FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Skyway Scott

Where is a good place to get the FS kites cheap?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM

I've been researching the Flysurfer Speed 2 19 meter and it sounds like an awesome low end kite. Just cant swallow the $2500 price tag.
If anyone (Gary) gets one I'd love to demo it.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Now that I have more information, I just need some clarification on something....

When we talk about a low end kite are we saying that the kite, of its size flies with less wind than one of the same size or are we saying that it also has more power than even larger kite?..It may be easier if I give this example.

Earlier it was said that the Royal Era 14m would out perform a ION 15m as a low wind kite, the size of both of these kites are close to the same. Now, do you have the same low end pulling power if you compare the same Era 14m with say a 16m Waroo or even a 17m Contra in the same light wind?

It just seems like it makes more sense to ride a larger kite in low winds than a smaller kite. Help me understand...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM

I know that I used to have a Fuel 19 meter and that thng pulled like a truck. Unfortunately it pulled DOWNWIND only. I wouldn't put to much stock on kite "sizes" when it comes to inflatables. I'm sure the Royal 14 will blow away the waroo 16.
I think that foils may be getting good enough to start taking over the light wind realm again.
I wish we could demo a 19 FS Speed 2
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Skyway Scott

Jay pretty much nailed it.
Size (if not an efficient cut) is just drag.
Today's kites have a much better design than even just 2 years ago, let alone 5 years ago. I wouldn't ever think of getting anything bigger than a 16, Gary, even at your size (comparing you to me) At my size, a 14m kite in 13 knots is pretty powered up... I know it sounds funny (even to me) but that's the truth.

Jay, I remember that old 19m Sligshot Fuel (2003, I think?)
Man, 20 minutes on that in 12 knots and my legs were killing me. (LOL).
Pure drag, no upwind efficiency. You were basically fighting the kite to force it upwind.

So Gary, yes, you have the same "power" and low end with today's 14s that you use to have with 18m kites of just 2/3 years ago.
The big difference is that they feel much different. There is less drag, so some people actually misinterpret that as less power.
Most of today's "pull" is perpendicular to the wind or upwind, so your legs don't have to fight the kite wanting to pull you downwind.
Instead, that power is more efficient, and the kite pulls you upwind with relative ease.

The biggest mistake you can make with a light wind kite (imo) is thinking that the feeling of being pulled like a truck is good.
That's a bad sign, imo. It's just drag. Hope that makes sense.

I am sure you will get to demo that Speed 2 19 this year. We have 2 in the area (at least) now.
I demoed one out at EB last season in about 13/14 knots. I unhooked and was yanked off the water on a railey. It took me by surprise.
It turned pretty slow compared to the Era or Eclipse, though.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

I flew a 14 contra a bit last year. Dont think you gain any more low end with a 17 because 14s are faster and can generate just as much apparent wind. Theres really no need to go bigger than a 14 with the new kites and technology.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM

As far as "not going with anything bigger than 14" I feel it applies to smaller guys. If you are larger you will notice the advantage of that extra 3m. Also new kite techonoloy helps a lot, the 14 meter contra 3 pulls more than the 16m switchblade 1 I had. However the 17m blow both out the water. I have been out when I could not on a 14m and when I can be on a 14m I and having a blast on my 17m. The power pulling smaller guys downwind bigger guys can convert into upwind.

As far as FS I have looked into them but I have a few questions 1 why are they so expensive, I think if there price was petter they would have a much better shot at stealing some market share. Also how is the depower, One thing I like about some of the new kites is they fly just as well fully powered and fully depowered. How is the range on the FS speed 2?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM

O.K., it makes more sense now. I'm really expecting to hit it hard this up comming season like I did the first year I started riding. I got skunked at least 10-15 times that first year and only 1-2 times this past season.

I'm hoping with the correct kite and board this season a going as many times as I did the first year, I'll ride more and sit on the beach less.

Thank you for all of your help...
Big G
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Yeah thats true but I weigh 180 to 185 and have never missed a session with my 14. just my opinion.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Skyway Scott

I am not sure how more power from a big kite would "pull me downwind", but not pull a bigger guy downwind. Doesn't seem logical. True power should not pull anyone downwind. It's not like my legs aren't as strong or stronger than just about anyone's out there.
In terms of size/weight, leg strength determines how much kite you can hold down, not how much you weigh. So, no kite is going to pull me downwind (not in sub 15), unless it just sucks.
Also, a larger board should "make you weigh less" by displacement. So, a big guy on a bigger board should theoretically "weigh" the same as me on a smaller one. I use a 130 by 40 once it hits 11/12 knots.

Anyway, my take is still that big kites "feel powerful", but much of that feel is just the feel of drag.

I have been talking about wearing a 50 pound weight belt and riding for years now just out of curiosity. I am gonna give it shot this year.
Maybe those big a.ss kites are useful for big guys and I am just clueless. Still seems like a larger board would negate the need for a monster kite though.

I mean, I can ride a 9m in 9 knots (upwind with eyes closed) on a Glide. So why can't a guy bigger than me apply the same principle?
My reasoning makes sense to me, but I am gonna wear the weight belt out next time to test the theory (nothing better to do in ten knots).
Sometimes reality defies logic. Anyway, just throwing theory/opinion around..... waiting on wind.