FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Vault. Drinks like a soda...kicks like an energy drink. I actually am a sugar free redbull girl although the new Pepsi JAZZ is mighty tasty for diet soda. Toby drinks a sick amount of Diet Coke and one day hopes to be a guinea pig for studies on humans with deteriorated guts.

So far I have two underground boards, a Flexi ion and a GK sonic. I have yet to fly a bow/hybrid but am Soooooooo sick of the relaunch of the C-kites (since I'm new, I'm always crashing the dumb thing). If I don't have to run as fast as I can thru muck and water, I'm a happy camper.

Safety is a huge thing and like a lot of you guys said, knowing your bar is key. I have actually gone onto the websites and downloaded the manuals for the bars and read up. They all have minor differences that could mean major problems if you aren't comfortable with the bars.

Stick with what works best for you. I doubt that XXL Toby would prefer the same exact equipment as say XS Victoria for example. Luckily kiting equipment is being made in all shapes and sizes to accomodate our differences. However, I'm still waiting for an impact vest with built in harness to come out that allows room for boobs. I have yet to find one. :wink:
Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Erick..

everyone (even you soon) develops a style they like to ride and there will never be a single kite type/model/size/etc to make all happy.

the best recommendation for a beginner is to get something used to start, focus on safety and learning the rules of the water, make some local friends and see if you can test out a kite or two.

any 2005 or later kite is going to be a quality product.. i'd say to stick with a name brand. c/bow/whatever.. thats your choice.

most here in the area will share out their kite to other riders once they are able to show they can ride and are responsible.

then you can form your own opinions and complete the vicious circle and start telling everyone that their thoughts on the perfect kite are crap and only you know whats BEST. (PUN INTENDED!) hahah!

:P

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 PM
tomstock

I don't think it's loyalty as much as what's familiar, affordable, or just not available from anyone else at the time.

When I took lessons it was all on best gear. The instructor hooked me up with a complete kite for less than anything else available new at the time so it was a done deal. Since then Best has been letting C kites go for $300 or less so I bought them up. I do have one slinghsot fuel that I bought from Scott because the price was right, a Best Float because noone else made the size I wanted for the price I wanted to pay, and a Best bar because the kiteloose bar I spent too much on was a complete piece of crap. Oh, and a $200 anomaly because the Slingshot Glide is a rediculously overpriced square skimboard with toy fins.

I wouldn't call it brand loyalty. I'd just call it knowing when to take someone up on a good deal or knowing specifically what you want and finding out which company makes it.

Most of those deals for me just happened to involve Best gear but it could have been anyone if they had met my requirements at the time.

God knows Best has soiled themselves like many other companies. No way I could be loyal to someone who is just trying to get THE MONEY FROM MY WALLET INTO THEIR HANDS!! I mean c'mon! :lol:
Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM

My Favorite energy drink is Dickens Cider. :wink:

http://www.dickensenergycider.com/

I just love the name!!! I heard a commercial on the radio a while back that had a woman saying " My Friend Jane likes to wake up every morning with a Dickens Cider" I about lost it.. I bought a case and sold it around my office.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Skyway Scott

My Glide is a skimboard with funs
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 AM

No wonder the U.S. economy is in the sh@tter! Everyone sitting around talking about what they drink, instead of being productive on the job......
Damn Kiteboarders...........

My overpriced skimboard with toy fins is worth every penny as I am riding by everyone that on the beach saying "I wish it would pick up just a little more...." As far as the 3/4" fins go, its ALL about the EDGE Baybee. Put on larger ones if you dont like them.

Truly seasoned kiteboarders only drink the finest after a good day of riding.
http://www.bigblackdickrum.com/Rum.html
:shock:
Now, get back to work, SLACKERS! :lol:
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Skyway Scott

This is work, trying to convince Tom that the Glide is a great board.
I have to admit tho, it takes skill to ride it in 14+. Not for the faint hearted.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 AM

that my big fat ass can ride my big fat piece of plywood board with a 12 m kite in 11 -12 shows that a wide and rocker free is the way to be in light winds.

i swapped it out back to back w/ a super phatty one day and tho the SP gave me a bit more speed out the gates, once i got going i didnt really notice a difference. (flat water conditions)..

jumping of course was a different matter as the ply boards are heavy as hell.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-21-2006, 11:12 AM

I think the Glide is a GREAT board! Of course you will always hear me rant and rave about my Underground Magic Carpet 158 but the Glide is no doubt one of the best light wind boards on the water. I think there are both negatives and positives to large fins, small fins and no fins. I have always ridden with 4 larger fins because I like the support they give me. BUT, smaller fins and especially NO fins allows you to switch to toeside more easily, is better in several transitions, etc.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Skyway Scott

Pepsi sux.