FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi
View Poll Results: We need a sign, so inferno made one. Ok or not?
Yeah, it's fine. 17 85.00%
No, no good. 3 15.00%
Everything sucks and I hate signs. (this response will be ignored) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
popeye

Sign has been updated... see top of thread.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM

sounds good.. didn't really read to much on the other post (don't have the time to sit and read a damn book of a post) lol. but the only thing i don't seem to fond about is the colors being tied to our harness..
Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Skyway Scott

Looks good. I was thinking just can the 4 too.
Thanks for the efforts Bryan and others.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 AM

josh..

the main point behind a small, hi-vis clip on the harness is simply to help ID intermediate and above riders. it is not an offical thing.. not something that anyone HAS to wear.. but hopefully would WANT to wear to support the efforts to keep the beaches safer.

no more, no less..

absolutely cool if you dont want to wear it.. if the system takes shape, you might just get asked "do you know how to ride" often by those that dont know you.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 AM

I am really stoked on how this is all going. This process we are on will be the easiest of the hurdles.

Getting signs built and installed will be yet another task but we all seem up to the challenge.

I also like the approach that is being taken towards the ID tags. Again it can't hurt. I think we have to think of this like a campaign. There will be those that don't want to get involved and the "that is fine" attitude followed by some discussion may sway riders to support the idea. I think it will just take some time to get everyone on board especially if they start to see the benefits of it out on the water and on land.

Small detail but if we are going with colors maybe Green should be used for experienced riders with the idea of "green light go ahead" and possible yellow for the beginner with the idea of "caution, watch out". Not to mention a bright neon yellow is much more visible. Red could be used for instructors with no idea except maybe "Hey, stop the hell what ya doin!!!" Just kidding.

On a side note, I want to shout out to Rick for the use of this forum. I think his original goal for this forum was to share ideas about safety. Well Rick, mission accomplished. This is a much more productive way of accomplishing goals especially with everyone's busy schedules. Someone asked when the next meeting is....well it seems we are meeting everyday and it is going well.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Skyway Scott

I agree with "switching" the colors as well. With green for "good to go" and orange for new rider. They make some really, really, bright oranges that are highly visible.

I remember Zack painted over my paint job on a board I sold him with that bright orange stuff. No kidding, the further away he got, the more easily you could see him... WEIRD.

Green meaning "good to go" makes sense too, like Steve said.
Also, once on the water, it won't be that distracting of a color.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
popeye

No preference here... whatever works for everyone.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM

one more simple idea,
the tags are great, but when some one asks me to launch them i cant always see the back of the harness, or when they are up wind of me (like if im on shore and i see them heading towards me)...
maybe we could add taking two strips of colored duck tape and wrap it around each side of your spreader bar, very easy to do, cheap, and will in no way affect any of your gear...
(i am a little concerned that teh tag on the back of your harness may get caught up in a handle pass leash setup, especially when doing passes)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:19 AM

danny.. i dont think there is anything wrong with just asking.. if someone you have never seen before asks you to launch them ask them "have you kited here before?"... good conversation starter.

plus i typically will walk up to someone and ask "can you launch me" and then walk back to my bar..

i ALWAYS ask whomever I let launch my kite "do you know how to launch a kite? have you done it before?"

even with them saying "yes" to both statements I had one very near kitemare due to some idiot launching me before i gave the thumbs up..

also.. I was the idiot once when I thought I knew how to assist bayflite in a launch on his ram-air kite. luckily the winds were not high and he was able to recover from my misunderstanding of what needed to be done to launch those kites. (i had seen Trent launch his numerous times and thought i knew how to do it..)

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 AM

I think it will be more effective if all riders that are intermediate to advanced wear green speedos and beginners wear bright orange bannana hammocks.

This is the only way to see the rider that is coming at you from all angles.

On a serios note, I have been following all of this but have not commented yet. I think the sign is a good idea but I feel its a bit lengthy.

It should be a warning sign not someones first kiteboarding lesson.

No one is going to want to sit there and read the entire thing when they are itching to get on the water.

Then when there is an incident and you ask someone if they read the sign they will say "kinda" or they "skimmed over it".

Is there a way to just hit the high points, a cliff notes version perhaps?