FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Skyway Scott

I agree Danimal.
I am really glad that so many people are involved with wanting to keep things safe. I could tell many were concerned about it at EB yesterday and most riders were being pretty cool. At the same time, I think this is an exceptionally tricky topic (use of forum to call out) and could blow up in our faces or get negative and non-productive pretty quickly if it turns into a finger pointing contest, especially towards newbies. My main concern is that we might make newbies feel like if they screw up even once, our first response will be to grill them on the forum. That makes them less likely to ask for help or maybe try to learn on their own (maybe).
I also have concerns about "who taught you anyways?" and other stuff like that. I think this rider was in the wrong, but it sounds like he could have been talked to (grilled) at the beach. I guess he was, so I am sort of not seeing the point in posting, unless he is a repeat offender and we sort of know it's gonna happen again.

Can I suggest we try to work most stuff out at the launch site, that day? If the rider becomes a "repeat offender" over time, then maybe mentioning it on here is a good idea (I don't know). I am just concerned we might start listing every bad thing we see. One concern over that is the press and anyone else can easily hop on here and throw that stuff right back in our faces, or might get a one-sided view. I know on KF a few people now think all FL riders are wankers. That's not what I think we should do, personally.
I know Jim Wilson (Ft DeSoto) reads this forum, which is in our favor. But, it could turn on us if someone wanted to paint us in the wrong light. We have PMs and phones and stuff (again, just ideas) I have real concerns over internet frenzy as opposed to face to face. There is absolutely no substitute for face to face, imo.

In addition, I still think that it's our veteran riders that will most likely always be the hardest to deal with. I can't help but think a newbie is easier to target, so we do it. I happen to think the beach (especially with downwinders) is our biggest weakness right now, if riders cruise down the beach and repeatedly stay/ get close to shore.
I have and always will think that the beach is the first place that we will lose. This is the type of thing I don't want to be right on, btw.
But it's not hard to screw up and hit a person with your board when riding close on a DW or eventually clothes-line a person walking on the shoreline if you do enough tricks close to shore and dump the kite. It's coming up on March (spring break and seabreezes), and it doesn't take a genius to see how tons of spring breakers and guys showing off right next to them might turn out.

Do we have any agreements whatsoever about staying away from shore? Or our we just blowing it off?

Anyway, glad you guys care. My thoughts are just that, I am not ever going to pretend that I know the answers on how to do this "right". I do know having some guys that are concerned along with 95% of the riders being safe is far better than most areas in the country, so we have a really good start.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I agree Danimal.
I think this rider was in the wrong, but it sounds like he could have been talked to (grilled) at the beach. I guess he was, so I am sort of not seeing the point in posting, unless he is a repeat offender and we sort of know it's gonna happen again.
I should have put down my kite and said more.. but I was pretty pissed and admit that I am not that great at keeping my cool when I see stuff like this.

I like to say that I would be calm and reasonable.. but I know that when I saw it happen my blood began to boil a bit.

Next time I will put down my kite.. see if I can grab some others to help me approach him.. maybe an instructor so that if the questions of lessons come up they can jump in and see what can be worked out.

I know that I've seen stuff like this go down and Ive seen guys on the beach offer immediate help/lessons and work with getting the rider up and going that day ..free of charge.. and everyone walks away feeling better.

if anyone finds out who the guy is, hopefully they can get a hold of them and figure out a way to get the new rider on the water in the safest way possible.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Skyway Scott

Cool Bryan. I am just glad you care. We have a lot of really good people here and this stuff will work out. It's my feeling that it always works better face to face, for so many reasons.
Yikes, been there, done that. Brain fart
Well, Billy lent me his brand new Ion3 to try out. Here I am, feeling unworthy of being on "the" kite, but just don't want to make an ass of myself, ya' know?
Okay, after I have it for all of 30 seconds and still on shore (man it was crowded) I come unhooked, one handed (board in other hand) and basically get semi worked and almost hit a car.
Yep, I sure made "the man's" kite look good.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM

First off, I don't give a crap what any rider ANYWHERE else in the world THINKS of Florida kiters. Florida kiters, especially the ones in this area are the best bunch of people I know of and would want to be associated with, if they are insulting Florida kiters then they are insulting my second 'family' so to speak. So if some idiots think we are wankers they can kiss my white ass because I really don't care about their perception of us. Sounds like the real drama is out there on KF...think about it...who are the real wankers???

That being said, I think that people should be called out in as many ways as possible if they are exhibiting this type of dangerous behavior. I am all for "being cool" and "sharing the stoke" but I think it takes a real wake up call for people that do this kind of stuff to finally realize how stupid they are being. Steve-O obviously knows these people, it sounds like there is a pattern that has developed with these two and newbs or pros it doesn't matter, they are risking injury or death to themselves or others, everyone's beach access, negative press of our sport, etc by doing things like this.

Do I think that every last person should be called out at the beach or on the forum because they had a kitemare or made a mistake? NO. ESPECIALLY the newer riders should be given a LOT of slack and I think that after you have been up and riding proficiently for a year or so we tend to get amnesia about about how hard it was for all of us when we were just learning. And these days it is even harder with all of the crowds. So I DO think that in MOST cases we need to help and offer our support to people learning and learning the RIGHT way, by taking lessons. That is how most of us have done it and the real way to gain the respect of the other kiters is to PUT YOUR TIME IN like all of the rest of us have. But blatant stupidity deserves to be called out in and I am glad that Bryan (and Steve-O) did it.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Skyway Scott

Only a few guys on KF said that. I think it's because it was implied we don't care and not that many were posting. So some people ran with it. That phenomena does matter to me because it illustrates the kind of conclusions that can be reached by some without having all the information, especially if it's hinted that no one cares or we are stupid or whatever.
It matters because if a person with any authority to help or hurt (legally or otherwise) reads it, we look bad and that may affect their decision to work with us. This stuff isn't written in a total vacuum. Just my opinion again.

Ultimately whatever the group consensus, I am mainly hoping it be applied even handedly. If most people think naming names will guarantee I can still ride St. Pete beach next year, I will participate. Thanks for the inputs Toby (can I have my bar before....... lol )
Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 PM

I already took a jigsaw to it Scott.

I don't think name-dropping is cool but letting one know that their actions won't be tolerated by posting 'the two guys on the 11M Waroo'...It gets the point across to them that what they did was dangerous but doesn't point the finger at their NAME on the forum persay. It is a learning process and learning how to kite involves learning when you did something wrong IMO.

On a side note, I DID see that F#%king idiot on the 16M Thruster make a couple of stupid moves again yesterday too...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I DID appear to be a little brown in the trousers that day but Stevil had it comin' to him!!! Catch me if you can...BIATCH!!! VROOM!!! VROOM!!!

Last edited by toby wilson; 02-18-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Tom Stock

Dude where did you get wonder woman's mini bike?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM

I am a new rider who took lessons. I was flying the green North rebel on sunday. I am not 100% sure how kiting etiquette goes so feel free to call me out if you see me doing something stupid. I rather hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about than get hurt or get someone else hurt.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Kiting etiquette rule #1:

Don't walk down the mangrove path at the backside to take a poop, you might regret it.