FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Safer and Sustainable Kiting > Medical Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Introductions

Thank you for joining the forum. It would be good to share some of your medical and kiteboarding background, interests with the membership. I think it would also be beneficial for some of the medical membership to eventually act as moderators for the Forum. In the interim, I will be pleased to act in that capacity. So, I should introduce myself as well. If you are more comfortable just listing your first name or screen name, that is fine.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

My name is Rick Iossi. I work as an engineer in Florida, USA in environmental and construction related practice. I have no medical background to speak of. There was a B.S. in Biology a long time ago, but I was more interested in coral reef ecology than human physiology in those days. I have been kiteboarding since August 1998 and am still learning how things work (or perhaps should work), in this great sport. My kiteboarding focus these days is on grabbing wind where and when I can and working to improve the sustainability of the sport.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-07-2005, 08:57 AM

hey, I'm jane ( jp )...have 4 years of college, recieved a degree in Respiratory Therapy from S.U.N.Y Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse ,NY...passed National boards to become a Registered Respiratory therapist....been in the medical field for 25+ years...

I prefer working in critical care ICU's,+trauma.... essentially my job is to make sure everyone keeps breathing!

Work 12 hour shifts in a hospital 3x a week, so that gives me lots of fun time to play in the wind!

My fav places are hatteras, da gorge, or where I live in N.J--very close to LAkes bay...

ok time to check my favorite pager---the wind beeper !!

jp
Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 PM

Hello

Bryan Eagle is my name and I have been involved in the Emergency Medical Services since 1993, 11 years as a paramedic, former instructor for AHA ACLS, PALS and the Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support programs.
Prior to the curse of kiteboarding, I worked for the Grady Health System in Atlanta Georgia, a level one trauma center based EMS service.

Trauma and airway interventions are my forte', actually it’s all my forte', with the exception of OB/GYN related cases which I'll do whatever I can to avoid.

Ever since I started getting paid to fly kites and instructing others, it’s been real difficult to get back on a meat wagon for a 24 hour shift.

Big props to Rick for putting this forum together, I am amazed at how he is able to keep up with all of this and still have time for a real job and other life obligations.

Your selflessness and efforts are appreciated!!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Introductions

HI my name is lisa
i am a therpist in the uk and am also finishing a masters at university and my final disseratation project is looking at kite surfing injurys so i am after lots of information from you all.
I will have alot more time to kite surf when i have finished this project, I can't wait. Right now I need to be Rick as he knows so much about kite surfing and related injuries, well done for all your hard work Rick.
I am currently carrying out a Masters dissertation looking at kite surfing injuries that occur this summer between May and August 31st 2005. Please register your details on www.kiteinjury.org and then log any injuries as they occur this summer. Thank you
Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 PM

Hello all. My name is Paul Sabiston. I'm an orthopaedic surgeon working in Vancouver, Canada. My work is mostly knee related, although we have a very busy trauma service. We see lots of skiing/snowboard and mountain bike injuries. Starting my seventh season kiting and am still as excited as the first day.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 PM

New Guy~~~

Thanks for the invite, Rick.

I'm Doug Martin and I've been in EMS since 1989. I'm currently the director of a ED based paramedic service in Rochester, NH. My specialty is knowing when someone is going to puke so my partner gets it.