FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Default question on hooked or unhooked launches

I am a beginner and wanted to know if best kites were good for a beginners kite?
The only reason I ask this is because it recommends launching in hooked in and isn't this a no-no for rookies? I asked them about this question and they mentioned the depower and what not but i wanted to hear if possible what you all thought about it. Also I weigh 125 and I was looking at 9 and 13m kites for my range, would this work or should I go w/ 7 11. I just like the wind range better on the 9 and 13. Well thanks for your time.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaroo View Post
I am a beginner and wanted to know if best kites were good for a beginners kite?
The only reason I ask this is because it recommends launching in hooked in and isn't this a no-no for rookies? I asked them about this question and they mentioned the depower and what not but i wanted to hear if possible what you all thought about it. Also I weigh 125 and I was looking at 9 and 13m kites for my range, would this work or should I go w/ 7 11. I just like the wind range better on the 9 and 13. Well thanks for your time.
Which kite models are you considering buying? The answer to your question may differ with C kites vs. flat kites. Also, have you had adequate pro quality lessons yet? Quality lessons should provide the opportunity to checkout kites first hand under controlled circumstances.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:01 PM

Yes I have and I was looking into the waroo 07 models so yea the flat kites. Or I was looking into the lf m-80 but I don't want a 5th line yet, well thanks again
Old 02-14-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I am a beginner and wanted to know if BEST kites were good for a beginners kite?
The only reason I ask this is because it recommends launching in hooked in and isn't this a no-no for rookies?
When you refer to BEST kites, I assume your talking about WAROO's as they (BEST) also produce "C" kites

SLE/BOW/HYBRID kites are completely different animals then "C" kites.
The information your finding/reading about launching "UNhooked" is pertaining to "C" kites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaoo View Post
I asked them about this question and they mentioned the depower and what not. But i wanted to hear if possible what you all thought about it.
Some of the same people use this forum also Mrlaoo . The amount of de-power (saftey) is what seperates SLE/BOW/HYBRID kites from "C" kites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaoo;=16301
Also I weigh 125 and I was looking at 9 and 13m kites for my range, would this work or should I go w/ 7 11. I just like the wind range better on the 9 and 13. Well thanks for your time.
This question would be eaiser to answer if we knew the type of wind conditions in your area.
I weigh in at 165-170lbs and my 13WP is the biggest kite in my quiver (down to 12kts and up to 26kts not that i'd have it in the air @ 26kts)
Rule of thumb, Use the smallest kite you can get away with

Welcome to the sport & Be sure to take a few lessons (they'll help you more then you know/think)
Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM

So launching hooked in is all good then, guess I will have one hand on the bar and the other on the cl release. The winds average around 18mph! Thanks gain and this seems like a tight forum
Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

With the Waroo unlike most traditional C kites you are probably better off launching hooked in. Just practice sheeting out all the way upon need without hesistation.

With traditional C kites you are probably better off launching your properly trimmed kite for minimal power but adequate flying characteristics with an adequate downwind buffer, UNHOOKED.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 PM

wow, you all are quick. Got it thanks for the advice. So you think the waroo would be better then the m-80. I just see the m-80 so cheap and that's all. I see a lot of people representing best. I didn't know if best was just some trendy company that most follow or if they are really solid kites. Thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
wow, you all are quick. Got it thanks for the advice. So you think the waroo would be better then the m-80. I just see the m-80 so cheap and that's all. I see a lot of people representing best. I didn't know if best was just some trendy company that most follow or if they are really solid kites. Thanks
I switched from "C" kites to SLE's just last year and couldn't be happier. The comfortable/enjoyment factor with SLE's ( I ride BEST Waroo's ) has improved my riding 10 fold. Then again I started riding back when it was 2 line kites only, Man am I glad I lived thru those days (still break out in a sweat every once in a while thinking back)