be Smyrna Dunes Park south of Ponce Inlet. I would watch the tidal currents near the inlet however.

Sat. image:
http://tinyurl.com/yxr34t

Driving directions from Orlando to New Symrna Beach. You need to head further east to A1A and drive north to the Park on the south side of Ponce Inlet.
http://tinyurl.com/y725gy

Otherwise, you can shoot south on A1A to the north side of the Inlet.

I would get in touch with Mike for more info about currrent access issues and local knowledge.

SANDY POINT PROGRESSIVE SPORTS
3109 SOUTH RIGDEWOOD
S. DAYTONA, FLORIDA 32119
386-756-7564

For folks that are interested in all the sights, be sure to checkout the lighthouse on the north side of the inlet. They have a good museum and you can climb to the top. The VR panorama at the top was shot from there.

Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi