FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad you are OK and had a nice session Mike. We didn't have any bird activity, bait kicking up the surface or much in the way of jumping, spinning spinners off Delray. If we had I probably would have missed all that great wind and waves. If you have those signs your risk of attack goes way up even if kiting particularly if in poor visibility and/or waves that can mess up shark perception. Confuse things further with charging bait and plunging birds and you get the idea. It is tough but I would try to force myself to sit out such sessions. The odds are during this migration is that there could be a few dozen sharks close by (within a few hundred feet) at any given time. Every time we hit the water, it is likely that there are latent sharks not so far away at all and with easy striking distance. The buggers are FAST.

The problem with shark attacks, the non-fatal variety, is that you don't know what will be bitten or how much? If it is a mouthing of some thick, muscled area it may not be all that bad if things go well in treatment and rehab. What if there are loss appendages, function, nerve damage or worse, severing of a major blood vessel, you could bleed out or suffer some major shock issues. We supposedly aren't menu favorites for many sharks. They taste and spit us out often enough. Still, there is a lot of damage that can happen in one tasting.

Intellectually, sharks are a bit lacking too, what if another or few other sharks note one buggers interest in you? So, one hits you and then another and perhaps another still? This can impede or destroy your ability to get in on your own and others may not be able to react in an acceptable amount of time. That is a lot of rapid damage to sustain.

Sorry for all the doom and gloom, bad stuff doesn't happen all the time. Just often enough to make it worth talking about and thinking over. Enjoy the wind and avoid snacking with sharks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
The buggers are FAST.

You better believe it!

The one that I saw was defiantly curious, I'm sure if it had been more aggressive. I would have never seen it coming till it was too late.

Though my years of surfing here in South FL. I've seen PLENTY of sharks while out in the line-up from my home break @ Lake Worth to Sebastian Inlet.
The most impressive one that I'll never forget.... It was a beautiful beach day, No surf pretty much oil clam sunny mid day. I was up on Lake Worth Pier flipping a live sardine to the snook cruising among the pilings and a large shadow caught my eye in 8-12ft of water about 100ft North of the pier, This was between the two shelters just to the east side of the sandbar. The fish was heading North in no hurry. I had a closer look and MY GAWD I couldn't believe my eyes. It was every bit of a 15' TIGER SHARK in 8-12ft of water cruising just outside the beach bathers by 50-75 yards TOPS. The Lifeguards never even saw this. I could plainly make out the entire fish, Beautiful actually. Dark gray w/darker gray to black "Tiger stripes" w/it mouth agape. You could see the pilot fish swimming around it's mouth. That's when I saw something else, COBIA all underneath this HUGE shark. I flipped my sardine in it's direction and 3 cobia shot out from under the shark and were in HOT pursuit of my bait. I snatched it away from the to smaller ones and picked up the follower that weighed in @ 32lbs. The shark never broke it's stride North bound, slow and steady. There were a few other cobia caught that had also come off that shark. But I was the only one to actually see the shark (so no one believed it was 15' Tiger)

Until the following weekend (one week later) I was out at the end of the Pier fooling around with the cruising snook again, Not much was happening. So I headed into the surf to see what I could do in there. Next thing I know I see a flurry of activity out at the end, rods bent everywhere. Then some of the anglers start dragging more cobia down to the bait house to have there pictures taken and to tell me as they passed that. They too had seen that very same Tiger shark off the end of the Pier cruising south this time and LOADED w/cobia again.

That was the one and only time I've seen a Tiger shark and I'm great-full for this as that fish was defiantly a MAN eater

I have two friends that have been hit over the years. One was @ Jupiter Inlet south side that got it on the hand (not bad a few stitches) the other was up in Vero and took it on the calf (40+ stitches and some muscle damage) Both still surf but are ALOT more cautious during the spring and fall bait runs
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Tigers, interesting stuff. I've seen cobia hang out with large stingrays but didn't know about the shark association. You come from a background of serving platter riding uh surfing. That's different then, your tolerance to the hazard is higher then. Sebastian, aren't there plans to build a shark fast food outlet there, "Surfers To Go" or something? I think they are to specialize in fried "human tenders" with an appetizing selection of shark sauces.

Sorry for the irony but the shark attack experience in this lightly populated area involving a lot of surfers over the years hasn't been too good as shown in:

I will dive with sharks, ideally while not in feeding behaviors but wouldn't choose to surf with them. The whole struggling bait imitation thing that you go through when paddling in puts me off. Sharks can be beautiful UW, particularly when they are cruising in that special disinterested way they have. Here's to interesting time on the water without excessively memorable tiburon encounters!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-22-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Another good afternoon on the water. The wind was a bit lighter than yesterday at times but it was still fun. Initially didn't see any sharks except for one jumping spinner. About an hour before sunset, I passed over about 6 sharks in less than 10 minutes outside the breaker line. Would swear that three were on an interception heading with one running on the surface dorsal out in the classic way, (curious like cats?). So, I chickened out and rode inside the breaker line for the balance of the session. It was near low tide, shallower and I didn't see any sharks in that area. Heard that one sponger got goosed by a shark earlier in the day but he didn't make a permanent impression. Still more wind tomorrow easing in the afternoon. There may be squalls though, so may miss out.

Lots of guys had to have been out today. How was it?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Shark bite caught on tape

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...tape.cnn&wm=10
iko instructor #3301
Naples kite boarding lessons , gear , kite trip , rentals
http://www.naplespaddleboardingrentals.com/
Naples paddleboard rentals-kayak tours -summer camp -meet up -news
http://www.naplespaddleboard.com/

naples,marcos island,bonita beach,san carlo, fort myers
Store 953 3rd ave north naples Florida
239-601-2700
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM

How about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza6d7-8NDc
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It seems that there may be a trend in Youtube to "write your own ending" in some of the video clips. I saw another one yesterday in which a kiter supposedly hit an anchored boat. I didn't go through it frame by frame unlike the one above but at first glimpse I wasn't convinced that the event happened as shown.

Guys be sure to visit our new video section, http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69 it is there for folks to upload links to clips that they like. Both of the above clips are already there. Must be lots more out there worth passing along.

And, one more installment on the ongoing "sharks off Delray" serial. Tonight, I didn't see any sharks for most of the session. Again, just about one hour before sunset, a spinner boosted on about 35 ft. ahead. He continued with dinner and I retired inside the breaker zone, again. Chicken! So, this may be a lull in the migration along this section of coast given the early time. Don't let your guard go down.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
One more installment on the ongoing "sharks off Delray" serial. Tonight, I didn't see any sharks for most of the session. Again, just about one hour before sunset, a spinner boosted on about 35 ft. ahead. He continued with dinner and I retired inside the breaker zone, again. Chicken! So, this may be a lull in the migration along this section of coast given the early time. Don't let your guard go down.
I did'nt see any shark activity either up in Boynton Beach, but that could have been cause I was pre-occupied w/the 4-6+ft chunky nuggets that I was having an ABSOLUTE blast on.
Yesterday afternoon was by far the best powered session with some of the most increditable surf for me so far this year. It was Bombing lastnight!

The spring tides played havoc w/the surf on the sandbar. There were some 6ft walls of water that would just DUMP and explode. I watched several kites get folded in the ZONE. No kites were damaged just ego's

Winds in my area were ENE 20-25kts
Seas 4-6ft + and well formed up for a chop ( Underlying North swell )
Flew my 9m and 127 float

I hope EVERYONE else has been getting there share, while it's here
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds like an epic session Mike! Your waves sound like something out of Tahiti. Could guys paddle into them? Do you have hard bottom out there in places or is it all sand?

When I arrived at Delray there were two guys undergoing instruction. They left after a while. For over two hours I had the entire launch to myself! The only explanation that I can think of is that they have run out of Deep Heat lotion at the drug store for all those sore riders out there. Imagine, blowing off 20 to 25 kt. winds, no squalls, great waves and sunny weather in the afternoon? Amazing.

I am not sure how I did it but I managed to get my kite caught in one of those waves and turned it into a soft pretzel. I couldn't get it sorted out with the wind loading, so deflated the leading edge, did the walk of shame back up the beach and started over.

I imagine your waves are shaped a bit differently around Boynton Inlet and the sand bar there. In Delray approaching low tide there was a fairly calm area out to about 100 yards followed by a zone of breakers about 30 yards wide. It was often calm enough to charge ramping waves at high speed and boost big. Anyway we could schedule a weekend of these conditions a couple of times a month?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-23-2007, 09:21 AM

It was a bit gusty down off 14th street near the Hillsboro inlet yesterday. I was in the water starting and my leg got bumped, hopefully it was just a pompano or something but I was not taking any chances. Murky water, around the inlet, birds on the water, at dusk, during the bait run. I remember the primary conditions in which shark bites occur watching shark week last year and I think I hand most of the yesterday. However Wednesday I got some nice riding in at commercial, not much but this ENE winds really makes you learn to ride upwind. Ride upwind or end up on the beach now that is motivation. I got to try out my GK Sonic 11m and that kite is awesome.

This weekend looks good so far, it will be nice to ride for more than an hour at a time.