FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Default New Wetsuit

Its time for me to get a new wetsuit since my current one's near dead from years of diving(and I may have gained some weight). From searching the forum, it seems like 3/2 is the preferred thickness for our area but I still have a coupla questions. I'm considering getting both a shorty and a full suit since I dive, snorkel, and now kite, I can use both. Would you guys go for 3/2 in the shorty and 4/3 in the full, or stick with same thickness for both? Keep in mind I'm a newb, still finishing up my lessons, so I'll be spending plenty of time in the water instead of on the board through the rest of the cold weather. Also, I'm not quite that hardcore yet, so I won't be out in anything too crazy cold. I'm not quite at the level to control a kite through shivers.

My other question is, searching the threads, pretty much everybody recommends a different brand or particular suit. Can anyone recommend some shops to check out different wetsuits. I've been to WSW and checked out what they have, but before buying I wanted to check out a couple other of the brands I've read about that they don't carry, so I can decide what I like best. I dont want to just order something off the internet and have to send it back because it doesn't fit me well

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Skyway Scott

My view on suits is it's better to overdo it a tad. You can always fall in and to cool off. Once you're cold though, you are cold.
I wear a 4/3 and I wear a steamer top underneath. That top underneath is the deal maker. Without it, I get cold, with it, I am totally warm.
I also wear a hoodie gig when it's sub 60. Without it, my head gets real cold and that's where you lose a lot of heat.

I can't imagine only wearing a 3/2 full. That's me. Let's see what the others guys say.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM

i currently only have a 3/2, and sometimes it's just not enough. I will say, however, that if you wear gloves, booties and a hood you will be as warm as you possibly can be in a 3/2. I'll be getting a 4/3 or maybe even a 5/3 in the near future and probly one of those kick-ass Gill windbreakers too. Just talking about this makes me cold, can't wait to 'trunk it in a nice spring seabreeze
Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 PM

I think if your gonna get a full, a 4/3 is the way to go, so when it does get really cold your covered. I have talked to some guys lately who are wearing a wind breaker pullover to help keep the chill off from the wind. Wetsuits are really designed for underwater use, but with the introduction of slick skin technology that can also help insulate against the wind. However, I have seen these slick skin suits not hold up so well over time. The rubber gets dry and cracks, and are just not as durable as straight up neoprene.

My advice is invest in something that really stretches as 4/3 tend to be a bit inflexible. On those really nutty cold days, wear a wind breaker over the top and you would be surprised the difference it makes in your warmth.

We have been carring these pullover tops by Gill that are really designed for sailors, but have been getting really good feedback. Hell, they can make a 3/2 feel a lot better.

Just some thoughts.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 AM

4/3 works for most cool days for me. Check out the Neilpryde website for fit.

They have alot of different measurements. I ordered mine from Darryl and he said just pick my size online and let him know. 2 days later I had my perfect sized wetsuit. So much easier than trying on wetsuits!

Later

pebbles
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Skyway Scott

I failed to mention the slick skin and the flexibility of the suit, like Steve mentioned. I wouldn't even bother getting a suit without both. It might add some to the cost, but man, it's worth it, imo.

Before the flexible material came out, I use to fatigue really fast, even just pumping up the kite. It was ridiculous.
The slick skin makes a huge improvement on keeping the wind from blowing thru the neoprene.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 AM

I hear the Mystic suits are kick @$$. I personally am fine in the $40.00 3/2 I bought used at a dive shop in the Keys with a top underneath in most conditions. I probably need to upgrade to a nicer 4/3 but just don't really get out all that much on the SUPER cold days. The frozen fingers and face just really isn't worth it to me. But when I do go out on those cold days I make sure to bring along my hoodie top and neoprene gloves just like the others have said on here.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM

Yes, the Mystic and Maui Magic wetsuits are great. I have a 4/3 Maui Magic Hana steamer (Mystic's line for women) and Roy has a Mystic Crossfire 5/3. Both of these suits are made with Metalite which resists both water and wind. I don't like the skinning, as it breaks down more easily and can limit mobility. These suits off great flexibility with wind and water protection. I know Emerald Coast Kiteboarding has the Crossfire on special.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked because it sounds like the concensus is 4/3 not 3/2 like I thought. I'm definitley looking for something that is flexible, because most of my time in suits is diving, and I know how it feels to come on the boat after kicking your legs in a thick suit. It tires you out and can make your knees hurt. I've looked at what they carry at WSW and saw some definite possibilities, but I aslo looked at the Neil Pryde and Mystic websites and just wish there were local spots to actually check 'em out in real life, cuz I'm always worried if I'm just reading too much into the advertising.
Thanks again
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Last season I had the full Skin 4/3 Neil Pryde 3000 series suit. Very nice suit and very warm. Not the most flexiable thing, and the skin on it started to crack after 6 months. The cracks are not that big of a deal just get some Wetsuit repair stuff to fix them. Go to Water Sports West and try one on they are very nice Wetsuits, just remeber if you get one to get the repair stuff too. If you start to see a crack fix it quick or it will just get bigger. This year I got a 5/3 Mystic Crossfire and that suit is freaking sweet! Very warm and super flexible. When I first got it I thought I it was too thin! I thought there is no way it is a 5/3, this thing feel so much thinner than my 4/3 Neil Pryde. Nope very warm in it and it feels like I have a 3/2 suit on because it is so flexible. They are expensive, but I think they are worth every penny! Was ridding in it this weekend when it was 35 with wind chills in the teens up in Ft. Walton. Was nice and warm, but my feet where frozen! Have to order some thicker booties now dang it!

RS