FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Skyway Scott

Time to visit Codder.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 AM
E-Bone

What I really about EK is that Daryl has sure hired some sexy guys to work in that shop. It should be called Extreme Beefcake.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks Bone.. you're not so bad yourself
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Skyway Scott

In case it's even remotely in question .... I am a hetero.
I don't need some dude jumping me at the SW on a dawn patrol. lmao
Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Leave it E Bone to totally knock the train off the track.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 AM

Default kite valve problems

hey all

i have been helping many of my bros replace their valves on many different kites (different manufacturers too) - i have seen more bad valves on new kites recently than older kites - and i have seen multiple failures on the same kite

it appears to me that they (bladder manufacturers) have made a significant change in the way they are attached - used to be just glue now it looks like they are pressed with heat or something and also glued (which IMO is not as good as the old way ESPECIALLY when it comes to replacing the valve with a new stick-on)

just my opinion based on what i have seen - 1st hand so to speak

os/srq
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Skyway Scott

I have never seen a Flexifoil bladder go bad.... ever.

Some kite companies did seem to make a really bad move in 2004 with a different approach to bladder/valve attachment.
We had a lot of frustrated locals for a couple seasons, especially if it got hot.

Are you seeing a particular brand go bad? or just kites in general?
Brand new kites, or a couple years old?
I haven't had a problem in a couple years, since I switched away from the electrostatic or whatever method of the valve attachment.

I know Toby probably had it worse than any of us with his kites there for awhile.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:03 AM

I've spent the past two months resealing and testing all bladder and strut valves on 04-06 slingshot fuels, diesels, octanes, and machines. I have also helped out with the same malfunction on some 06-07 flexi's. (two of the most quality companies in the biz in my opinions) the best solutions thus far to valve re-application has been krazy glue or an airtime replacement valve/bladder.

Krazy glue wont corrode the bladder materials and provided you do not leave cracks, folds, or creases in the bladder when applied, it should hold untill the kite see's its doomsday. Airtime has a new east coast warehouse/shop located in ft. lauderdale and specializes in the similar fixtures. Alex and Josh there are extremely talented and will fix any sort of kite to the point that it looks factory born. If your too lazy to do it your self check them out at http://www.airtimekite.com/, or just go to the hardware store get the krazy stuff and be prepared to pull your hair out, its a standard side effect to hours of bladder work.

Not trying to pimp anything here just stating facts, marine grady epoxy's/ glues either don't stick adequately or corrode thin bladders.

(make sure to lightly sand area as well as wash with alcohol/water prior to application to ensure solid fixtures.)
Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Alot of nipples can be removed by simply soaking them in hot water. They literally peel right off. Not all, but alot of them. Anyway, with moisture and heat, it can take its toll on the glue they use. I spoke to some shops in Texas, similar climate, and they experience the same problems with bladders. Best advice, don't pack up your wet kite and leave it in your hot car.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:31 PM

I would encourage anyone in need of any type of repairs to use my link at Airtime Kite Repair which is http://www.airtimekite.com/map_tw.html . Yes, I had some VERY bad luck during the last couple of years but since I have moved to Eclipse have had very minimal issues. Thing is, I NEVER leave my kites in a hot car and would say that I take pretty good care of my kites and always have... If anyone ever needs help replacing any Airtime product, I would be more than happy to assist as I have been given step-by-step instruction by my contact at Airtime (plus, I have MORE than enough personal experience replacing bladders of my own!!!).