FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE! > 2007-08 Jupiter To Ft. Lauderdale Race, What Happened?!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default It's History and What a Ride! What do you remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Just wondering if any one has some good pics of the event? My Dad told me my lil' Bro won. But the 3 pics he had were not the best detail.

I'm not really into water sports or anything, but I'm sure my Brother will drag me out eventually. Until then I just signed on here hoping for pics and such of the event, and to try and understand this sport that he's into. (I'm more into wheeled sports)

Thanks in advance

Congratulations, amazing performance for a first win. He was up against some very experienced talent, high winds and good sized seas and still pulled it off. His time, 2 hr. 17 min. equates to an average speed of about 25 mph. To keep that up through gust cycles, zones of seas up to perhaps nine feet in isolated areas is quite an accomplishment. I took a quick look and other than some fuzzy video shot at the finish I don't seem to have any shots. I think there is likely lots of high quality video and stills shot by Dasher from the helicopter and others at the awards ceremony which I unfortunately had to miss. So, stay tuned, more good stuff to come.

Well done to everyone that came out for this great event! A huge thanks to Neil and troops for pulling it off one more time.

Whether you went the full distance or not, were just watching or came in hard and furious for the finish, what do you remember? There have to be some incredible stories out there, so let's hear 'em.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 AM

Neil,

thanks again for putting on a great event. you couldn't have asked for better conditions. i know that all of us truely appreciate your efforts and always look forward to attending future events. Thanks again Neil.

Kent
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I second that, Neil you are the man for conceiving and bringing these complex, unique events into being time and time again. THANK YOU!

OK, I was well up the coast cruising along on my 13 m near the zenith (sigh), dodging the odd big wave, shooting pictures and missed out on what was going on in the race further south. Gebi gave me an eye full on video of his radical experiences on the way down. Kent, what do you remember? Your gear let you down but I bet you have a great story.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-22-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Not much of a story from my side. I was very happy with my equipment selection (Crossbow3 10.5 and my 5'2 DC directional). My goal was to finish in the top 3 and not worse than 5th. I was sticking to my plan and riding pretty easy bouncing between 4th and 6th ususally. I was runing down the coast and currently riding in 5th with I went flying over the bars. I quickly got up and crashed again. I flipped my board over and noticed that my bottom had ripped off. I had earler repaired my board by adding to additional stringers, but I did the job incorrectly and didn't place an extra layer of glass over the stringers. I thought that my test from Saturday's race was sufficient, but apparantly not.

It was a disappointment for sure, but I was runing about as expected and had to bail out at the Deerfield Pier. It's funny, just as I was limping into the beach Gebi passed me. I'm sure that we would have finished at the hip again. I think that he was looking for a bit of revenge after Saturday's loss to me by about 10 seconds after 25 miles. I guess that I'll just have to live on that one until we get to Tampa. I can't wait to see you there.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Tough break but then again that board did well in quite a few comps including Naples day before yesterday. The challenge goes on between Kent and Gebi, years in the running but still going real strong.

Stacey was also in both the Naples and Jupiter races like us, Stacey what do you remember from the run to Ft. Lauderdale?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Default sore ribs and one leg bigger than the other

Yeah, another good one, Neill.

The water start was MUCH better than the shore Chaos from the first Jup-Tiki race. It also made for a level playing field.

What I'm learning is that even with 60 miles and more than 2 hours to make up ground, you never have a moment to waste. As the group moves at over 20mph, when you look up after falling off the board, you feel like you just fell off a train that's heading off in the distance.

The other thing I'm learning is the old rabbit and turtle philosophy. I chose the fastest board I own, but not the most comfortable. When I needed to, I could shoot past someone. My GPS even showed a max speed of 42mph after outrunning one of those big swells. But the constant chatter and lack of board traction kept me from really keeping up those high speeds, and probably caused me to fall more than I should have. And then, all the people I had zipped past, just cruised comfortably by me in my down times. So, a comfortable steady pace on the right gear is definitely the way to go next time for me.

More than a few people hugged the shore for very long distances. That sucked because the shallower water definitely had its advantages. Did any lifeguards report anyone?

I saw one shark eating something on the surface, several Men-o-war (plural?), and took one jelly fish to the face.

Looking forward to more...races; not jellyfish.
skybanditz.com