FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM

glad to see we're all on the same page
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM

I was there last Friday when folks were launching or walking through. Stood there for 15 min surveying the situation. Concluded that the up draft potential to pick you up and land you in the trees or road is way too real.

Pumped up the kite carried my bar, board, and kite unrigged ( upside down) through the opening walked out over a hundred yards to the NNE. Put the kite leading edge down on the dry grass flat with the board on the leading edge and walk the lines out in 2" of water hooked it all up and put the kite into the shallow water let the lines come tight to the SW and water launched. I was never anywhere near the mangroves or another kiter. My riding buddy and I landed each others kite in the same area rolled up the lines and carried the kites back.

The post of the kiter that got hammered and dragged over 600' in Jupiter was the result of a very simular set up. The updraft that lofted him was onshore wind hitting a sand wall caused by beach errosion but the shape of the ridge line is the same be it treeline of mangroves, a building, or a sand dune. Rember the depower on a kite doesn't work effectivly if the wind is hitting it from the underside.

BTW Scott, I hope you don't get to win or loose your bet.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Skyway Scott

I wouldn't bet on something like that, no worries.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. I just know that saying it a particular way fails, so I say it another way.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM

kite free or DIE!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up

I am always a little nervous, I guess... Kitemares are very easy to see unfold from a distance and there's nothing you can do about it. Us seasoned kiters have all seen them, and try to prevent them as much as we can. Scraping your friend up off the ground kinda sucks...
I have seen way too many close calls for comfort, and most of the time its an avoidable mistake. Lack of knowledge should not be one of those, and this is why we preach... We are all bros and want to help the new guys become safe and independent, and we are all smarter because of it. We also happen to have about a dozen local instructors in the area, and probably half of them post on here. Most areas don't have that, so absorb the knowledge, be thankful that we have the beautiful spots to ride, and lets all work hard to protect them. The newer kites aren't any different than the old ones as far as safety goes, I know that my "100% Depower" kite could kill me if I make a mistake. Its in the hands of the operator to have good judgement, and plenty of respect for the kite, mother nature, mishaps,malfunctions, and freak accidents.
bE sAfE hOmEy!.!.!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Tom Stock

Unfortunately with kitemares it takes one to know one.

But we ALL make compromises... launching or catching a kite while flying your own ... rescuing a buddy's lost kite ... trying to carry a friends board back up wind while riding... self launching in hairy spots ... any of these things are playing with fire and we have all have played with fire at some point... who hasn't?

The most important part is to KNOW when you are playing with fire so you can decide whether or not it's a game you want to play.

After that it's game on as long as you are prepared to get burned!

Yeah I'm stating the obvious here but it's 3am and I love metaphors.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Wow Tom, that was a metaphoric montage of epic proportions!
Would you like another glass of wine?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 AM

Was visiting Naples this sunday, went to 7th ave south, wind died and went NE. packed up and went to moms house just south of the Edgewater Hotel. Said what the hell and rigged my 16m on the beach just in case, the breeze filled NW, had two good sessions in the afternoon. Saw some guys doing a downwinder. It was good to finally have kited Naples, nice and warn with sandy beaches. Great day except for Maryland losing to Duke!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbGar View Post
Great day except for Maryland losing to Duke!
In kiteboarding???
Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Talking

Ok my 2 cents and so nobody gets anything confused I have labeled my responses and joking and not joking.

This is the part where I'm not joking:

I launched and walked through the mangroves and had no problem. Not ideal by any means.

Steve Sadler was doing it properly and I wish more people were out there to see him setting a good example.

Also, Scott, I like the pics.

Now the part where I am joking:

Scott, about the pictures, there are three in particular that I noted.

1) a guy riding in what appears to be puddles
2) someone close to the mangroves
3) A picture of Bryan and Toby

With your track record of safety I think that if newbies see those two pictures they will think that its ok to ride in puddles and near trees.

And the picture of Bryan and Toby standing so close to each other might scare off people from our sport. So WAIT, maybe you should leave that one up!