FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Default The KiteMasters Return

www.TBKM.org

After two spectacular years of kite racing the TampaBay KiteMasters returns again! This year we are going "Back to the Bay" for another 19 mile downwind run.

In 2006 over 30 contestents raced the bay course and local Chris Barrs of Tampa came away with 1st place. In 2007 over 60 racers conquered 25 miles of the gulf from Honeymoon Island to St Pete Beach. Another local, Billy Parker, was first to cross the line.

Who will be crowned 2008 TampaBay KiteMaster???

New this year: SPEED RUNS!!!!!
After the race we will know who is the fastest rider over 19 grueling miles but who is the fastest sprinter? This year will be holding the first ever SPRINT RUNS .
Once all riders have completed the race and been accounted for we will begin signup for this exhibition event. Riders will go out in 5 person groups for 8 minute heats. Each person will be given a wrist GPS that will measure their speeds. The goal is MAXIMUM SPEED (over any distance) so bring your big kites too. Top 3 fastest riders get to keep the GPS
(* This event will only be held if wind at the north skyway riding area is a minimum sustained wind of 20 knots.)

PREPARTY:
The preparty is scheduled for February 9th at Watersports West http://www.watersportswest.com/ at 6pm. Steve, John, and Steve-O are working hard to put on a great party for us so come out and support your local shop. Food, drinks, and entertainment will be provided.

Race Details:
The 2008 race course is the same as the 2006. Riders will begin on the Gandy beach. The first 3 miles is a shallow flats area passing by scenic Weedon Island Park. Then it's several more miles of flat water before reaching downtown St Petersburg. Riders will pass the historic downtown pier with the city as a backdrop. Then it's back to the flats for a 4 mile high speed run through some of the smoothest water around. Once you reach Pinellas Point it's only 4 miles to the finish at the north skyway riding area. (for detailed race course: http://www.tbkm.org/location.htm

RIDERS: Look Here!!!!
All riders must sign up at http://www.tbkm.org/registration/registration.htm asap. Cutoff will be on Feb 9th at the preparty. NO EXCEPTIONS. Waivers and entry fee must be in to me be the end of the preparty. Entry fee is only $25. add $35 if you want an official Race Jersey. (please specify size). Get your waivers and payments in now if you want to race
ALSO: ALL riders are reponsible for having transport back to their cars after the race.

SPONSORS:VOLUNTEERS
We could not have this event without the help of our sponsors and volunteers. WaterSports West has once again stepped up to be the main sponsor of our event along with RedBull and many others. Chris Moore, Tammy Falls, Amber Platowski, and Toby Wilson have been working for months helping organize this great event. Be sure to buy 'em a beer when you see them.
If you or your company is interested in sponsoring this years' event please contact me by replying to this email.
We are also in need of volunteers to help at the start and finish line.

Post Party:
The post party is tentatively scheduled to be at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. Since our race date is wind dependent we cannot book the beach and bar there. Hopefully it will be available on our race day. They will be offering room discounts for out-of-towners. I will provide a contact person at the hotel in my next email. Location and hotel info here:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ss/...questid=189771

More info will be coming soon.
Remember to get your waivers and fees in quick. See y'all at the preparty!

Jayson Orkins
TBKM
Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Post Party:

you can keep me informed for the post party please.

thank you
enrique
check our new web site www.swfloridakiteboarding.com
under construction
iko instructor #3301
Naples kite boarding lessons , gear , kite trip , rentals
http://www.naplespaddleboardingrentals.com/
Naples paddleboard rentals-kayak tours -summer camp -meet up -news
http://www.naplespaddleboard.com/

naples,marcos island,bonita beach,san carlo, fort myers
Store 953 3rd ave north naples Florida
239-601-2700
Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Hello jay,

Jay, im considering in joining your race. Im 14 and i was woundering if you had a youth division in your race or do i have to compete against the mens.:lol:
Old 02-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Default What wind directions will u run the race in?

J.

Looking forward to another downwind race, thanks for hooking us all up with the organization bro.

What wind directions will you run the race in.

And....how shallow are the flats? can a directional board with 4.5 inch fins get through there?

Gebi
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM

On perfet conditions you can NOT get thru the flats with fins much larger than 2". The other day I ran the course and it was so shllow you needed a landboard.
Dependent on the tide it can be anywhere from dry to 18" deep in the flats area.
We are waiting for a strong NNE, EEN, or E wind. We want to have at least 20 at the finish line to hold the sprint runs.
Jay
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Question

jay like daniel said is there guna be a youth divison
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM

No youth. Men and women.
Maybe next year.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up alright

Thats all i needed to know Jay.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 PM

Since we have so may youths involved I might be able to throw in some goodies for the top 3. We will call it the unofficial youth division.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM

Default ride?

any one riding over from the treasure coast area will to car pool with me?