FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 AM

Default In Tampa this week, where to ride?

Hello all,

I'm in Tampa for a week with my wife & baby and was hoping to get some riding in. I'm an experienced rider (4 years) from MA (CAPE COD RIPS!). Anyhow, I know how senstiive local spots can be and don't want to ride anywhere I'm not supposed to be, or break any rules / laws. I'm actually staying in Ellenton. I've done some research and can see that people ride at Skyway bridge, Honeymoon Island, Fort Desoto Park, and some more spots...I'm just trying to figure out where the best spot would be. Can anyone share some insight ?...looking for a relatively safe place to ride, where my wife & baby can chill on the beach without being hassled. Looks like some potential for wind tomorrow (sunday)? Also, do I need to wear a shorty or are swim trunks fine? Keep in mind, I'm used to 60degree water where I'm from.

Thanks in advance. I'm really hoping to get some good riding in down here.

-Tim
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Can't Re-member

today or tomm. a little wind may make it here from the south ( warm ) direction, its trying right now. the best spots are around sarasota, east bch @ft desoto or maybe dunedin or st pete bch.

wedns. almost any beach along the gulf coast has a good shot of seeing 25+++kt from the North and 40 deg. temp. w/sand blasting conditions

after that it'll settle down a bit and the skyway or east bch again should be good once it turns NE
Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Skyway Scott

Hey Tim

I think Tuesday and Wed. are going to be good, as Raul said.
I don't care how tuff you are, Mr. Cape Cod, you will probably need a wetsuit on Wed!

As far as I know, most areas around here are very safe. The beaches in St. Pete are safe, for sure.

Can you ride on Tuesday? If so, you might be able to do a downwinder. That's always a treat.
If not, if it is NW, they are plenty of spots for your wife and baby to hang out in while you ride along St. Pete beach.
They can watch you ride and not have to be freezing right on the beach, or be on the beach and take a break.

Keep in touch with us in the "Let's Ride" section (this section), we can narrow down a place to ride and hook up with some locals for you.
It shouldn't be hard, we haven't had wind for a while, so I suspect at least 15 (maybe more like 40) riders will be out on Tuesday.

Wednesday looks flat out over the top. When Accuweather is saying gusts to 45, we have some issues.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Anything over 25knots and I'm probably screwed with my quiver (16M xbow and 12M SB). Flags are blowing here now, so maybe I can get in some riding today & tomorrow. I'll post if I get out!

Thanks again,
Tim
Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 AM

down winder??? could i possibly try your ion on the down winder? please!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Hey Tim

I think Tuesday and Wed. are going to be good, as Raul said.
I don't care how tuff you are, Mr. Cape Cod, you will probably need a wetsuit on Wed!

As far as I know, most areas around here are very safe. The beaches in St. Pete are safe, for sure.

Can you ride on Tuesday? If so, you might be able to do a downwinder. That's always a treat.
If not, if it is NW, they are plenty of spots for your wife and baby to hang out in while you ride along St. Pete beach.
They can watch you ride and not have to be freezing right on the beach, or be on the beach and take a break.

Keep in touch with us in the "Let's Ride" section (this section), we can narrow down a place to ride and hook up with some locals for you.
It shouldn't be hard, we haven't had wind for a while, so I suspect at least 15 (maybe more like 40) riders will be out on Tuesday.

Wednesday looks flat out over the top. When Accuweather is saying gusts to 45, we have some issues.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 AM

Heres another out of towner checkin in.

I'm down from Seattle, wa. And I'm starving for some time on the water. What are peoples best bets for today? I'm 100% willing to make the drive from here in Orlando to Sarasota.

If not today then I'll just make plans to be out there Tuesday for sure.

-Tyson-

If anyone in the Orlando area would like to hook up and kite around here feel free to gimme a ring 253-334-1202.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM

I hit East Beach today - SICK! One of the best flat water sessions of my life. Being from New England, Im used to riding in 3 foot chop. Flat water is hard to come by...especially 70 degree water with 80 degree air temps. A bit crowded, but it was a blast! Hopefully I can get out again tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Tom Stock

Awesome glad you loved it! FWIW there are other spots that aren't crowded... but EB is the "Main" spot for a south wind.

Tomorrow doesn't look good... maybe really early like 8am.. but everyone says Tuesday looks good. Weds look cold and ballistic from the North (no fun).

Get ready the cold wind is coming.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:02 AM
Can't Re-member

Hey Tim, that wasn't you that was originally setting up to launch at the other non-kiting east beach , right?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 AM

ya tim .. you basically hit the jackpot..

wind has been scarce around here.. and for it to hit with a nice solid warm day on a weekend was damn awesome...

EB is our pride and joy. Ive had a lot of great sessions in the past 3 years of riding.. but all the truly amazing ones have been at EB on those strong SSW winds.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa