FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 AM

Definately no shortage of freaks down there! You guys might need a really tall kite pump where you can pump standing up! Stay safe Greg!!!

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 AM

Default nude beach

Thanks Brad, I spoke to one of the commisioners working for the nude beach yesterday and she said she understands our concerns and will work with us. If things do start to go the wrong way for us I talked to a bunch of the local riders and they will go with me to a meeting with the city, but as of now things seem to be okay, so do not want to rock the boat to much.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 AM

The good thing about Smathers at the present, is that sunbathers don't really hang out there that much, and fortunately or unfortunately - depending on your personal philosophy, the water and the mucky bottom deters people from wanting to swim there. If the nudies move in, then they will have a stake in what goes on there and will undoubtedly be very vocal about their perceived safety or imagined lack of it - i.e. danger from possible kite-mares. Plus they will hog all the parking. If it ever happens, then we get every kiter to bring their camera. Nude sunbathers don't like to be photographed.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Default nude beach

The front page of the Key West Citizen had another story on proposed sites for the nude beach and printed a picture off the launch area at Smathers as one of the recommended sites. I went on the naturists site and found that they are now going to start holding meetings down at the beach. Myself and most of the riders do not have a problem with naturists, we just want to protect our riding area, and bathers where we ride will cause a lot of problems. I have left a message for the naturists to call me as I think it will be better if we can work with them for a solution than against them, I have also been in contact with the reporter who wrote the story and she has promised to mention our concerns in her next article. To preserve our riding area we are all going to need to stick together as a group to show the city we are also a tourist attraction and a positive group of persons who are also beneficial to the city. (the naturist predict a nude beach will bring an extra---wait for iiiitt 287 000 people per year) Do not ask me how they came up with this high number.
At present a lot of the local riders have said they will also get pro active to protect our riding area, I am also going to schedule another meeting with the City Managers office and anyone who would like to come and give their input can call me at (305) 407 6748.

Thanks, Greg
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Default rude beach

Greg, do you have a website or email for the appropriate party that we need to contact to express our dissatisfaction with our end of Smathers Beach being considered as a site for a nude beach? We have a nice peaceful area to ride and the local crowd is very courteous to beachgoers. In fact, I think that we draw a spectator crowd that is very supportive and we tend to have very good interaction with them, with everyone explaining the nature and details of the sport to tourists and bystanders. With the presence of the nudies (I'd call them naturalists like they like to be called, but since the beginning of time it has been the nature of people to wear clothes, not the other way around), the atmosphere will assuredly change for the worse. Should we expect a volleyball net in the launch area so we can watch sagging breasts and wrinkled bodies? As I mentioned before, I think that this particular group tends to be very vocal when it comes to their "rights", and I don't think it would be very long before they began complaining that "these kite things" are a danger to sun worshippers. As far as the number 247,000 goes, that would mean there would have to be an influx of 676 new nudies per day. I find that hard to believe. So maybe they get that number from sponsored conventions or something. Could you imagine 3000 or so nude, sun damaged bodies congregating on Smathers? Then there is the element of "gawkers" who would loiter around the beach.
I've seen a lot of posts on different kite forums with problems of access, safety, etc, but never one so bizarre as this. Would it be possible to get a petition going to eliminate Smathers from the running? BTW, what are the other choices?

Frank
If this does come to fruition, I'm claiming the sunblock concession. Just selling - not applying.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Default nude beach

Hey Frank, their site is fkfb.org you have to join like I did to comment, good luck, and you are very right, they can be a very vocal group
Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM

I think the major reason that "they're" looking is because the Atlantic Shores Resort is no more. The only people that used to go there were women who didn't want straight men gawking at them and gay men. Can you imagine this group on Smathers? I don't think appealing to the nudists is the way to go. Go to the people who decide. The city commission and the mayor. I emailed the mayor with my views.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Default nude beach

You may be right re. going to the people that make the decisions, however if I am not mistaken, two of the proponents for the nude beach are on the city comission or are naturists. This and the fact that some of the guys do not have a problem with a nude beach by us as long as it does not interfere with our riding area. ( This seems unlikely as like you stated, it will not be long before someone complains about "those pesky kiters".

To be safe I spoke to Mike de Roche, Jeremy and some of the other guys about coming with me to a meeting with the Mayor and the City commission, let me know when you will be here and I will try plan it so you can join us( bring some happy gas to help them with their decision).

Greg
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Guys,

Been out of town, didn't notice this issue had come back and perhaps even to a vote soon. Not good at all. I could mount an international email campaign and petition as early as tomorrow trying to preserve our access. I could get some windsurfing sites onboard as well much as in the way recently with the threat in Hawaii. What do you think?

p.s. - I didn't think this would come this far prior to now. I moved your post and added to the subject line Greg. This may have become a serious threat.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 AM

Default nude beach

Thanks Rick, I have been in contact with the mayor and kiteboarding was already on the next city comission meeting, I will also be talking to the city managers office today so lets hope all goes well, if not we will definately like you to get an online petition going for us.

Greg