FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-23-2008, 05:57 PM
<jason

Unhappy please shuffle your feet....

Took a stingray to the foot today at BB.....
It hurt extremely bad, probably the worst pain ive ever felt... Not exagerating...

Thanks so much to the kiter( cant remember his name ) who packed up my kite and even took most of my crap to the car... You Rock Bro..

Watch out for those little f'ers they will ruin your day for sure..

Also i cannot forget the rangers at ft desoto those guys are awesome
Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM

thats unusual for this time of year, normally you don't see them until the water is 75-80 degrees. I guess you had a painful reminder for all of us not to let our guard down knock on wood ive never been hit but ive sure kicked a lot of those things over the years. Did they use the bucket of hot water trick on ya?? supposedly it helps quite a bit with the pain. Anybody else heard that??? cuz i'm definetly not a marine biologist

Last edited by Chad085; 02-23-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:53 PM

The barb on a stingray is not a hollow bone with venom running through it. A lot of people think that the barb is similar to the fangs of a venomous snake, however, it is not. The barb, or bone sticking out of the base of the tail, is just that, a bone with many little barbs. When stepped on, the bone pierces the skin/bottom of the foot and gets stuck in place because of all the barbs. This then pushes in a variety of toxins and bacteria, causing extreme pain, and the possibility of a severe infection.
Be sure to get some antibiotics and let that foot heal well!!! Get well soon!!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Stingray toxin

The toxins associated with stingrays are proteins. Heat breaks down proteins and thus the toxins. The only treatment is to soak the area in as hot of water as you can tolerate (but not so hot as to cause burns). And of course, applying topical antibiotics should reduce the chance of infection after you're done soaking.

Hope that's of some help
Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Skyway Scott

Here is a decent link.

I got one in the hand 20 years ago when doing marine research (gill nets).
It hurts for sure. If hit bad, I personally would go straight to the emergency room for fear of infection if nothing else.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/sting...article_em.htm
Old 02-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Proper treatment of the initial symptoms is important but dealing with potential infection may be even more significant. I have heard of a number of these that became chronically infected with complications for some months due to no to poor antibiotic therapy.

A pretty recent medical paper with good information appears at:
http://podiatry.files.wordpress.com/...f-the-foot.pdf

Heal well and fast!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 PM

I've heard hot soapy water.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM

The other important thing is to be sure the wound heals from the inside out. Sometimes, the superficial layers of skin heal first, and bacteria gets closed in to the wound, therefore, creating a horrible infection. Oral antibiotics are usually necessary, and how about a tetanus shot? Have you had one recently?? You really need to watch this!!! Even if it feels better today compared to yesterday, that doesn't mean an infection is not brewing. Pain in the jaw can be a sign of tetanus.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
<jason

Default thanks for the links

I havent had a tetanus shot since i was in the Coast Guard... so probably 7 years ago...

Although I cant walk on it, it does feel a lot better... but it feels hot, which makes me think it might be infected...

The rangers gave me the hot soapy bucket thing.. but seemed lax on medical care, bascially said if it looks infected it is ... then I should go to the hospital... otherwise I just deal with it... ( they were nice and all )...

They also said the booties might help but probably not... and I said "well that sure sucks"

All I can say is I hope that Never Happens Again...:shock:
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Skyway Scott

Thanks for the informative link Rick.