FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Skyway Scott

That's how I see it too, Danny. I view riding in sub 13 as really just sight seeing. Big kite, slightly smaller, all you are doing is mowing either way. One way might feel more powered, but you are still rarely leaving the water's surface. But, if it picks up to "fun wind", you are already to rock, just by switching boards. I have zero interest in having to switch kites right when the wind gets good.

Around here, where it goes from 11 to 20 in a heartbeat (and quite frequently on Easts), I don't want to be re-rigging when the good stuff hits.

It's more of a philosophy or approach, not so much anything else.
Also, if riding hooked in all the time, it's not so crucial if you are on a larger kite (15m) when it picks up. I could hold that down to 25 knots, and did just that for a full season on my 15m Hyper. My mind set regarding bigger kites in 20 knots has changed quite a bit once I started unhooking though. Unhooking overpowered just isn't really do-able (at least not for me). Meanwhile, riding hooked in litt out of your mind is easy peezy with today's kites.

I guess it depends on your mind set regarding riding overpowered. I don't have much fun if I can't unhook, so riding overpowered gets boring for me. It use to be a blast though, so I can see both sides to the "rig big" approach.
Ok, I am obviously procrastinating a project I am not wanting to do. :roll:
Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM

I think Scott is on the money with philosphy. Many things to consider when purchasing a kite for sure. We have heard that line a ton, but it is so true.

Hook vs. unhook
What range are you really trying to zone in on.
What do you want to feel like and acomplish in that range.

I too used to ride super overpowered, but not so much anymore.
I too am more interested in unhooking.
As with alot of things your gear evolves as you do.

Good luck Big G with your decision. Hope all of our feedback helped.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Skyway Scott

Hopefully all this input helps. I think Gary has enough to work with now for sure.
I got the 50 pound setup to test out what will happen in 10 knots. I am curious if I will sink.

Yeah, I am not against big kites. I rode my 15m RRD almost exclusively a couple seasons ago. I pumped it up one day in 25 to 30 with Tom. (Why is beyond me).
That kite (imo) has more juice than just about anything ever made, so obviously big kites can be ridden in a lot of wind.

I am not trying (or wanting to) put my approach on anyone or talk them out of a big kite. I mainly just wanted to get the idea out there that a great light wind kite without a great board is like putting an awesome outboard on a crusty, barnacle covered hull and expecting to haul butt.
I will always be of the philosophy the board makes a bigger difference than the kite in the light stuff.

If the boards didn't make so much difference, racers wouldn't be pursuing so many odd looking boards and new board designs.

I actually really want one of those custom race board deals. Not so much so I can win anything (cuz I won't), but just for their low end and to haul ass in 15 knots sometimes. I am gonna wait a year til the "right" shape is honed in on a little more and then I think I will get one.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I got the 50 pound setup to test out what will happen in 10 knots. I am curious if I will sink.
stay away from backside... you might sink in the mud
Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I actually really want one of those custom race board deals. Not so much so I can win anything (cuz I won't), but just for their low end and to haul ass in 15 knots sometimes. I am gonna wait a year til the "right" shape is honed in on a little more and then I think I will get one.

Quote:
If the boards didn't make so much difference, racers wouldn't be pursuing so many odd looking boards and new board designs.
I think it is already out.......... duh........ quad fin surfboards with maybe a larger two back fins and or wider tail section.

At least in my experience
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM

R you should see the speed boards they race with in San Fran. Definitely not surf boards, though most are directionals. THey are really into the course racing thing out there. several guys making up their own designs. Cab sponsers a race series on the bay.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Can't Re-member

Thats what I'm talkin about.............. wide in the back

quad

back fins highly comprimised in some way
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Talking

The new Spleen Door will be here on Friday. I do have a lot to review in these past few posts and will base my decision keeping everything considered. I only wish that in the past I would have asked more questions in relation to weight vs. kite size.

As I look back on my past kite purchases, its only this year that I've realized I'm on the higher end of this sports weight class. With that being said, what works for most riders, probably will not work as well for me in the same conditions. I like BIG wind days as I rarely leave the water feeling overpowered on my 15m when others are riding 9m and 11m's.

It sucks though to watch a couple guys tack away from the beach with there kites parked and then return to the start point and then I get in the water, and while working the kite, I still end up down wind. I'm trying to find that balance with the new board and a new kite since sitting on the beach waiting for more wind is lame.

I guess this season I could throw a grill in the truck and give Bayflight a hand with some of those delicious burgers and dogs. Oh, $hit, its to many of those damn B-B-Ques that got me this predicament. Maybe I'll have a carrot instead. Who knows, maybe I’ll share some of my ideas with him on how to rip someone off!!!! LOL....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Another thing to consider, One of the reasons I like having the bigger kite is I can switch to a smaller board in less wind and be "lit" in less wind. I prefer to be on my 132 FLX on my 17m over being on my 145x48 crazy fly on my 12m, especially in waves or chop. Not to mention I can start boosting sooner. 20-25mph + 17m contra 3 + FLX 132 = some serious speed runs on the flats. Just another think to throw in the mix.

Overall the best thing to do is make friends with these kites and try them out. There is a large amount of personal preference in kiting.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 AM

Gabe and Whitey have those race custom boards with the quad and wide tail. They are built heavy you should note. They are the same boards that Kent, Damo, and others are using. I am sure they will let you try one out. They scream upwind like no other board.