FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Not a good day at crandon....wind suxed...

bla
Old 12-08-2006, 08:11 PM

I agree with you, we were ready to do a downwinder with my buddies from Dania to Sunny isles but the wind sucked big time!! it was blowing no more than 10 knot and off-shore around later morning-late afternoon, even thought weather.com forecasted 20+ mph, Very disappointed. Hopefully tomorrow it'll pick up for a good session at Crandon. By the way be aware of the Jellyfish season, one of my friends got stung by a huge man-of-war down at crandon last Wednesday. It was horrible, he was in huge pain, he got it all over, arms, legs, feet, hands and some on the torso. The lifeguard were saying that they've never seen such a bad case. From now on we are all wearing full wetsuits, so be advised and careful. Good luck tomorrow for all of us
Freddynmb
Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 PM

Yea i met a gentlemen by the name of mark that got stung on Wed...not sure if we are talking about the same guy...
Old 12-09-2006, 02:29 PM

I was thinking to just bring my shortie :shock:

Is it the watertemp or the jellyfish that makes you suit up fully? Can one see those things or do they just sneak up and sting you?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Actually my friends' name is Francesco. It seems he wasn't the only one on Wednesday.
After some research I found out that the little ones the ones that float on top with blue coloring aren't that bad, you can see them at least. Now the Man-of-wars are way bigger and go under water unseen since they blend very well with the environment. This are the worse, their tentacles can go for up to 165 FEET!!! SCARY! The poison that the tentacles release at contact is comparable to 75% of a cobra's venom.
Now the only thing I can tell you is that it's painful as hell, and from now on I'm not going out without a Fullsuit, a shorty will help but they usually get you on your lower legs/feet, so in that case you're screwed regardless. Another thing is that they come to you, as far as I heard they don't attack you but when they see you they kinda follow you and they stick to you. I don't want to sound crazy but Just be aware of it, watch out and be careful while enjoying this awesome sport.
Good luck out there
Freddynmb
Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Francesco ok now? was he teaching someone when it happened or did he drag through it?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM

NONO he wasn't teaching anybody, he was just riding and dragged it when he got on the water