FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Best practices on the bow kites

What's the best way to self-launch and self-land a bow kite?

[Looks like traditional "sand/wingtip" self-launch doesn't work too well on bows...]
Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM

I don't know if its the best way, but I have had great success using a canvas bag with a snap shackle on the handle.
Fill the bag with sand and clip the snap shackle on the chicken loop.
For launching simply flip the kite on its side and position it at the edge of the wind window. Walk back to bag, release the chicken loop from snap shackle, hook in and pull the bar to launch kite.
For landing, put kite at the edge of window, let go of the bar, clip the snap shackle to the chicken loop and go secure the kite.

A similar method involves driving a stake or piece of PVC into the ground and hooking the chicken loop to it.
If you are riding at a spot where you can pull the car up to, using the trailer hitch ball or bumper with a rope/shackle can be used to self launch and land the kite.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Best practices on the bow kites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russky
What's the best way to self-launch and self-land a bow kite?

[Looks like traditional "sand/wingtip" self-launch doesn't work too well on bows...]
No it doesn't as you have discovered. The more wind you have the worse it functions. Eagle has covered the anchoring techniques well. Just make sure whatever you use as an anchor won't be pulled up by the flat kite in gust surges.

There are still other techniques involving pivoting the kite for launching and landing. I have been using the launching technique for sometime, it works well. Basically, you pretend the kite is on water, leading edge down and go through the motions of relaunching it. You don't want any sharp stuff to be in the sand of course.

NOTE: I heard about a rider that came close to getting killed by doing a solo pivot landing technique by NOT disconnecting the chicken loop FIRST. The accident story is astonishing and I hope to write about it once I receive first hand details.

Paul Menta has some photos of various bow kite techniques including solo launch, landing, self-rescue, etc. at:

under Bow-Tech at:
http://www.thekitehouse.com/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Skyway Scott

Here's a decent vid. I have been using this method.

http://www.flyozone.com/downloads/in...elf_launch.wmv
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Thats how I self launch.. Sometimes I trust this method more than I trust people to launch me. Unless it's really nuking and there is a lot of people on the beach.

I was self launching at St. Pete one day and I was about to launch when a cop on a ATV checking out the girls almost drove right through my lines. I was yelling and he stopped short of my lines. They would have been a bad situation. I would of have given him my alias name of Skyway Scott to avoid any citations. :P
Old 09-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Flaccid Member

I still worry about the wear on the kite with that method. I have been using the 18" camping stake

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

with carabineers attached. This has worked well so far...even in a way overpowered self-landing. The only problem I have found with this method in general is that gusts will yank the chicken loop, which will pull it off whatever you have it attached to. The carabineers stop this from happening. I figure with my GK Sonics sitting on their edge depowered a gust maybe could pull the chicken loop with (maybe at most) 30-50 Lbs of force. I figure these stakes can hold 175-200+Lbs...so it should work for most conditions.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM

even better then a stake, the long metal cork screws you use to chain your dog to, if a 100lb rottie cant pull it out, my kite sure as heck wont

on a side note, if you use either of these methods please clearly mark or remove it from the ground, especialy on busier days or i forsee major problems on the beach
thanx
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Flaccid Member

I have the rig painted bright orange and a traffic cone to place over it when not in use. I thought the same thing!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 AM

12 and 16m waroos.. fold and sand.. works like a champ every time. i dont like the pivot method unless i have a big area and soft sand.. typicall conditions lately have been kiting at skyway NO WAY im going to intentionally let my kite drag across the ground there.. ( i do that enough on accident)

also..
another method that works!
dont fold but just set a sandbad on the wing tip with the a coil of the back lines underneath the bag.. walk back.. tension that back line and the sandbag will pivot off the wingtip and the kite will launch.

i do want to start using the stake in the ground method.. using a climbing shackle is prob the best idea to prevent disconnects..

also.. good idea to not only clip in the CL to the stake.. but clip the leash to a secondary stationary object in case the CL comes loose. guys will wedge their boards into the sand and clip their leash to that.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Default much like the sand bag

if you dont have the room on the beach, or your worried about wear and tear. Get a small boat anchor, snap, and a float. You well be able to launch and land in the water. This also works on land.

I have been useing the self launch from paul menta (kitehouse) it really works great, I have not noticed any wear and tear from launches.
________
butt Cams

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.