FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Rider Resources
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Hey Rick,

Sorry Im posting so much lately. Season is getting close and Im trying to expand my kite spots. I've only ridden at Crandon, Matheson, Keys, and Hatteras. I would like to expand my options and stay out of "trouble" as well.

I google mapped this beach. Are you saying anything north of Linton up to the line on your first map is fair game? Meaning you can come into shore with kite in air or setup anywhere along that stretch?

Also can you x marks the spot for public parking or beach access to setup. I dont know the area.

\Thanks

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...38452&t=h&z=15
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There is a single lifeguard stand and sign on the beach to the north of Linton and Atlantic Dune Park. As long as you are north of that sign and not causing complaints with residents along that stretch you should be good to go.

Be careful about staying out of the dunes. One of these residents closer to the north end and kitebeach, came very close to banning kiting through complaining to the mayor years back. If you are walking back and bystanders are about to pass as a courtesy it is good to walk on the downwind side of them keeping them upwind of your lines. Not everyone does this simple thing which could pay off big someday.

There are other large areas of private beach south of here. There are also areas of exposed rock on the bottom particularly in Highland Beach and parts of Boca Raton. Also, the width of the beach is pretty small in some of these areas. So, have a care down that way.

Thanks for your concern, we would have a lot fewer issues and be able to focus more on riding if more had your outlook.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Nice. Im not used to that long of a section of kitable beach. Thats sweet.

It looks like, at least for that area, the rule of thumb is if there are houses behind the beach and no rows of lounge chairs/Cabanas and no lifeguard stations your'e good to go. That will come in handy for some downwinders.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes that sums it up pretty well. Regarding downwinders, I heard about one from a few days ago. It involved some guys coming down the coast into Deerfield. I understand south of the fishing pier they came close, way too close to the beach, well inside 100 yards. We have had problems in Deerfield but as places go they haven't been that severe. If guys run within a 100 yards of shore along guarded beaches, ANYWHERE, we will have problems.

Solution, don't do it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

There are far larger areas of rideable beach with better waves (if you're not used to waves, perhaps too good at times) and per ikitersurf, usually a bit more wind too, off Juno/Jupiter.

Ft. Pierce goes off in N to NE winds south of the inlet with about 15 miles of clear beach maybe more to St. Lucie Inlet. I would swear it is like going to Maui when the wind and waves are on there.

There are LOTS of area of clear rideable coast once you get out of the more heavily populated areas of SE Florida.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi