FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Default Almost Kitemare adventure yesterday at Ft. Desoto

So, I've been kiting now for about 7 years. Had a few close calls, have had a bar come apart in the middle of a jump (fun indeed!) but have never had a moment that I seriously thought I could have died on the water.

Until yesterday.

I had just turned back from shore and was heading back towards the sandbar with a lot of speed when another kiter dropped their kite directly in front of me. I had zero time to react.

The next thing I know I do a quick pop and my body goes in between their lines which hit my lines just above my bar. The pressure from their lines throws my kite into an immediate loop. I slingshot directly THROUGH the other kite. Ripped it cleanly in half. One half of it travels with me as I am flying horizontal above the water and slam into the water. I feel my kite starting to pull again and some how I stand up and grab the bar and regain slight control of it.

When I stood up I realized that the other kites lines where wrapped around my neck. I swear that I have never moved faster in my life. I shoved my fingers between my skin and the lines and flung them off me. It was so fast that I didnt even have time to think about "What if" before I was untangled.

From there I was able to remove the other lines that were tangled around my bar and get myself reorganized.

The other rider apparently had been overpowered and had lost control of her kite. It was truly an accident. Thankfully no injuries beyond a good line slice on my legs and line rash marks on my neck. Loss of one kite and a story to tell later.

My biggest fear has always been getting tangled in lines. Guess I can check that one off my list. Next up: Shark attack.

fun times.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Bryan, glad you are ok. I was right there when it happened and I couldn't believe it turned out as well as it did for you. I saw you shoot up about 8-10 feet out of the water and watched the other kite/lines rip completely in half using your neck as a knife!

I talked to the other kiter as well and they were truly sorry for the incident. I thought you handled yourself very well considering the circumstances. You literally had half a kite on you to take back to shore.

Danny
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
stpetesal

Glad to hear the out come was just a lost kite and a few cuts...not that it matters but where you at EB?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Yep.. EB. Was decently busy... Not as crazy as I've seen before.

I will say that I was a bit miffed at the two people that were giving instructions right in the middle of the main beach area and not too far from shore.

Most other instructors yesterday had their students way out by the sandbar and even West of that. The ones showing students how to fly the kites (even as small as they were) was not too safe.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Can't Re-member

glad you came out all right B.

Had a similar experience @ Ft. Pierce in '99 with a two liner
in big surf after a hurricane pulled thru close by.

Foil went in the water and lines wrapped around my hands
and fingers as the sizeable waves were getting ready to
load up on the lines........ needless to say... I disengaged
quicker than you could say "ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad you came through OK Bryan and thanks for sharing your story. It is a good thing you were able to get free using your hands. Just read about a case in the Gorge last week involving a bad tangle. The guy apparently wouldn't let them cut the lines?!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/121062549.html

Then there is the case on here from several years ago in high seas and wind off Jupiter. This guy had to cut out and was very fortunate to have a hook knife on him to be able to do so.
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=543

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM

What a close call. We heard of some damaged ribs and a busted knee this weekend. Glad to hear everyone's ok in your incident. Also glad to hear most instruction is being done responsibly. Unfortunate that 100% can't comply. Unsafe instruction creates unsafe riders.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM

One thing’s for sure- it’s gonna be a fun season!
Lookin’ forward to it!
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

Last edited by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay; 09-17-2011 at 06:32 PM.