FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM
stpetesal

Default Wind

Look at the wind starting the 12th,

http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/sai...ils.asp?fday=6
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Do you guys find wind forecasts six days out all that helpful? You can see fronts about five days out coming on to the continent but you still need a couple more days to see if it will bring much wind to our area. As a rule, I don't start to take wind forecasts all that seriously until about three days out. Even then there can be surprises. There is a good deal of uncertainty with tropical systems as well in the warmer months too. What has your experience been like?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM
stpetesal

No I do not look 6 days out normally, more like 1day or less, not far from the water so no need to look to far ahead, just bored getting ready for work, and I do not go out in 50mph winds what so ever.

Last edited by stpetesal; 12-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

A good reason! If I am feeling desperate I look at the national weather (synoptic) map for what might be coming several days out. It shows what is coming across the USA. What it brings here is up for grabs that far out, still it can help with guessing at the timing. These are in all the state quadrant forums on the site, this one is for the SE: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Rick, do you find that questioning a kiter for dreaming about wind is beneficial? Most kiters do dream of wind.

Scott, if it blows it will be fun as hell. I have a 7m Ozone that can handle 45 knots no prob.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The question was about the accuracy of six day forecasts, not dreaming. How reliable do you find long range wind forecasts to be for the Tampa area?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
stpetesal

Extended forcast is just that and not very reliable, you can hope/schedule a race at 9am and have to move it till 1:30pm the same day, everything is subject to change, Just put something out there to look at, I am in no way a weatherman, if it windy I go if I can as most due.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The race is a good example. Usually the more days a favorable forecast stays in place the more reliable it is. Just because it is more reliable still doesn't mean it will happen that way as you point out. Still, it sure is nice when it does if good winds are predicted.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 AM

I think it's pretty obvious no one thinks forecasts are worth jack squat even 12 hours out, let alone almost a week out. No one needs a lesson or lecture to figure out the obvious. Until the wind arrives dreaming about it is exactly what we all do, because we realize banking on it is foolish, at least in Florida.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Forecasts are worth a great deal, many of us use them all the time. The NWS forecasts are fairly accurate in the SE anyway, far from perfect however. The point is, the further out they are in time, they less reliable they often are.

You have to temper good forecasts with judgement, accuracy varies with location and services, hence my question about experience in your area in the first place. Look at these tabled forecasts that are so popular, ikitesurf, windfinder, etc.. If a meteorologist checks them, often not the case, they can be more accurate. If not, they are often wrong. Yet, people still rely upon them in this later case strangely enough.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi