FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Question about matheson...

Hi all,

Not really a newbie, I can stay upwind no problem in flat water. I had a bit of trouble today in broward due to the swells.

I don't have IKO level three certification...is that required for matheson as well? I would like to head down there to scope it out sunday...but I don't want to step on any bodys toes....

Also, since I' m not familiar with the are yet, is it still flat water even with the ripping conditions?

thx
-
dustin
Old 11-04-2006, 08:05 PM
ruffridah89

wifirewire,
Ever since I can remember back in the day as a newbie, Matheson was a good place for me to practice. No, you dont need to have an IKO 3 to ride there, BUT..........the launch has its own rules that you have to abide on.
The white buoys you see out there is the limit for jumping on onshore winds. Red buoys indicate hidden, underneath rocks(inside the perimeter of the red buoys.) Im guessing your going tomorrow. Expect 8-14 kites out on the water, not including the kites parked on the beach. I suggest you to rig on the beach, connect lines, then wind up the lines and bar and carry your kite and bar out for a good 100 ft. I suggest you to go out past the flags(also, this is an indication for hidden rocks and a wreck as well). Matheson has its goods. For example, since tomorrow its going to be choppy, even in ripping conditions, its basically flat. Remember, this is the bay, not a beach. Surf can be a pain in the ass to go upwind, but once you master on the flats, you will see improvement in Broward.
Anways,
Do wear booties cause the beach doesnt have sand, otherwise, out on the bay, its just shrubs, sea grass, and sand.
Hope to see you in action tomorrow.
If not, good luck dude!
-Danny