FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Default New to the sport, need some advice!

I live in clearwater, i've been a wakeboarder for many years, now i'm making the switch!

I need some help though, on what kind of gear to get, I'd like to meet some ppl to ride with at some point, but mostly right now I am concerned with the type of gear choices.

I'm taking my first lessons friday and saturday.

Any Advice?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 PM

get the lessons over with first before you by gear.. if your into wakestyle go with a hybrid kite. and wakestyle board.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Skyway Scott

The variety of kites out there is pretty overwhelming at first, stick with something simple and not expensive, is my advice. You won't be able to tell a reasonable kite from a great one for quite awhile, anyway.

I would pay more attention to getting a good board, right off the bat, and not have to buy another for awhile (especially if you are fairly certain you will stick with the sport).If you get a board for 250, you will most likely just end up selling it, and buying a better one anyway. May as well get a good one right off the bat.
Boards usually last a long time and are a good investment. I have only broken one in 6 years. So, even if it's a 600 dollar board (still less than the price of one kite, complete), it averaged me about 100 bucks a year. After 3, it would be 200 a year. Most guys spend five times that a year on kites and bars, etc., per year.

I would probably get a used Waroo kite to start, mainly b/c of price. It's a very popular kite and getting a used one (or on clearance) at a great price shouldn't be too hard. After a year, you can stick with the 'roo, or pay more for a more expensive (whatever brand) after trying several locals kites out.

Your instructor should be full of ideas about the right kite and board sizes for you, and so forth. I guess I am saying don't blow a lot on a new "latest, greatest" kite, but also don't skimp on the proper sized, well made board. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Scott hit the nail on the head. Get a good board and the used or clearance Waroo is probably your best bet to start off. The best prices for new Waroos can be found at Ocean Extreme Sports in St. Augustine if you feel you have to go new right off the bat on the kite. You can usually find good deals on www.ikitesurf.com or ebay on used or even new gear sometimes.

What I will add that has not been discussed yet is to get a comfortable harness that fits well and is nice and snug. I think having a comfortable harness is one of the most important pieces of gear you can invest in.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 AM

real kiteboarding is selling waroos for 300$...

talk to your instructor about recommended kite sizes and he/she will give you the proper advice.

a nice wide board would be a great investment. something at least 40 wide and prob 135 long would be a great starter board.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM
invisible

I'll play too... all of the advice so far is dead on. I would also vote for a waroo as a first kite. It's cheap, has a huge range and is easiest to find.

There are plenty of better kites but they will cost 3 to 5 times as much for 5mph more of top end and possibly 2mph better bottom end and a longer lifespan.

I currently own two waroos (16m and 12m) and I am 195lbs and can ride from 8mph up to about 30mph comfortably on these two kites.

The best advice I can give you is to take lessons on a WINDY day. Don't settle for 8-10mph or you will be wasting your money. Yes it's a good day for learning to rig and launch the kite, but getting out on the water in 8mph-10mph is a waste of time.

You want 10-15mph so that you can try all of the different boards and really get a feeling for what the kite can do and for what size board you need.

Insist that you get to come back for a follow up in REAL wind.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 AM

I agree 1000000% with Tom (Invisible)..

learing in the right wind conditions is a huge factor..

I spent too much time thinking I should go out only on lighter wind days and ended up extremely frustrated. A solid 15 to 18 day is great for learning after you have the basics in hand.

I also cannot stress how much getting a friend involved in the sport with you at the same time can help out. I took lessons w/ my friend and we shared one quiver of kites (still do) .. during our learning phase we always had one guy on beach, the other kiting.. when sh*t hit the fan (and it will) it was great to have someone watching your back at all times...

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Tom, hook me up with your Waroo retailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
There are plenty of better kites but they will cost 3 to 5 times as much for 5mph more of top end and possibly 2mph better bottom end and a longer lifespan.
Name one 7 Meter (BEST retails at $494 kite only) kite that retails at $1,482 (3x Waroo Retail) or $2,470 (5x Waroo Retail) for that matter...kite only no doubt!!!

Now let's move up to a 15 Meter (BEST retails at $894 kite only) kite. Name one that retails for $2,682 (3x Waroo Retail) or $4,470 (5x Waroo Retail)!!!

Okay, okay, so let's talk used. $300 at Real used. What other used kites are you finding out there that were used at a school for a whole season that are 3-5 times more expensive??? That is a $900-$1,500 used kite only, no bar and lines included!!!

Best is cheapest but just in appearance. They have a good product and they charge for it. add in a bar and lines and that Waroo isn't so cheap anymore...they get by on advertising a la carte in my opinion. And hey, it works so if it aint broke, why fix it. But I guess my point is that NO kite is 3-5 times more expensive than Best. You'd actually probably have a hard time finding one in similar shape and time used 2x more in price...

I'm just busting your chops Tom! Good points made other than the price thing though!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
Name one 7 Meter (BEST retails at $494 kite only) kite that retails at $1,482 (3x Waroo Retail) or $2,470 (5x Waroo Retail) for that matter...kite only no doubt!!!
I don't recall saying anything about full retail (from Best's website no less). None of my Best kites cost me more than $450. A kite that retails at $1,500?? EASY! Just visit your local shop. It's a 7M and it is over $1500.00. The 12M is 1800.00. 5 x $350 (used waroo) is $1750.00. So there, 3 to 5 times as much as a waroo depending on condition and price.

http://www.watersportswest.com/shopc...&ppinc=search2

Good luck finding one in new condition for $450.

Quote:
Okay, okay, so let's talk used. $300 at Real used.
No. I got both mine for around $400-$450, BRAND NEW. You are right they don't come with a bar. Why in the world would you want to buy a bar for each kite? I don't need 3 bars.

The reason I mentioned the waroo is because you can find them ALL DAY LONG under $450 in new or like new condition, sometimes from Best themselves.

My 12M was $449 (brand new) and my 16M was $400 (directly from best, new but listed as used because someone opened it).

Just because you buy and sell at a loss doesn't mean the rest of the world has to!

Last edited by invisible; 03-06-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You'd actually probably have a hard time finding one in similar shape and time used 2x more in price...
here's one
new waroo 7m = $494
new link 17m =$1149