FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 PM

After reading many concerns about our local spots, the crowds, and some of the reckless riding that has been going on, I just wanted to take an opportunity to let the community know that I recongnize these issues and as an instructor will continue to teach away from these spots. I would only hope this will be appreciated by seasoned riders not having to deal with a lesson in the middle of all of the hoopla. I have witnessed some close calls and recklessness myself this past season with newbies and seasoned riders alike. All the instruction in the world can still not replace common sense, good judgement, and experience.

I belive Josh Taylor received some excellent instruction from Brian Eagle, but still suffered a bad injury in his early days of kiting. Should Josh's accident be blamed on his instruction? I think not.

We have all had some close calls and walked away. Others have not. It is the risk we take everytime we put the thumbs up sign and launch our kites.

Instruction allows a beginner a safe entry into the sport. It is starting point of a very long journey. To think that instruction will guarantee protection from oneself and others is ludicrous. Instruction will certainly allow for a lower risk of injury, but it is ultimately up to the individual to head the warnings explained at the beginning and choose wisely the conditions and locations in which they choose to kite and progress in the sport.

Once a student leaves the instructional environment, it is now our responsibilty to keep an eye out for the Rick Day's of the world and steer clear or keep them in check.

Randy has been a huge mentor to me. He helped get me into this great sport. He is a good friend and I wish him well with his venture with Best. However, I will never be able to catch up with in experience. I do know that my 15 years of teaching will serve me well as I introduce new folks to this wonderful sport. I do know with each student I will become wiser and more knowledgeable with my curriculum. I sincerely hope that each student will retain 100% of what they learned. A kid can fail a class and the result is an F. A kite student can fail and it may cost their life or someone else's.

I sincerely hope that in the future it will be required to attain a license or certification card in order to purchase gear. It still boggles my mind that anyone can purchase gear online and basically teach themselves. When that day comes, it will be a good day. Until then, ruffle the feathers. We all need to be asking questions and searching for answers. There is certainly nothing wrong with a healthy debate.

Oh yeah, I have been riding for one year. No injuries to date. No tangles. No kite repairs. From 10 knots to 30+ it has been a great year. I am proud that I don't have a kitemare to share. I have educated myself, been patient, and known my limits. I hope to share this philosophy of kiting with my future students.

See you on the water. Have fun tomorrow. We will be at Caladesi teaching lessons all day. Enjoy three less newbies in the water.

Steve-O
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
tomstock

Ok, thanks Steve-O. Best of luck with teaching. Thanks for the friendly debate.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 AM

Is Randy riding for BEST now?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Can't Re-member

Oh yeah, for awhile now, he's a rep and has a shop to sell as well Cindy says
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Certs

Cerification, smertification...its more money making racket. Have you seen what they want to charge to get certify, $600 or more . There is no OFFICIALLY recognize certifing organization because certification is not regulated nor required, unlike SCUBA and other air sports. Yes, I know there are organizations, but they are not regulated. It's better to have someone willing to teach new riders rather than have people trying to learn on their own. I did it on my own and it took me 3 years to figure it out. I wish there was someone with a boat, willing to HELP me, let alone teach me. I'm lucky I didn't kill myself. I've been riding 6 years ( I don have no certification of any kind). Steve-O, I dont kno you, but if you have a boat or ski and are willing to teaching students away from other riders and OFF OF THE BEACH, then you will help our sport. Nothing is worse than a teacher, I don't care if it is Dimitri, yelling instructions at a student from the beach. I've seen it...it has been the norm for many years. As far as how long has Steve-O been riding, what does that have to do with anything. Have you seen what some of these kids have accomplished in a year. They ride for a year and are incredible. There are at least 10 little kids here in Miami, under 15, riding for a year thats awsome. Have fun, be safe respect others or get whats comin to you.

PAZ amigos
Jaime
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
tomstock

Yeah, those are good points and you a probably right. Better to have a few good instructors who are not certified than a few bad ones who are.