FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Skyway Scott

Toby,

I haven't a clue about the low end on that 150, but we did get a couple of the other ones. I am sincerely curious.
The trick skis are gonna give me a groin pull for certain though, it doesn't take a genius to see that one coming :shock:
Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 PM

Just spoke with John from Ocean Rodeo and he is pretty sure that the Mako will be plenty for me. He is so confident that he offered to take it back for a full refund!!! I also spoke to him about getting some OR kites in our area, specifically the Diablo (and the One which I know is already on the way...) I also have a Go-Joe and a Session Harness on the way with the session harness shorts. Can't wait to try those out either!!!

Scott,

I think I'll be coming for a visit to St. Auggie pretty soon after I get this board so you can try it yourself in the waves!!! :wink:

John hooked me up with a guy from Seattle on the Ocean Rodeo forum who is about my size who rides Diablos and the Mako 150. Once I hear back from him I will share the feedback on this thread...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Skyway Scott

Cool. My wavetray too flat for large waves.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 PM

Try a strapless surf board in anthing head high and under. But use straps in anyting over head high. Trust me you can rocket down the line and make better top turns and bottom turns on a surf board than a twin tip. Twin tips are fun though for little wave like knee high. Good kickers.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 AM

i picked up the session harness early last year.. first time i saw one in a magazine ad.. extreme had just got them in..
its a great great harness.. very much a hybrid waist/seat.. very very cumfy too.

built like a tank too!

does not have the clips.. just adjustment straps.. very very nice.

and a quick release on the leash attachment for a 2nd fail-safe option..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Just got a review of the Mako from a larger rider who combines the Mako with the Diablo (Ocean Rodeo C kite). Looks like the board will be NO trouble at all for me, especially with my Slingshot Machines!!!

Quote:
HEY TOBY!
You are gonna love the mako. The key to this board is speed, its not a slogger like a glide. Point it downwind and get it on a plane, then it will carry anyone, big or small, any where you point it. Its easy to ride too, this is something I didn't put much vaule on until I got mine. Now I am making gutsy moves that I used to have to really focus on, with out having to think about it. Its like an extension of my body that rarely comes off.

I have flown a 06' 16m machine for a week when I was trying to decide on what kite to get, and it was my 1st choice, until I flew a diablo. The machine is a super good kite that can adapt to a lot of conditions, even snow! I loved flyiing it! Tuning on the fly is its strong point, and it may have a bit more low end than a diablo. But its when its operating in the upper end of its wind range that the thing shines!

The diablo has more forward speed right at the edge of the window, so much in fact, it feels like its going to over fly and stall! Its (06') a bit more complex to tune, 18 power settings are a bit much at first, but once you get a feel for it, the diablo gives you an unfair advantage over the machine in gusty crap conditions, its smoother, and I think glides more. I think this is why the mako and diablo work so well together, the mako lets you dial in that speed and glide that happens right on the edge.

Both these kites kick ass when the wind picks up and you are operating the foils at the upper end of thier wind range. This is where they have few equals. This is typical for the conditions they were made in too, the gusty NW.

See how the mako matches the machine before you change kites, I never had a chance to use this combo, and it might reveal a characteristic of the machine you've never experienced before.

Besides, John Z is so right, once you try an OR you'll never go back.

Good luck dude, hope we both get some shred time soon!

Craig Myers (aka-rodeo clown-seattle kite, carkeek craig-kiteforum)