FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM

As it should be. Trust me, I wish it were always that way.

Again, I don't enjoy complaining. But, facts are facts and people should be aware of the possibility of encountering Miss Bitch driver. She exists.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
stpetesal

I am still waiting on a call, Mrs. Howard forwarded my phone call to the Safety department, and they are going to call me with an answer either way. I did tell her I would be more than happy to bring some gear and show them just what we have, not much really. I hope I did not open a can of worms, but I would rather know one way or the other so I do not get stranded, if I truly have to be someone where on time. Mrs. Howard said her son Eddie is a kite surfer, so I am sure she is aware of the gear. I usually go with friends so we can use our cars, but as Roberto stated when you are solo it is a great resource, and is great for all if they let everyone use it. BTW If I did not screw of two Sunday ago and bruse some ribs at EB, I would be with you guys kiting, mowing the lawn sounds good about now.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetesal View Post
I am still waiting on a call, Mrs. Howard forwarded my phone call to the Safety department, and they are going to call me with an answer either way. I did tell her I would be more than happy to bring some gear and show them just what we have, not much really. I hope I did not open a can of worms, but I would rather know one way or the other so I do not get stranded, if I truly have to be someone where on time. Mrs. Howard said her son Eddie is a kite surfer, so I am sure she is aware of the gear. I usually go with friends so we can use our cars, but as Roberto stated when you are solo it is a great resource, and is great for all if they let everyone use it.
Let me know if you need any help making a presentation or educating them. Also, If we had a way to demonstrate/proove/convince them that - over the last 5+ years i have been riding the trolley with my gear - I have yet to hear of one incident or potential safety issue and that we are all very good at keeping our gear from being a hazard. In fact...we are probably more worried about our gear than our own safety and they don't even have seatbelts on those trolleys, so where do they draw the line? airbags? carbon fibre tubs for each passenger? ejection seats with parachutes would be cool too...but in all seriousness I think we could easily show them that we are not creating a hazard for anyone and that 95% of the drivers who do allow us to ride exercise enough good judgement to permit us to ride.

Maybe if we did a quick poll here:
-how many times have you ridden the trolley with gear?
-how many times a safety problem?
-how many times denied boarding?

Sometimes these people like facts and figures. Seems silly we would have to take this approach, but if that is what it takes I'm happy to do it.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
stpetesal

I just talked with the Safety director and they are still working on an outcome. Mike said most drives have no problem and that kiters are polite and have even waited for the next trolley when one is full or partial full. He said the only thing that may be a problem is the surfboard, like my NSP, which is 6ft. the twin tips do not seem to pose a problem. He did say some drivers my be sticklers and that is why they are trying to come up with a solid answer. He did ask that we not give them a hard time if one drive says no and one says yes, they will have an answer soon. He may take us up on bringing some gear to show what we carry on the trolley. I gave him the measurements of one of my twin tips and he said that would not be a problem. I get the felling they will say yes, but will be a size limit, but twin tips and smaller directionals I think will be a go, JMO.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I just talked with the Safety director and they are still working on an outcome. Mike said most drives have no problem and that kiters are polite and have even waited for the next trolley when one is full or partial full. He said the only thing that may be a problem is the surfboard, like my NSP, which is 6ft. the twin tips do not seem to pose a problem. He did say some drivers my be sticklers and that is why they are trying to come up with a solid answer. He did ask that we not give them a hard time if one drive says no and one says yes, they will have an answer soon. He may take us up on bringing some gear to show what we carry on the trolley. I get the felling they will say yes, but will be a size limit, but twin tips and smaller directionals I think will be a go, JMO.
This is good to do some "discovery" on their concerns so that we have valid responses.

I think we really need to make a case for surfboards allowed - since IMO they are as safe (or more safe) than a twin-tip. Twin tips usually have harder edges, surfboards are lighter and have rounded edges. Personally I would MUCH rather be bashed by my surfboard than a twin tip. Aside from that, I wuold say many down-wind riders are now directional board riders. I forgot how to ride a twin-tip
rvillate@msn.com
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
stpetesal

I think the size will be the issue, not the material, but a very good point. I need to ride my directional more so I can do DW's with it, they are a very nice ride for sure. Either way I would want an answer so you don’t get left 12 or more miles from your vehicle when I could have made other arrangements as Scott F stated.

Last edited by stpetesal; 02-09-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the time and effort, Scott. I know you mean well.
I don't know what will happen though.
As is right now, some people get rejected on occasion. Would hate to see all kiters always get rejected. But maybe all kiters will always be accepted.

Anyway, I think one of you nailed it. I rode the trolley probably 50 times (maybe 75) without incident (with TT board) over an 8 year period.
Then I started using surfboards for DWs about 2/3 years ago. That's when I started having a 25% rejection rate (3 of 12).
That was never verbalized as a reason for leaving me hangin', but it probably is what is going through the driver's mind.

My primary goal with "bitching" was to alert people to have a good backup plan if your primary plan was the trolley. 15 bucks and a thumb is what I found works well. If we get guaranteed rides, always, that'd be sweet. :mrgreen:
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
stpetesal

Believe me, this is one of the least important things in my life, just wanted to do some DD for myself, being that I am not able to kite now. I know most of us plan ahead and if things do not work out, it is not the end of the world.

Last edited by stpetesal; 02-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I think the size will be the issue, not the material, but a very good point. I need to ride my directional more so I can do DW's with it, they are a very nice ride for sure. Either way I would want an answer so you don’t get left 12 or more miles from your vehicle when I could have made other arrangements as Scott F stated.
My biggest surf directional is 5'-8" (172cm)...so please make sure I fall under the limits ...or should we pull out an old Litewave 179 TT?? ahhrghh
rvillate@msn.com
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
stpetesal

If anyone would like to take the time out to do more research then please do so, I have never been rejected but, always can get a ride

Last edited by stpetesal; 02-10-2010 at 12:43 AM.