FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Default Kiting Davis Island?

I heard there was restrictions on kiting around Peter O-knight Airport. I know that area of the bay well and it is nice and shallow on the south side of Davis Island Yacht Club. It seems like a good place to go. Is there any other reason no one kites there? I called the aviation authority and they said you had to be 500 yards from the runway. Actually they were a little unsure of any restrictions. I looked at the satellite view and measured the distance and it is at least 2000 feet from the airport to the south end of the island. I know Lassing Park in St. Pete is awfully close to Albert Whitted Airport and they don't run you off there. Has anyone ever tried to kite at the end of Davis Island? Anyone ever check into it?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM

Ken,
looked into that when I was flying out of there and found it to be a taboo subject. There was an incident last year of a plane clipping a sail boat on final last year and crashing. I think if you get well clear of the approaches to the Runways it would be no issues but launching would create one. There is always Beer Can Island if you dare
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM

I live on Davis Island and windsurfed out off the Yacht club for several years. There are a oyster beds just off shore and no really good beach to launch from. I did see one person with a kite out there one day but he did not have enough wind-not sure where he started from or ended up at. I think there are some signs off the point that say something about no kite flying. If you figure out a way to ride out there let me know it would be really convenient
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 AM

FAA regulations for kites in general are 1. kites are prohibited from being flown within 2 miles of an airport if they weigh more than 5 lbs. 2. If they are less than 5 lbs. then they cannot be flown with more than 500 ft of line. I could find nothing specific for our type of kites. If anyone knows of any different regulations for traction kites, speak up. Sometimes the airport authority and the FAA will make specific recommendations for specific airports and often there are instrument approach corridors which may have their own exclusions even tho they may be outside the general published limits.

Not only is there Peter O, off Davis Island, but there is MacDill AFB which has it's own 2 mile limit. Technically this definition for "kite" flying would also affect TIA and Cypress, and MacDill and Picnic Island.

I'm going to contact the FAA and see if I can get a specific ruling for the airports in the area.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 AM

If rule 1 applies, I think our kites weigh more than 5 pounds.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Don't people kite all the time at Picnic and Cypress? IF they haven't been bothered by the FAA, why even ask? I would just assume keep doing what we're doing, better to ask for forgiveness than permission they say.

BTW, I don't kite at either location...
Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Maybe you're right, don't ask permission until someone says you can't do it, then play dumb.

I always wanted to ride in the waters off the Bayshore in Tampa, but was worried about the proximity to the airspace around Peter O and MacDill. Would just have to be done with a boat launch.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM

+1 in the boat launch.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 AM

I guess that settles it. Nobody has been specifically told not to kite there. Peter O-Knight said to be 500 yards away. I am going to test the waters and see what happens. I will not be in the vacinity of the approach and if a plane was coming in that low in that area, you have just as much of a chance being hit if you are fishing in a boat or swimming. Next time the wind conditions are right I'm a'goin. PM me if anyone wants to join.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM

I work over there at the yacht club coaching the youth team. If it's blowing on a saturday or sunday evening especially, I'm down to give it a go. Where would you launch from?

Chris