FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM
tomstock

Yeah.. I felt that way too until I got one. One day on my waroo was more fun than 5 good days of riding my C kites. I was never questioning whether I should go in a pump up a different kite... or muscling the kite to the edge of the window. I rode my 16M from 8-10mph all the way up to 20mph.

The grunt was definitely there if I wanted it (in 15mph), and kitelooping power was a LOT more than my equivalent C kite. The first loop on my 16m waroo slammed me harder than I've been slammed on a kiteloop for a long time. This may have been because I underestimated the wind speed since I had so much depower range.

Nothing wrong with C's tho... if you like steady pull then they've got it.

Heck I like C kites so much I am practically giving them away help keep them from becoming endangered. I let someone adopt my 18M for $100, my 15M for $150, and I am offering up a 21M nemesis for $165. No paperwork required.

Seriously, I think in 2 years C kites will be as common as foils are today. They are still out there, but not very popular. Even Billy Parker is on a hybrid these days.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 PM

Well Trent, Jayson and I will keep foils and C's alive!!! :twisted:

Plus, I think you are VERY mistaken. The flat kite boom will pass and the classic C's will make a serious comeback in my opinion. They are just the buzz of the kiting world right now so most newbies won't even try a C kite...Roy STILL hasn't even TRIED a C kite...how can you prefer something if you haven't tried both options? :?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM

What most likely will happen is that C kites will be reborn with new bridle systems that gives them amazing range so you get the best of both worlds.
I have designed a bar that makes this possible.... any investors out there with $30K??? :shock: serious :lol:
Old 12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Skyway Scott

Didn't the Instinct and Type 8 already beat you to it? I know I think of the Instinct as a C with unreal range because of it's unique method of changing angle of attack.

Regardless of which is "better", it seems reasonable that non SLE kites are going to become rare. Seems like most riders (at least here) are learning on bow/hybrids and alot of experienced riders are switching to SLEs.

It is unlikely that newer riders will switch to a C after learning on an SLE, , unless it utilizes a really good depower system like Jay is mentioning.
I agree with Jayson, that is where it's going. (Uh oh, Jayson).

I am just glad I can ride in 11knots powered on something smaller than a circus tent, and also not have to re rig on those NW coldfronts. :P
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
tomstock

LOL. Well, anything is possible, but kites have continued to get stiffer and thinner... more and more aerodynamic and faster.... following this track kites can only get thinner and flatter (a close to an airplane wing as possible).

If you follow sailboat racing you will see thet the fastest cutting edge sail is actually a solid structure... a vertical airplane wing made of carbon fiber.

My guess is that kites will become stiffer and thinner, and become high pressure inflatables or solid ultra-light composite structures quickly assembled from 3 pieces (center and tips).

Sucks though because I hate change. I avoided flat kites until I just couldn't stand it any longer. Now I wish I'd switched a long time ago.

Seriously though it doesnt matter in the end. Billy or Jayson could ride a C kite from 2002 better and in more wind than I could ever ride my waroo.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Skyway Scott

Speculation can be fun. Having a stiff wing that can twist at the tips to spill off gusts would be cool. That's basically what happened to sails, they twist off gusts at the tips.
Kites are alot more complex than sails though. Much more 3 dimensional forces on them. Also, they have to relaunch, sails didn't (oops not past tense to everyone, just me)

I know I am glad I don't design kites because I bet they have to juggle performance with user friendliness and consistently (probably) have to give in to user friendliness (water relaunch while sitting there and pulling one line, ability to talk on beach ad-naseum w/o looking at kite, etc. ) over kick butt performance. Getting both in one kite must be an impossible challenge.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Hybrid Kites

Yup I have never flown a C kite and one day I will. I have own both Flat and Hybrid kites now. Honestly I think the full Flat kites are ok, but the most fun I have ever had are on my hybrid kites. Funny thing is, I always hear all the old schools talk about how lucky us newbies got it these days with the bow kites. They alway talk about how easy they are to fly, and how much safter they are over the C kites. I hear the C kites have a lot of grunt, but not much depower. You have to take a lot of power out with eding the board. Thats fun and all, but I like it when a big gust hits all I have to do is sheet out and I don't get drug down wind. LOL Honestly I do want to try a C kite, and one day I will. For now I love my bows and hybrid kites. I think C kites will be around, but will become more known as a "Advance" riders kite. I think they will only make 14 meters and smaller in C kites eventually, and riders will have them in there quiver for 20+ knot days. Something that people that boost the big airs and do crazy tricks ride. LOL

I heard the same thing about the 07 Fuels, and looks like a great kite!

RS
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 AM
tomstock

I hope the characteristics of the new fuels are better than the colors because they are UGLY. The graphics look they were done with a speak and spell.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:48 AM
E-Bone

OK, bitchez, here's my Hot Bone Injection into this discussion:

Crazy Jay said:
Quote:
the problem I see is guys riding 12 meter bows in 25 knots who could not hold that much kite normally
Word, Jay, everything is cool until they tangle another kite, tangle a bridle, come unhooked, or break a line. Newbies on a bow or an SLE in big wind always scare the shit out of me. I avoid them like the plague and stay upwind of dey ass.

Skyway Scott said:
Quote:
If it were always solid 20 here, I would be on an 11m Fuel every day.
Hell, yeeaaahhhh, brah. Me, too.

Toby asked:
Quote:
how can you prefer something if you haven't tried both options?
Response: I prefer women and I've never had sex with a guy. Maybe I am just old-fashioned that way.

Tom said:
Quote:
Even Billy Parker is on a hybrid these days.
Billy Parker is a hybrid. One part berserker, one part wildcat, one part flying squirrel, and one part bull. One part bull? Yep, dat's where he gets those huge cojones, amigos.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 AM
tomstock

Billy needs a cape cause I am positive he can fly. Forget wings, he uses brute strength to push the earth away from him.