FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-20-2006, 06:41 PM
tomstock

Default Which size waroo?

Hey waroo riders/ex-riders... I'm thinking about buying a waroo (because of price) to fill the average conditions around here. I am thinking either a 12m or a 14m. I am *guessing* the top end of the 14m is close to 30mph, so that really sounds like the kite for me.

I want something to cover the range of my 21m, 18m, 15m, and possibly 13m. As far as I can tell the 14m waroo might do that, but then again so might the 12m?

Think so?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:46 PM

youre more than welcome to try mine, if we ever get wind...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Quit yer whining good buddy, the wind is but a month away...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM

and ill be ready with my 9m 14m waroo, 20" TD bar , and my custom 132x41 waterboard being made as i type, also a new 2006 LF waist harness with handle pass loop, and my custom surf board with straps for the east coast, oh yeah, im ready for this year...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:13 PM

i can hold my 12 switchblade down in 30, but it's sketchy. 20-25 is fun, and i can start riding on a 133 custom and my 12 in about 12 knots

10 on a big board, but no fun.
I weigh about 140

the 12 would be good for you in like 14-35, the 14 in prolly 12 or less up to maybe 30
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
tomstock

Danny have you seen any of those waterboards up close? Curious to see how it comes out.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:48 AM

Tom.. you will get great low / med end on a 12 or 14.. my 12 replaces my 11 - 15 C kites and goes even further.. i can usually ride it fine when others are out on 16s.. a 14 will extend that more of course.. i suspect that a 14 will cover all those sizes you are looking to replace..

but..
i dont think you can count on either the 12 or the 14 to cover you in the upper range of 30.

risk of inverting skyrockets at those points..

i had to ride my 12m nearly completely depowered in 25 and it was SKETCHY.. i threw up my 9m and it was perfect.

anytime im out on my 12m, just ask to take it for a spin.. always best to try before you buy!!! you can demo my gear anytime you want.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-21-2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty
Tom.. you will get great low / med end on a 12 or 14.. my 12 replaces my 11 - 15 C kites and goes even further.. i can usually ride it fine when others are out on 16s.. a 14 will extend that more of course.. i suspect that a 14 will cover all those sizes you are looking to replace..
actually, i remember two different times that you were on your 12m and i was riding my 21m
Old 08-21-2006, 05:36 AM

yep.. with a big fat flat board i can ride in very light winds.. and im no where close to a small guy.

i am going to get a 16m very soon tho to get even more power for those days.. but i KNOW that my 12m will be my go-to-kite for this upcoming season. last year i bounced between an 11 a 13 and a 15 C kite.. my 12 covers that and then some!

i just dont have much water time with a waroo in its upper range. most problem / concern / incident you read about online where people are inverting or whatever on their bow kites is when they push that upper range .. could also be that some people take BEST's ranges as the gospel and take their kites out in conditions that require a smaller rig.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
tomstock

Yikes, I inverting near shore in 25mph sounds like a near death experience. I inverted EBone's 9m in 25 and it was not a fun experience, but amazingly the kite relaunched itself after smashing my groin about 4 times from various directions. Still undecided but it sounds like the 12m might be the best choice. Really if it's less than 15mph I'm not having much fun anyway regardless of which kite I'm on, so loosing top end for 2mph additional low end is not such a great tradeoff for the 14.