FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Default KiteMasters Update 2_1_2008

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008

The 2008 TampaBay KiteMasters Kickoff party was held last Saturday at WaterSports West. Thanks to John, Steve L, Steve-O, Mary and Grillmaster Steve for hosting an awesome event. Over 130 people enjoyed live music, great food, and plenty of RedBull concoctions.

The raffle was very successful, for Gary Henderson it was extremely successful. Gary bought big and won big taking home a new Cabrinha board, liquid force bindings, and numerous other prizes. Thanks to everyone who played and to all the sponsors who donated. We will be having another raffle at the post party so do like Gary and buy alot of tickets.

It looks like we are going to have some wind this weekend but unfortunately it is from the wrong direction. We will continue waiting for weekend wind for the next 2 weeks. On March 3rd we will go on the first available day that has winds of 20-30 knots from the NE or East.

Right now we have another KiteMasters record --- 121 confirmed riders! (see riders here: http://www.tbkm.org/riders.htm)
The first year (2006) we had 37 riders leave the Gandy and race to the finish. (see bottom pic: http://www.tbkm.org/ ) I can only imagine what its going to look like with three times as many riders.

Please stay tuned for more updates.

Jayson Orkins

www.TBKM.org
Old 02-16-2008, 12:58 PM

Talking

after april 3rd, would it still be in the morning, or after noon, i would definatly skip school for this so no worries.
down town St. pete
12m flexifoil Ion (Rasta)
16m switchblade 2 (blue)
a fresh new freak dog board
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 PM

I drove by the Gandy bridge the other day and try to envision over 100+ kites along the sand. That is going to be one sick site. Congrats to all that are making this historic race a reality. Should be epic.

I am no race guru by any stretch....but a friend of mine who raced Hobies gave me some good advice. He said if something is going to go wrong, it will probably be at the start with all the congestion. So if your not planning on winning the thing....wait patiently for a good opening and go for it. I know of some good riders last year that got hung up on the start and never even got to finish.

Take some time to practice your self rescue. I think I won the self rescue award last year. Many get new kites, but don't practice the technique of self rescue on the new gear. Know what to expect from your gear, and it will treat you well. Wear a knife. Lots of obstacles out there. Get a waterproof case for your cell phone and bring it with you. I think with as much coverage that this race will get, we will send a bad message by not having some type of flotation. Use Google Earth and study the course well. Don't overdress for the temps as you will be working very hard.

I will gather some instructors before the race to review self rescue techniques with anyone that wants to go over specifics with their gear. Each kite is different.

Alright lets race already!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Great information Steve-O! I completely agree with you. I for one have been off the water for some time and will be more than happy to assist with launches and getting anyone out in the bay before heading out.

Just as info, I'm flying a new proto-type 40 meter aluminum foil kite that I have been designing feverishly in my under ground lab. Sponsored by Reynolds Wrap, I think I might be on to something... and as you know, "Its all ball bearings nowadays..."
Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 PM

I'll be using an old 20m C kite and a slalom ski, look out!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Skyway Scott

I am gonna take off pretty late too. I may wait as much as five to ten minutes.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson View Post

Just as info, I'm flying a new proto-type 40 meter aluminum foil kite that I have been designing feverishly in my under ground lab. Sponsored by Reynolds Wrap, I think I might be on to something... and as you know, "Its all ball bearings nowadays..."
does that thing pick up HBO???
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad085 View Post
does that thing pick up HBO???
Only when I'm wearing the aluminum foil protective helmet... but shi*, what good is HBO without hearing the voices!

Later fellas~
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Tom Stock

The first kitemaster's race was at the gandy also. Two tips: Rig bigger than you feel is "comfortable" (WITHIN REASON). It's a down wind race. I rigged a 13 while most rigged 9's. I believe the winner was on a 15.

And, watch out for the submerged concrete, rebar, and beer bottles. There is some nasty stuff just inches under the water. The first 100 yards is sketchy. Don't be jumping on the way out... just concentrate on getting out safely.

This is a really fun down winder... one of my favorites. Not racing this year but will probably tag along and retrieve boards during failed relaunches, etc.

If you see me pass you don't stress about it, I'm not racing I'm just overpowered

-tom
Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM

folks might already have a planned out start method, but here's one that I think would work perfectly for this race..
You would split everyone into groups..
depending on those that are really in contention to WIN, your first group would be those riders.. then divide the remaining folks into 2 or 3 smaller groups.

- Those that are in it to win it would be line 1. They would rig, launch and ready to go on the mark.

- Those in line 2 would have their kites ready.. but not launched.

- Race time Mark and line 1 goes.

- Line 2 launches and there is exactly a 2 minute Gap

- Line 3 ready to launch as soon as Line 2 goes, another 2 minute Gap

- Etc Etc..

- If everyone has a number like last year and they are in the appropriate line they can mark their time minus the Gap minutes.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa