FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Text Messaging Service Windy 414-11

Everyone was pumped up about the text messaging service last year around this time before the wind started blowing and then only a few of us (mostly Scott and Steve-O) actually used it to report on site data during the season. I am going to try to make an effort to post texts to the service more frequently this year. There are a lot of days when it is questionable about where or when to go and this is probably the easiest way to get the info out. I am not a techie so I can not give any advice on how to use the service but it is pretty easy and you can refer to last year's posts. I think a lot of people lost interest and unsubscribed due to the large volume of texts that said how great the service was, or asked about the wind rather than giving on site reports so hopefully this year a network of riders will take the time to text the actual on site info be it good or bad to the service.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm all about it, but it currently is not working.

HELP!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM

I got an email message from that service (TextMark) not too long ago saying it would no longer be free.

I am not as "up" on some technology as many of you, mainly b/c I still lack a smartphone and don't text. But.... I think Danny mentioned just using FB to do this (keep in touch real time using phones). It seems like a reasonable idea to me. Maybe make a FB page called TampaWindSeekers or similar and post to it (?)

Also, maybe Twitter. I don't have a a clue how twitter works, to be honest

Ahh (oops) I just realized not all people have access to smartphone tech while most have access to texting.

I will post on whatever we agree to as well, whatever we decide to use. For me, it will be from a computer though.

Textmark isn't working?? I will look at it right now. Pretty sure I handed that off to Paul, so he has access to the account.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Shoot. I can't test it due to not having texting on my phone.

Can someone text "test" or something to it and we can see if it registers.
I am wondering if since it is no longer free, some change in usage agreement occurred that you have to agree to.

http://lite.textmarks.com/WINDY
Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Text service is working again. Thanks Scott. FYI, I signed in via computer, not to do the test but to see if there were any agreements or costs I had to overcome. The answer is no. Still seems free to me unless I am missing something. They make their $$$ through advertising from each text it appears.

Heading to the keys tonight. Definately WINDY there.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Cool. I can't remember what the email said, I posted it on here somewhere.
Just beware there might be a fee in the future.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Here it is. I didn't even read it past line one.....

Quote:
As you might have seen in the news, starting on October 1st T-Mobile will institute an additional charge for each text message sent by businesses such as TextMarks. We are working with other companies in the text messaging industry to try to convince T-Mobile to revert this charge, but we don't know if we will succeed. This additional fee is greater than the revenues that can be generated by placing ads in the text messages, so, unfortunately, we will be forced to stop delivering free ad-supported messages to T-Mobile subscribers unless this situation is resolved. We will continue to deliver ad-supported text messages to subscribers of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and other wireless carriers.

This will only impact our free, ad-supported accounts. Paid accounts will continue to deliver to T-mobile customers, with no additional charges passed on to our customers.

If you have a free account but would like to continue to deliver messages to your T-Mobile subscribers, you may upgrade to a paid account, available at www.TextMarks.com. In an attempt to make the paid service affordable to everyone we are offering our customers who are affected by this a discount of 50% off our regular prices*. To take advantage of this discount please use the code TRANSITION.

Delivery of free ad-supported text messages to T-Mobile subscribers are scheduled to stop as of October 6th, 2010. We apologize for this situation but it is entirely outside our control. We will keep you posted on any developments or changes.

Regards,
Chris Neumann & the TextMarks Team
tmsupport@textmarks.com
Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks Scott and Steve for looking into it. I received the test message so it seems to be working.
Bruce
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Cool. Now all we need is some wind to text about.
Actually, last Friday was pretty awesome.