FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Picnic Island alert!

Was at Picnic around 4:45pm today and just getting ready to launch when some kid(approx 18?) comes running up from the pavillion area wildly waving his hands. I stop what I'm doing and he proceeds to tell me how he was walking with his girlfriend along the road and some guys in a black Honda jumped out and wrestled him to the ground trying to get his wallet. The guy had scratches on his neck and dirt/grass on his clothes. I told him to go over to where there was a big group of people and call the police. The police showed up later but I didn't get the scoop since I was on the water by then.

Kinda scary stuff. Not sure where else to go afterwork since Cypress is shut down. If anybody wants to ride there after work, give me a call.

Rob 813 368-4417
Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Exclamation

Picnic Island has always had safety issues as long as I can remember. I fished there as a kid at the dock and can remember many problems. The neighborhood surounding that park is very low income boardered by a new luxury marina resort.

While I was there today with Rob, some guy approached me as I was walking back up the beach. He had been drinking and had a beer bottle in his hand. As he approach me, he came uncomfortably close as I felt he may have been looking for something to snatch like a chain or watch. I quickly moved back into the water and road away from the shore. After awhile, Will showed up and Rob was still riding. I was unaware at the time this guy approached me that someone had been mugged just an hour earlier.

There are alot of new riders in the area and many may not have heard some of the storys or stolen gear from the beach.

Remember, only bring the things you need to ride down to the beach. An additional board or kite might save you a walk to the car, but these items have been taken in broad daylight while riders are on the water. This warning does not apply only to Picnic Is but also Cypress as I remember Bruce had a board stolen there a few years ago in the middle of the day.

Both of the places mentioned have a history of problems. Try not to ride alone here. I make a habit of waiting for whoever is on the water when I'm ready to leave so that they are not alone.

BE SAFE!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Watch yo back

Picnic def presents a whole other kind of real hazard. The surrounding areas are definitely sketchy. I was there last monday and saw many characters at the park that caused me to constantly be watching my back. Saw a couple of guys smoking that white bitch :evil: When I was leaving I stopped at that circle K (or 7-11?) right on the way out, for gas. I heard some commotion and upon getting out of my truck saw three thugish characters sweatin some guy in the corner of the parking lot. Decided to get back in my truck and go to the next gas station...

If you kite there... make sure you're on guard. Seriously!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Skyway Scott

I agree 100% with you guys. I use to ride out there quite often about 8 years ago with a guy named Johnny. It wasn't too far from my work and convenient for him. I wouldn't go out there unless I was meeting up with Johnny, though. Also, I use to carry a knife on me.
It always seemed to me that place was not much more than a place for drug dealers to deal. I haven't been in there in years now.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Pinic

Thanks R/G.........I will no longer leave anything on the beach at Picnic and will come armed for the location. I rode yesterday for 3 hours and talked to the Police who said they have increased patrols in the area beacuse of the last incident. They had an all day watch on the place yesterday, but this will fade with time. So Shoot first ask questions later......W.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Tom Stock

Two words: Concealed carry.

http://www.floridakiteboarder.com/akbuild/sig5.jpg

Last edited by Tom Stock; 04-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM

Default Got Sig!!!

Got Sig....Nice Choice!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Tom Stock

Yeah buddy Real men love Sig Sauer