FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTaylor

i personally think the waroo is most prone to inverting.
interesting statement... have you ridden every brand of bow???
or is that just some Best bashing going on :shock:
i believe any flat kite, depowered enough, is flying on its front lines and has the possibility of inverting in its upper wind range, but im no physics major :roll:
no, but i have flown the waroo.. just watch it when it flys it flutters ALOT, alot more then any other bow kite i've seen.. not bashing best, just stateing my opinion.. i personally think thoes are most prone to inverting

nothing aginst best.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:00 PM

I dont get what all the hand-wringing is about. I bought a waroo 12 while I was in Hatteras last weekend, rode it for the first time in nuking wind and over head high surf and had a blast and not one problem-even when I got pounded in a breaker! I am still working on jump timing though. I kind of miss the rush from the rocket blast launch when sending a c kite in high winds. The bow is much more gradual.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 PM

like raul said all bow kites invert, up in hatteras bows are all over the place and personally the only kite I saw invert was a Crossbow. It was zipping across the wind in 30 and all of a sudden it was inverted. All bows are prone to inverting hell ebones 9 waroo inverted on tom, the only kite i have seen invert more than once was the Answer.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Skyway Scott

We'll figure it out with time. (this inversion gig) I haven't had this happen yet, but I think being overpowered and pushing the envelope on the higher end of a kite might make it more prone. I don't know. Only personal experience is going to solve this riddle for me.

I do remember a phenomenon polesurfing where we could get backwinded if on too big a sail in higher winds. That sucked and all makes of sails were prone to it.
Basically, we shot so high upwind and other things going on, that more wind got on the "top" of the sail than "underneath" and BAM... we would get whacked and pushed down into the water. The more cambered the sail was the more prone it was. Most kites are really cambered compared to the sails we used. I don't know if it's the same phenomenom or not, but the thought kinda freaks me out a little.

I know that I won't be putting up a 12m anything in 30 and pressing my luck to see if it's the same deal on a kite. I will probably be on a 7m Ion.
Isn't 30 still alot of wind?

Hey, I have an idea. Everyone buy one bow/sle/hybrid (whatever) of a different brand of 12m size and on our first cold front, let's all sheet in and sheet out like mad in the 35 knot gusts while trying transitions.
First one to invert and get whacked wins :shock:
Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Flaccid Member

I have been flying my Sonics in about every condition that I could for a year. I have pulled it across the window with it sheeted out fully and so far nothing has happened (knock on wood). Now the Sonic looks exactly like the Waroo (same kite?) except for the bridal. In the Sonic you put a knot on the bridal (where the pulley runs) so that the kite cannot depower past a critical point. I think at least.
Anyway, my question is what happens in an inversion and what should one do in the situation???
Old 08-21-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I have been flying my Sonics in about every condition that I could for a year. I have pulled it across the window with it sheeted out fully and so far nothing has happened (knock on wood). Now the Sonic looks exactly like the Waroo (same kite?) except for the bridal. In the Sonic you put a knot on the bridal (where the pulley runs) so that the kite cannot depower past a critical point. I think at least.
Anyway, my question is what happens in an inversion and what should one do in the situation???
depends on how you ride, i ride with my leash connected to the CL, if you ride like that then ditch the kite if on shore. if far from shore, it will cash into the water. if you ride with your leash connected to a line, then hit the QR, and problems solved, but is a bitch to untangle lines.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
tomstock

Basically when it inverts it flips inside out and the kite is powered again but going the opposite direction with controls reversed.

When I rode the waroo, I was having a good time jumping and going from 0 to mach 3 in .1 seconds and then did a few jumping transitions. They were sooo much easier on that kite that I decided to do a real big one. So I jumped, threw the kite across the window when it happened.

The kite flipped inside out and back to normal about 4 times really fast. Each time it "popped" it yanked me about 10 feet down wind. After being dragged about 30 feet into the crab trap area and towards the road, it inverted again and the lines tangled... the kite started looping. At this point I was shitting my pants because the highway was directly down wind and the leash was connected TO THE CHICKEN LOOP (Like Josh's?).

Obviously just pulling the chicken loop release wouldn't do anything except leave the kite powered and looping with the bar out of my reach (because of where the leash was connected).

So, my two remaining options were to ditch the kite and leash completely and watch it go into the road, or hang on and hope something less bad happened soon.

Since it was not my kite I elected to hang on and hope for the best. Luckily after about 4 - 5 loops one of the tips hit the water and the kite crashed. It relaunched pretty easily and I spun the bar a few times and all was good. I immediately rode back to the beach and returned the kite.

So that was my first experience with the wAAAAAAh-whew! in a nutshell.

I had a feeling it was going to invert on me because on the beach when I pushed the bar out the kite would start fluttering really bad and act like it was ready to invert any second. I asked why it did that and the answer was "I dont know, but dont push the bar out!". :roll: :roll:

I love these kites, waroo included, but if pushing the bar out can cause it to invert while standing on the beach then something is definately wrong. It should fly on two lines with threat of inversion.

Of course, when it DID actually invert, it was my own fault. I was basically pushing it to see how it behaved when pushed too far. I just got a little more than I expected.

-tom
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Skyway Scott

I don't know. This seems like a good argument that bows aren't for beginners, is it not? Or is inversion rare?

I have never had anything like that happen on a C. This season is going to be interesting with all the Waroo and other Bow/Sle owners around, that's for sure. I don't want anyone to get hurt, that's for sure, but man I am curious to see this for myself.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Can't Re-member

Inversions are rare, IMO bows are great kites for beginers and experts alike,

You can take a bow kite out in humongous amounts of wind and they won't invert,

just don't push that bar out more than is needed especially if flying it fast across the window ,

You won't have any problems, I've ridden my bows 1 year now and never had an inversion issue
:lol:
:mrgreen:

It's all good 8)
Old 08-22-2006, 12:44 PM
E-Bone

I've had more trouble with my body inverting that with my kite inverting.

The best was when I broke a pulley bar at East Beach right at the start of a jump and headplanted into the mud. I had mud in my ears, for f*ck's sake! I dragged back into shore with Crazy Jay laughing at me.

Rider inversions. Definitely more common than kite inversions.