FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 AM

I like my 2 kite quiver.. Well actually 3 kite quiver. I have a 15m ION and a 12m Atom. My 8m Gk Sonic has yet to be used. Still crispy in its bag since July. :x I was counting on a big hurricane season.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Moore
I like my 2 kite quiver.. Well actually 3 kite quiver. I have a 15m ION and a 12m Atom. My 8m Gk Sonic has yet to be used. Still crispy in its bag since July. :x I was counting on a big hurricane season.
hopefully this year will be better
i just need to get my hands on a 5m waroo :shock:
Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Chris, didn't you get the chance to ride Amber's 8M GK Sonic that day at the Skyway while you were helping her a few months back? Maybe she had the ION up but I could have sworn she had the GK that day...

EBone, we're talking about kites here, not sex. I think you may have too much backside on the brain. And I fully agree with you and Jay, STAY UPWIND of newbies on flat kites on a windy day (or on ANY kites for that matter...).

As for the debate, I hope they never stop making larger C's or I am screwed!!! And I fully expect them to stay around. As for learning, yeah they are easier to learn on but in a single 1/2 hour of riding a bow, I had it invert on me twice then try to relaunch and fly backward. Those things are EVERY BIT as dangerous as C kites, they are just easier to learn on. When I throw my C bar, the kite FULLY depowers 99% of the time. I haven't always had that same experience with the bows but maybe I just had a bad couple of sessions, who knows? Yeah, you have to edge more power out of a C but that just makes you better in the long run in my opinion.

And Roy, are you claiming that I am an "Advanced" rider? I am a C rider and I am DEFINITELY not an advanced rider...thanks for the compliment though... :lol:
Old 12-14-2006, 11:07 AM

Yep.. I was riding her 8mGK Sonic, not mine. :?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson
As for learning, yeah they are easier to learn on but in a single 1/2 hour of riding a bow, I had it invert on me twice then try to relaunch and fly backward. Those things are EVERY BIT as dangerous as C kites, they are just easier to learn on. When I throw my C bar, the kite FULLY depowers 99% of the time. I haven't always had that same experience with the bows but maybe I just had a bad couple of sessions, who knows?
pilot error :lol:

ive never had an inversion, ive had the nose fold down a bit, but i was on a 9m in gusts to 40+ so its kinda expected
Old 12-14-2006, 11:19 AM

ive had my waroo 12m invert twice.. once on the very first day on a failed self land where i gave way too much depower and didnt land it correctly.. it inverted and flew fine inside out and i landed it.

second was when it fell on a shore break, tumbled and inverted and relaunched (think Danny was there for this one..) it flew inverted and then POW.. it righted itself and that was that.

Flying a bow/hybrid takes getting used to .. i never use full depower unless i am in a bind and coming in to switch kites. i dont ride my kites to their far upper ranges (thats why i have a nubmer of waroos).. i know that once you push the kites limits it can invert easier.

Toby, i am sure that if you ride your TD more you will see the possibilities of inverting decline drastically in a session or two. It does take getting used to and should be done in moderate winds and in good conditions..
that day you were flying a 16 in its upper range ( Dan was flying the 16m waroo and was flying nearly full depower).. and it was on-shore winds... and just a bit hectic down by the beach area.

Again.. all a matter of preference.

I am 100% bow/hybrid lover but will keep an open mind for what might be around the corner.

I know that Dimitri has his new Eclipse kites that he is claiming is more C like than any of the other hybrids and claims incredible depower... remains to be seen of course.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 PM

I'll try it again of course. I just am really comfortable on my C kites and enjoy them a lot. The extra grunt really helps someone big like me. I'm just going to sit back and wait for once instead of buying everything up and see what happens in the next year or so. Amber also just bought her first 12M, an 06 (She had to have Purple or Pink, got a Pink one) Waroo!!!

I think her learning curve will really start to increase now. She just didn't have the right kite to learn on before. So look out, here comes Amber!!! :wink:
Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM

i've had my kites invert on me several times.. but little bit of a diffrent story.. trying handle passes means missing the handle sometimes.. which causes the kite to fully sheet out when it is in the power zone, sometimes causing it to invert.

i've NEVER had the kite invert on me when i was hooked in or didn't let go of the bar
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM
tomstock

Some hard yanks but no power during the invert, right Josh?

Inverting seems scary but from what I've seen it's not all that bad as long as the kite is fully sheeted out when it happens (which is almost always).

If you inverted (due to something weird like a botched transition) and the bar was stopper balled in place and fully powered up, i imagine you would have your spine ripped from your torso when it flipped over and went through the power zone!

:shock:

My opinion is that flat kites are safer when you are in control, but when something bad happens (inversion, tangled bridgle) they are MUCH more dangerous... that's why people do not like to ride them at the upper end of the range...

I've inverted the 9m waroo in about 25mph. Scary but not as bad as it seemed. It was just completely unexpected.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Question to Waroo riders...

How much of a difference is there in the 2006 and 2007 bars? What are the differences and what is the cost of the upgrade kit? I think I heard it was $100...Thanks!