FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Default self rescue

Could people please share their self rescue techniques? I did not receive this training with my lessons, and have watched how it is done on zero to hero(Real Kiteboardingvideo). Basically safety is popped, you go hand over hand till you get to your bar , then wrap this one line around your bar, then wrap remaining lines around bar until you get to your kite, then tie lines around bar end then sail kite in.

This does not address what to do with your board. i have been told a different way...

safety is popped, you take your leash off, pass it through board handle or footstrap so board and bar are connected, do not wrap lines around bar, swim up lines to kite and sail kite in.
Concern is all that line dragging behind you-it could very easily tangle on a crab trap float, etc. I tried this technique and got myself all tangled up in kite lines and this could have become very dangerous(I was in shallow water and practicing self rescue)
I'm concerned that if I really had to do it I don't have a good predictable method. please share your technique in as much detail as possible. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:03 PM

That's the right idea for securing your board. Just be aware that you wont be hooked in any longer and if you let go of the bar your kite will sale away from you.The idea is that you wrap one of your outside lines around the bar a couple times, then start wrapping the rest of the lines along with the one outside lines. It makes it such that one line is much shorter than the other three, rendering the kite useless for flight. Until you have that done I wouldn't consider unattaching your leash from the bar. I'd rather spend 500 on a new board than 1300 on a new kite/bar. So just continue wrapping your lines around the bar until your reach the kite. Find some way to secure the lines on the bar so it doesn't unwrap as you play with the kite....it doesn't have to be fancy. Then slide down the leading edge to the grab handle, on the wingtips, then slide the oppposite way down the leading edge to the other grab handle. You'll now be holding onto both grab handles and the kite will be sailing you in...wherever "in" is.

It might not be a bad idea to quickly detach your kite leash from the CL, pass it through your board handle, and reattach it to the CL. At least you wouldn't lose your board that way? Maybe something to consider. The way you have been told is horrible. I wouldn't dare sail a kite back to shore with the lines stretched out all over the place. It wouldn't take much for that kite to power up again with your fingers in the grab handles.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
popeye

Sometimes I'll actually wrap my lines around my board instead of the bar if I am in a bind (like quickly getting blown side shore down the beach). I can wrap them up quicker this way (2 feet per wrap), and seperate myself from the whole mess. Then I throw it in the kite, and ride the kite to shore using it like a sail.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:01 PM

I was out in a channel when the wind died and was in a strong side shore current. I also used my board to reel my lines in and then put my board fin side up on the canopy of my kite. I then grabbed the underside of my leading edge and swam my kite/gear/self back to shore.

This was one instance where I wish i had a life vest or impact vest to provide some floatation. I had to wait till i passed all the channel markers to make sure i didn't get tangled up.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Would it be accurate to say that there is no one perfect way to do this and different situations dictate a different approach? It seems like its a difficult and ackward thing to do in the best of circumstances.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Skyway Scott

Imo, yes. Each time is different and may require a different approach.
I got creamed in some pretty big waves (10 to 13 feet) once in St. Augustine in 30 to 35 knots of side-onshore winds.
It didn't take me but 3 seconds to release the whole sha-bang and say "screw it". I didn't want to risk lines getting tangled or the kite lighting up on me and dragging me under in those conditions.
My kite couldn't make it to a road, only to beach houses, so it was an easy decision.

Most of the time around here, people don't go too far from shore, waves aren't so intense, etc.,. Lots of riders ride shallow water and don't go more than 300 yards out, so I would recommend just chillin' and drifting in in most cases.
I don't even know if the term rescue is necessarily applicable for us most of the time, since we will eventually safely drift to shore (in most scenarios).

I am sure there are different takes on this. But, if not in a life threatening situation and you are drifting to shore anyways, my attitude has always been relax and enjoy the drift.

Once it took 40 minutes just to drift in from about a mile out at P.A.G., but I drifted in
I guess I could have "gotten fancy". But why?

I think the kite lines tangling around you is our biggest concern during a chill/drift.
I wonder how many of us have knifes to cut lines if necessary?
I have had lines tangle around while in "chill/drift" mode. This pretty quickly changes the feeling of chilling to worrying about drowning .

Anyway, I am sure others have other views, but if my lines are tight (maybe one or two are snapped) and I am drifting to land, I never screw with it. I just drift in. I usually cut the snapped lines and suffer a tad of guilt over the turtles that might get stuck in them.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:17 PM

yeah getting tangled in the lines is a scary experience-and its like if you struggle they just tighten like a constrictor.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM
popeye

imo the worst possible scenario is drifting in, having the lines get wrapped tightly around your ankles (from kicking your legs). Then, having those lines entangle on a crap trap buoy right in the break. As the waves pull you in, it pulls the float (and you) underwater.

If you get tangled in a crap trap float, make sure you are clear of all lines (and unhooked) or make sure you don't let go of the kite while you are cutting yourself free....
Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Skyway Scott

I am sure everyone does it different.
I think you misinterpreted my meaning of drift.
When I say drift, I mean get pulled in by the wind's tension on the kite, which is LE down, not the current. The (onshore) wind keeps the lines tight and the kite 75 feet away. This has happened to me at least ten times, usually after a line break. In my example, the kite still keeps it's shape LE down, but you can't steer it anymore or fly it. It is "behaving" and not going apeshit.

I don't think you could drift in with slack lines or little wind. You would just sit there. You would have to swim. I definitely would never swim toward a kite without first wrapping up the lines.

I am sure everyone does it their own way. Raul did an awesome self rescue 2 or 3 seasons ago from way out in the SW channel to get himself back. He came right back to the launch area. It was very impressive.

I actually do have a technique I use when the kite is not just dragging me in or if it gets caught up on something. I have only had to use it 3 times.
It's similar to the one this guy is showing on land (he saved himself from drowning in the beach sand quite well).

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but it's basically what I do if the kite won't just pull me in.

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboa...the-water.aspx
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I am sure everyone does it their own way. Raul did an awesome self rescue 2 or 3 seasons ago from way out in the SW channel to get himself back. He came right back to the launch area. It was very impressive.
That time I was only a mile or so out, Done way longer rescues in Biscayne bay and crandon.

just a matter of time on the water and you eventually log tons of self rescues.

Heck , once I even rescued a person on a windsurfer that had broken down from way over a mile out on my foil kite in really rough conditions, ( I think she still owes me a backrub )

Anyways, those kites were much easier to rescue on, LE bridles are tricky

Yech, some of my worst self rescue memories are from the Gorge cause your kite goes down and you are outta time
because the big 'ole smiley face on 'da river barge is lookin' down at ya' and he don't stop!