FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Skyway Scott

I tend to not even consider sharks a threat (in our area). After having said that, the one place I was "chased" by a shark was in the Egmont channel a few years ago. Huge Bull shark. F'r was right on me for at least 30 seconds (felt like eternity). I was doing at least 15 knots, maybe 20. He was easily keeping up, right on my ass, literally 2 feet behind me. I think he thought I was a tarpon (?) I jumped, went downwind, and hauled ass the other way (back to shore). Anyway, after all the time I have on the water, that was the worst in terms of an encounter. I usually don't fear anything out there, cuz frankly around here, not much to fear. But, only a fool would ride in Egmont Channel this time of year, is my take.
You couldn't pay me to swim for 2 solid hours out there, no way. Well maybe 30 grand.. maybe.
I have seen too many big things in that channel from fishing out there though. Even if nothing bit me, I would probably have a heart attack. LOL
Old 07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Can't Re-member

those poor marathon swimmers must sure feel like bait out there....NOT!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Skyway Scott

Swimmers? In the channel? In the summer?
Yikes.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Skyway Scott

This is a fun little read http://indigopress.net/asandp_excerpt2.htm
Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Yeah,that sounded real fun! I have grown up in florida my whole life but have only lived here for less than 3 years. I know plenty about alligators and have learned alot more about sharks since moving to the area. I still kiteboard in the channel between honeymoon island and caladesi because of the increased wind speed and flatter water.

Anyone think that is a bad idea?

I have never seen any sharks out there but in late may/early june I saw 3 sharks just outside the "no wake" bouys at IRB just a few feet below the water, they weren't very big, maybe 3 feet each.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Skyway Scott

I would think in most places around here, odds are exceptionally low of a serious shark encounter. Your odds of getting whacked by a poorly rigged kite or similar are much higher, imo. But, some areas are much more frequented by sharks than others.

Areas with good current, drop offs (like going from 3 to 90 feet like in some areas around Egmont), and murky water are prime shark feeding zones. I use to shark fish quit a bit and I have noticed they feed more with a good tide, especially outgoing.

Given that info, I would avoid channels b/n grass beds during strong currents, especially if you see tons of action and bait. Odds are low of an attack, but if you are concerned, you can avoid certain areas and lessen your chances.
Overall though, I wouldn't worry too much.

I also wouldn't swim at Egmont for two hours in certain areas and expect a good outcome though. :mrgreen:
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Just heard about a guy in a kayak bumped by a 10 ft bull shark in a tidal creek that flows into sarasota bay just a few weeks ago. The shark hit the kayak a few times and the guy thought it was a manatee. My friend was on a bridge overlooking the creek and saw it was no manatee and communicated this to the man in the boat. Shark left the scene with no more trouble.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Danny,

I think you much more likely to get whacked by a boater or jet ski in the Honeymoon channel than a shark. But yeah, a great place to catch wind especially if the tide is right.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Biggest shark I have seen in the water I saw on the shallows south of Hurricane Pass off Honeymoon. About a 13' Hammerhead in 5' of clear water over a white sand bottom. I had to turn around to take another look because I could not beleive the size of the thing. Sharks like to eat fish not people. If they liked to eat people you would read about attacts everyday of the summer on our beaches, because they are swimming among the beach goers everyday.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Whitey,

I think I was out there when you saw that, was that last spring/early summer?