FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Jupiter in January?

Hey all, what's up? Ollie from BayAreaKiteboarding here.

Here in the SF Bay, we're dying with relatively little wind and cold weather - not a whole lot of kiting going on, although with a bit more snowfall, snow kiting will become a reality.

I thinking about trying to score a cheap flight to hit the coast of Florida around the end of January, Jupiter looks like a fun and windy spot. I could do Baja, which would be much closer, but this really appeals to me.

Anything suggestions, local info or advice about Jupiter and other local spots would be awesome. I'm hoping to make this trip and look forward to sending it and scoring some epic sessions with all the FLA kiters!

Thanks,
Ollie
www.bayareakiteboarding.com
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Jupiter in January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaKiteboarding
Hey all, what's up? Ollie from BayAreaKiteboarding here.

Here in the SF Bay, we're dying with relatively little wind and cold weather - not a whole lot of kiting going on, although with a bit more snowfall, snow kiting will become a reality.

I thinking about trying to score a cheap flight to hit the coast of Florida around the end of January, Jupiter looks like a fun and windy spot. I could do Baja, which would be much closer, but this really appeals to me.

Anything suggestions, local info or advice about Jupiter and other local spots would be awesome. I'm hoping to make this trip and look forward to sending it and scoring some epic sessions with all the FLA kiters!

Thanks,
Ollie
www.bayareakiteboarding.com
Hello Ollie,

Jupiter is a pretty good wave spot by South Florida standards. Also, it has a bit more wind than points more southerly typically. Our wind this time of year is usually brought by cold fronts. You probably have already checked out archived ikitesurf.com wind records for the area to size up typical winds that come through the area. It may not get as intense as Wadell but it can go off by Florida standards.

A bit further north the south side of Ft. Pierce Inlet can toss out some epic conditions in strong north winds. Fairly calm water on the inside and two wave lines further out. The ground swells there can be outstanding!

If a strong front brings heavy winds out of the west to northwest, head up to Sebastian Inlet to the west launch or do a roadtrip to the west coast, e.g. Tiger Tail at Marco Island.

Jupiter Kiteboarding is a shop right there at Jupiter Inlet and Jeremy and crew should be able to help you out with lots of local info, http://floridakiting.com/

Greg K. of Globerider can help you out in the Ft. Pierce area with info.

Delray is about 45 minutes south and is an active local launch with waves and wind, perhaps not quite as much as in Jupiter in the weaker fronts.

January is high season so it can be hard to find a break on hotel rates. I would do a yahoo.com travel search and see what deals show up in the area.

The layout of the launch shows up in some old event coverage some of which appears at: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1111

Feel free to PM or email me with other questions. Have a great trip!

Rick

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi