FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up 14m Eclipse Thruster

I got my Thruster 14 on Wednesday and couldn't wait to take it for a ride. Unfortunately, I work Monday through Friday so I couldn't take advantage of the winds here Thursday.

So I finally got a chance to go out this afternoon. I got to the Skyway North Launch and it was blowing about 8 knots TOPS. At one point, a fellow kiter put up a wind meter and was registering 5 knots gusting to 8. But overall, it was blowing around 8. I figured that I would try putting up the 14 to see what it could do in light wind anyway. Boy was I surprised! It of course did not pull me on a board being as heavy as I am but I dove it back and forth through the power zone and could feel the power that exists in this kite. One time it even almost pulled me off of my feet! Another few knots and I WOULD HAVE been riding at 265 lbs on a 14 Meter kite!!! 12-14 knots and I would have been having fun!!! I can only imagine what the 16M will be able to do!!!

The kite is very fast and I can't wait to fly it in a little bit higher winds to see what it can do!!!

Something that I CAN comment on is the bar. After messing around on this kite, the bar is my favorite I have ever used hands down! The EZ Lock Clam Cleat system ROCKS!!! As demonstrated in Dimitri's video of the bar, all you have to do is smack the cleat with your hand and it releases. It is a brilliant setup and the safety of this bar far exceeds the "locked in" stopper balls that screw into the chicken loop line or stay in place without being pushed. I will follow up with future reviews once I ride this kite fully powered but give the whole setup an A+ so far...