FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up 14m Eclipse Thruster

I got my Thruster 14 on Wednesday and couldn't wait to take it for a ride. Unfortunately, I work Monday through Friday so I couldn't take advantage of the winds here Thursday.

So I finally got a chance to go out this afternoon. I got to the Skyway North Launch and it was blowing about 8 knots TOPS. At one point, a fellow kiter put up a wind meter and was registering 5 knots gusting to 8. But overall, it was blowing around 8. I figured that I would try putting up the 14 to see what it could do in light wind anyway. Boy was I surprised! It of course did not pull me on a board being as heavy as I am but I dove it back and forth through the power zone and could feel the power that exists in this kite. One time it even almost pulled me off of my feet! Another few knots and I WOULD HAVE been riding at 265 lbs on a 14 Meter kite!!! 12-14 knots and I would have been having fun!!! I can only imagine what the 16M will be able to do!!!

The kite is very fast and I can't wait to fly it in a little bit higher winds to see what it can do!!!

Something that I CAN comment on is the bar. After messing around on this kite, the bar is my favorite I have ever used hands down! The EZ Lock Clam Cleat system ROCKS!!! As demonstrated in Dimitri's video of the bar, all you have to do is smack the cleat with your hand and it releases. It is a brilliant setup and the safety of this bar far exceeds the "locked in" stopper balls that screw into the chicken loop line or stay in place without being pushed. I will follow up with future reviews once I ride this kite fully powered but give the whole setup an A+ so far...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:51 PM
popeye

Thats awesome. Are you going to buy a whole quiver of those kites or are you going to ride the 14 for awhile first? Are they one pump? Do they use pulleys? Bridles? How was the bar pressure (prolly not enough wind to tell)?

So far the best stopper system I've ever seen is on the 2007 best bars... to release it to just simply push the bar away from you and if you let go of the bar, the stopper automatically releases.

Last edited by popeye; 02-03-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Skyway Scott

I have 2 of 'em ('07 waroo bars) myself. They rock!
Old 02-04-2007, 07:20 AM

I dont believe they are one pump.
However...if you ever want to convert any kite to a one pump contact me.
Bryan727-251-7094
Old 02-04-2007, 01:48 PM

so i checked out the Thruster today and I give it thumbs up... its def. a C kite .. flies really well and is very stable.. I still could never convert to something like this as I love the depowerability of my waroo.

I rode it back to back w/ my 16 waroo and def enjoy my waroo more. Might be that I've been flying waroos exclusively for a while now and I'm just used to how they handle.

Jumps on the Thruster were average for me. I was plenty powered up but was not able to really boost with it. I'd have to take another spin w/ a bit more power to really give a final thought on this.

I do like the bar. simple and effective.

the stopper cleat DID NOT release when I smacked it with my hand. Tried this three or more times and it did not release.. to release it it requires a little forward pressure.. not just a smack. a very light brush forward and it releases... really cool release IMO.

I liked the kite.. just not for me.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Talking Great Session on the 14M Thruster today!!!

I rode it powered today and did not need the cleat all that much however when it was engaged, I had no problem slapping it out. You have to hit it the right way. It also has a little loop that you can pull it off with. Try it again Bryan, you will love it...

I am selling all of my old (and newer) C kites and will be buying a full quiver of Thrusters after flying it today. I boosted bigger than ever before and the landing is easy once you get used to how quick the kite is. It is by far the quickest kite that I have ever flown (keep in mind that I am a big guy and don't get to ride 14's all that much but it is definitely faster than a 14M Octane and has almost equal power to a 17.5M Machine). This is the kite that I have been waiting for. Bryan, the Thruster is for me what I think the Waroo is for you. So I have a bunch of kites for sale. Check out the BUY/SELL section if you are interested.

I just can't say enough about this kite. If you see me at the beach, just ask and if you are a competent rider, you are more than welcome to demo it and see for yourself!!! I bet we'll have a bunch of Eclipse riders around here real soon!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:27 PM

check your PM's
Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
airushdave

Default Clamcleat

Next time instead of hitting it just pull the bar towards you it should release
Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM

i had no problem releasing the cleat.. it just takes more than a "slap".. its more of a push or pull depending on the direction its cleated. if cleat it pointed teeth towards you, its very simple to push it and it will undo.. if its pointed back towards you, you have to pop it backwards.. its a cleat.. nothing more.. and its effective in doing what it needs to do. anytime anyone uses a stopper it must be used with caution. Definitely an evolution from old style.

and again with the kite.. its great.. just not my bag, baby.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 AM
popeye

Just a clam cleat right? Simple and effective, but not as elegant and quick to release as newer stopper systems?

The kite looked nice but I only saw it from the road when I was driving by. Maybe a good kite for wake style riders who like strong and steady pull.