FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Default ?

Well hey nobody died and everyone had a good time. I dont expect anyone to help me. If someone does, great if not then something bad happens then it's totatly my fault and I will never blame anyone for not helping me. On the flip side if I see anyone in trouble I will be there in a heartbeat for you. Especially my bros like Toby, Alex, Adam, Paul, Rusky, E-bone, Jeff, Crazy Jay, John, and I pretty sure missed someone...... Even though they are all wayyyyy better than me, but I always got your back! I would like to thank all of you because you guys have helped my learning curve, and made me a better kitter! Heck I was landing my first big jumps this weekend!!!!!

On a more positive note, I bought a really fancy Digital SLR camera that I have taken some really great shots with. If you guys would like some pics just let me know. I am at SW and EB riding all the time. All it cost you is a blank CD, or if you have access to the internet I can upload them to my website for you so you can download them then its FREE....... Well maybe if you brought a cooler you can give me a beer from it. LOL

Alright peace and be safe out there!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 PM

I'll go after anything on foot... but if my kites up, I'll maybe retrieve your board.

I'm not getting myself messed up for some gear that can be replaced.

I still don't ride at the skyway but that's because I prefer East Beach. It's easier for me to get to and there's no dollar toll.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 AM

i 'member 1 time way back when i saw dude lookin' like he needed help so i go down wind 2 see what i could do...

i'm real close to him tryin2c what's up when my dumb ass flew my kite right into his lines and tangled 'em all2 hell...had2 throw our bars...a real cluster fork!

4 sure i hurt more than helped that time.

but still...i'd do it again (try2help) in a heartbeat, only now a days i'd prolly look less stupid.

:roll:
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM

I remember what drew me to this sport and this group of people... how much everyone was willing to help each other out. Right now, I would NEVER go out without my instructor, (or friend/boyfriend,etc) who is consciously looking after me. That is just me and my comfort zone right now. I know my limits and will make sure that if I'm working on something I'm not very familiar with, I have someone there to keep an eye on me. I have seen some of you guys racing down the beach at the first sign of trouble. It is a very cool thing to watch. Not cool that someone's in trouble of course, but the way you guys have looked after each other.

The Camaraderie of this sport is unique in its tight nit community, which drew so many of us to want to be a part of the kiting addiction. I was skeptical at first because I sat on the beach for a long time before I decided that this sport ws for me. I have seen people get hurt and have helped rescue people's kites out of trees. I decided to take lessons from certified instructors (not just my buddy or boyfriend) and learn the right way, with safety skills taught first.

Just remember that everyone was once a newbie and and its easy to forget that time when some guy was riding by and throwing out some helpful instructions for you. It really comes down to the whole Karma thing for me. If I continue to recognize signs of trouble, and can help out without putting myself in more danger, I'm on it. What comes around goes around. I know that when that person sees me out there struggling that they might remember the time I helped them climb a tree to get their kite out and will be willing to exchange the favor.

Yes, the skyway is scary. I will not ride on the backside. However, after taking a hike to the sandbar at the front side and having an instructor with me, I see no reason why me, as a newbie shouldn't be allowed to ride there. As soon as I started to find myself downwind, I'd turn around and hike back to the sandbar to start again.

Everyone right now seems quite bitter because there are so many new people and the launches are crowded,etc. What we have to remember is that this sport is growing exponentially and we are all a part of that. There are annoying things like crowded launches and people who haven't taken a lesson go out and put the rest of us in danger. The more of us there are, the cheaper the gear becomes, the better the safety systems are made and the more opportunity we have to bring exposure and to be a part of the grassroots community of this awesome sport.

The fact that we have 82 people registered for OUR race is amazing. Now listen up... when I bring tv stations and newspaper reporters and photographers to cover the race... I expect everyone to look out for themselves and be safe. The last thing this sport needs is an accident in front of all the newspapers and TV reporters. Look out for each other and only ride as far as you'd be able to self-rescue your way back to the beach.

Have fun, don't hate and remember what goes around comes around...
:wink:
Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Skyway Scott

Sweet post, Amber.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 PM

My thought here
http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2818
Old 10-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Good post, but there is NO substitution for proper instruction man. Had you worked on your body dragging upwind, board dragging, self launch and land and self rescue before you tried to ride the board? I highly doubt you did all of these and these are just a few of the most important things you need to know before you hit the water to ride. Even if you are riding now, get some professional certified instruction man.

If you want to get to the next level and gain respect of your peers, show us you mean business and INVEST in the sport by paying to take some lessons. You obviously have the money/means to do so as you must have gear to be riding. Lessons should come first, gear second. But I will always support our newer riders as long as they follow the proper channels and learn to ride safely so my life and my friends life as well as our great local launches are not put in danger...

Hope to ride with you out there soon!

Toby
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 PM

I have spent more time boddy dragging and kite flying then I have on the board, I self launch and land 75% of the time. So, I have put in my time there, I am hopping to hit desoto one weekend when the winds are favorable. I will agree that lesson are the best way and are the only way for some people, I also realize that I would have progressed faster with lessons, however that is not the path I took, I was just saying that all noobs are not bad and I have seen many who have had lessons mess up on the concepts I discussed in my post, I just hope noobs with or without lessons will read that post and think twice about being an idiot.

Just a note - I support the taking of lessons, it is by far the best way and I would not recommend taking my path unless you have a close friend who is willing to sacrifice ride time to spend ample time showing you the ropes and getting you started. Also only if they are a truly experienced kiter or instructer. Not a 1 hour lecture giving you a kite.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Go ahead then, be stubborn like that and don't consult an instructor. But also don't be surprised when you aren't given the 'respect' that you think you deserve from the rest of the community. There is NO excuse for not taking at least one lesson from an instructor, cowboy!!!

(I personally spent about $600 on lessons, you can afford one)
Old 10-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson
Go ahead then, be stubborn like that and don't consult an instructor. But also don't be surprised when you aren't given the 'respect' that you think you deserve from the rest of the community. There is NO excuse for not taking at least one lesson from an instructor, cowboy!!!

(I personally spent about $600 on lessons, you can afford one)
Don't hold back Toby, tell us how you really feel.

I'll go against the grain here. While I definitely recommend instruction to all beginners, I would say if you're riding already and doing fine, then you probably don't need an instructor at this point. Just continue to be responsible and respectful. Also don't be afraid to ask the more experienced guys questions about technique, ediquette and safety, as long as you're not pestering them.

No offense to the "certified" instructors out there, but there are plenty of more than capable instructors and friends who teach friends. You shouldn't dismiss them because they don't have an acronym on their card, some of them have been kiting longer than the certifying organizations have existed. Respect is earned on and around the water. It doesn't come from a certificate.