FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: We need a sign, so inferno made one. Ok or not?
Yeah, it's fine. 17 85.00%
No, no good. 3 15.00%
Everything sucks and I hate signs. (this response will be ignored) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 PM
popeye

Default Bleighty's sign, everyone ok with it?

Bryan came up with the sign, not inferno... sorry I can't edit the subject or delete the thread. Duh.

Anyway, if he makes it wider, it won't be so long.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by popeye; 08-28-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Skyway Scott

Unfortunately we live in lawyer land.....

I would axe the first line under the red area -
Due to the hazardous nature of this launch site.

If a FHP officer reads that and asks "what is hazardous?" it leads to the wrong discussion about kites in the road, etc., imo.

Also, the "what to do when a kiter is in trouble" section is fairly vague.
I am not sure if it sure be there for similar reasons. Anyone with the skill to help probably already knows how to do it.

Under ON the beach, number 4. Does the rider ready to launch have to wait for the incoming rider? I think it says the opposite under ON the water, number 2, unless I misread it somehow.

Otherwise I like it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

looks good. i think that it still should be mentioned to discuss potential hazards with someone with an orange band before riding if unfamiliar with this launch area.

We can put whoever's website on there however i think that all local websites (triton, epic, kitesurfingpics.com, KiteSurFlorida.com, etc) that way we have a better chance of reaching more riders and appear to all be on the same page. we could even refer them to fksa.org on the signs and place a sticky at the top of the fksa site? That way it won't be someone's business/personal site so no assumption is made as to who is "in charge" or whatever.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
<jason

Thumbs up

Although one of u might be a lawyer or have a personal friend that is. But if not i am in and out of law offices all day in the tampa/st pete area...ie Lau Lane/William Schiffino/Buttler Pappas/Cullpeper Kirland to name a few.I could make sure no person/organization or affilate of this sign could be held liable in the event of an incident. Just tring to help, let me know.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up Congrats

Hi guys
It's great to see how things are turning out
This will be really positive for our sport in the area.
Well done
Old 08-28-2007, 05:46 PM

scott.. check my post where i first put the sign.. i explain a couple questions you have.

steve.. when i mentioned a website or a name i was thinking only that maybe we could put up a simple info website that was not affiliated with any shop or instructors .. simply a site that had the exact same info as the sign with more detail descriptions of local launches or something like that. maybe this is completely unnecessary..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM
popeye

Even with plastic edging a metal sign on a 4x4 is going to tear you up. But so are the other signs, trees, poles, cars, and whatever else out there.

I say mount the sign to a palm tree with metal oir plastic bands thus add one less obstacle out there.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Skyway Scott

Bryan,

It looks good for the most part, good job.
I brought up the launching/landing stuff cuz you mentioned so many people mess up. I read your description on the other thread too and am not for certain who has the right of way from your description. It sounds like the first guy in the 200 feet zone has right of way from your description.
The thing is, it takes most riders at least 1 full minute to launch, while it takes a rider about 10 seconds to go from 300 to 200 feet out and keep coming in to land. Theoretically, this could make the guy/gal trying to get in the water after a launch have to wait while one or two come in. (This happens to me all the time, that's why I am belaboring it a little).

It seems like once the kiter launching decides to give it a go, the guys riding shouldn't come in to land (actually it's been tack real close in the past) until the launching kiter is out.
Is that what it says and I am missing it?

Are you assuming that all riders will launch from within the water as opposed to launch from land with the kite facing the water?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM

scott.. i understand what you are saying.. i guess my thoughts were just that if they are on the beach trying about to walk out and there is someone coming in to let them come in to let them land safely.. and .. if the guy on the water sees someone coming out to ride first, they might want to back off.

but if we need to make a single statement on the sign i am 100% for saying "The rider on the beach just launching their kite has RoW" .. but that would mean that if they launch, they need to get going ASAP to allow others to come in.

basically just remove #4 from the On The Beach section..

so ditch the "hazardous" line
remove the "riders in trouble" section
and remove #4 from the On The Beach section..

Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post

Anyway, if he makes it wider, it won't be so long.

never had any complaints so far.