FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Neil,

I'm sure Jesse knows these guys. What is Liquid's stance on this? I'm surprised to see no responses or involvement from them. As just about the only Naish dealer, I'd guess that these guys may be customers of Liquid. If they are team riders of some sort for Naish, maybe Liquid could put some pressure on their vendor. We need everyone involved in this, especially the dealer in the area as they are pretty influential.

As for the one guy being on a Cabrinha, it's important to note that he is no sponsored in anyway by the brand.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Default No cops

I see some of you wants to get the cops involved. The problem with that is once you get the authorities involved and paper work is generated, it can be used against the sport later. They won't care or even mention that it was another kiter who called the cops or that these 4-5 guys were pissing off all of us.
Just a thought... I hope these guys grow up before the sport is banned from Ft Lauderdale, it will suck if instead of driving 1 mile I end up having to go drive to Dania or Pompano
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Physical action is unacceptable, police may or may not become involved in enforcement, peer pressure is largely what we are left with. Instruct new riders what to do and not do as tactfully and effectively as you can. For experienced guys that are straining access, there has been quite a few over the years too all over, talk with them as effectively as you can. Breaking the rules, riding carelessly, annoying lifeguards and the authorities is bad for those doing it and the sport in general, that is obvious. We just need to work to get everyone on the same page.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrysRio View Post
I see some of you wants to get the cops involved. The problem with that is once you get the authorities involved and paper work is generated, it can be used against the sport later. They won't care or even mention that it was another kiter who called the cops or that these 4-5 guys were pissing off all of us.
Just a thought... I hope these guys grow up before the sport is banned from Ft Lauderdale, it will suck if instead of driving 1 mile I end up having to go drive to Dania or Pompano
I understand your hesitation, and I am one of the last people to want to call the cops and make reports. However, I do not think it will not necessarily add risk to losing the riding spots - to the contrary- ignoring it and not doing anything WILL probably result in losing spots.

Most police are pretty cool about things if approached the right way, unless they are there to investigate something and then are also treated to abuse and disrespect, as seems was the case recently.

I personally believe that if your initial , reasonable, non threatening discussion does not work with one of the A-hole riders out there, by all means call the cops - especially if you think there is a risk to public safety. My guess is that 9 out of 10 times the offender will get the boot. If he wises off...even better, he'll get hauled off for resisting an officer, possibly disturbing the peace, and whatever other charges they can dream up for the guy.

Better yet, if some of these guys have records, outstanding warrants, any other outstanding legal issues, - they're day probably just took a bad turn when the cops show up.

The police are there to protect the public. They will probably look at your efforts as assisting them rather than being a hassle. They probably even enjoy a trip to the beach.

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm sick of these idiots ruining it for everyone else. And sometimes I cannot believe that some of these issues even have to be discussed, or that some people actually try to justify or support the BS that is going down at the beaches all the time.

It's pretty much common sense...or total LACK of it.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Hi guys, you may notice that I deleted the names and photos on this post. This is getting much bigger than I expected. The reason that I put them up here was for the simple reason I can not be on the beach at every location, everytime it is windy to try and stop people from breaking the rules and jepodising our access. I need help from our community.
I in no way shape or form incurage any physical behaviour in dealing with these problems. People can be talked to and kites deflated. If that does not work then unfortunatly it will have to go to the authorities. If it does go that far who knows what might happen, it could even turn against us all as it is so much easier for city officials to ban us rarther than deal with ongoing problems, that they do not have the time for in the first place.
Our beaches will carry on getting busyer as time goes on but we need to set an example to the newcomers and instructors need to teach thier students more than just how to get up on a kite.
I love kiteboarding just as much as anyone, it is my passion, my job and a huge part of my life and it just turns my stomache that it could be gone at my local beach just because a couple of others think it would be easier that way.
Please, respect our rules, our beaches and our community.
Cheers...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM

All this hype because they went inside the bouys.... ha
Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Why not have the guys go sit down with the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Patrol and city police to discuss it and see how trivial the authorities think it was? Might clear things up and could be fun, likely an adrenaline rush too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertow48 View Post
All this hype because they went inside the bouys.... ha

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-26-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Default Enough already!!!

Still waiting for names and photo's of the guys.
Most every body wants to get on with this issue..

Quit deleting names and photo's.
We need to put these guys up online. so they feel the heat - next time they pump up their kite.

Locals step up. Take a page from how the surfers handled issues on their local surf break in CA.
Do not involve police - just get together and handle it.

Cheers
BVI-chris
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Chris, that information was already up for a time. We need to move past that at this point and on to keeping things flying. Lots of ideas in circulation on how to try to do that. Peer pressure has done some amazing things but it comes with numbers. One or two guys with the commitment while the rest blow it off, won't work. We've done that lame approach for years, with poor results. Need to get more folks onboard with this, I think we've made a start.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM

I still don't understand the hesitation to take this up with the authorities.

To give an example - Last year there was a guy who drove his van like a mad man up and down the back alley separating our homes. People were worried about kids and pets being run down by this kook. A few neighbors yelled at him, cussed, and shook their heads in disbelief. If there was a neighborhood forum it would have made front page. Finally I got the license number, phoned police with a description of the car and driver. They obviously got in touch with this guy. I have not seen the guy since. And guess what...the rest of us can still drive our cars thru the alley at reasonable speed.

I really doubt that taking this swim zone issue up with the police will stop "things flying". On the contrary, doing nothing will probably have that undesired effect eventually. The longer you wait the less effective a formal report will be. They were clearly breaking some laws, there are witnesses - we pay taxes for the police to enforce the laws.

It may not be the final solution, but it's a start to some formal documentation. Sometimes peer pressure brings around results, but these guys have an aggenda and they are not likely to see the stupidity of their "kiting for columbine" mentality.

IMO - Just do it (file a report), before it's too late and this is no longer an option. By backing off and laying low you are empowering these nut jobs, and they are probably just having a good chuf about it.

I don't condone it, but if someone thinks "California style" beach control would work, try it at your own risk and be willing to pay the price...but at least it would be doing "something" about it.

Writing about it on the forum is a good way to get the word out, but that in itself will probably not accomplish anything. Nobody on this forum has any authority other than to ban a member from the forum.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas