FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
tomstock

Bryan I am with you on the jumping close to shore and riding to the beach on every tack. There is NOTHING more frustrating than standing on the beach having to MOVE YOUR KITE out of the way, over to the parked cars, just so that some fool can ride all the way up to the beach to change tacks.

That combined with people jumping 10 feet from shore so they can take pictures is just an accident waiting to happen.

Toby, way to go.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Wink

Thanks guys but it is just using common sense and some courtesy to the more advanced kiters...as well as watching Amber's back! I feel good knowing she is learning way out there and has a MUCH lower chance of injury as a newbie...I haven't been trained as an instructor so I think erring on the side of caution is the way to go when helping her learn.

I think the jumping close to shore for pictures thing can be easily taken care of by spending a couple of extra bucks on a better zoom lens...plus, all pics can be zoomed in on using most of the better digital cameras today even after the picture has been taken so there is no need for coming near shore unless you are changing your board (quickly) or landing your kite...
Old 01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
tomstock

Well, I think a lot of guys jump near shore when they are trying complex tricks because they don't want to relaunch in deep water.

I've heard plenty of stories recently about kites being dropped on people's heads due to this sort of thing.

Seems like it would be a better idea to do this over a sandbar instead of right near shore.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 AM

Default For the record

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are very aware of the crowded conditions in Tampa Bay. Population over 4 million + bow kites making it easier to learn + experienced riders throwing down awesome tricks is bringing more and more people into the sport. We have seen a huge increase in interest for the sport just over the past few months.

At WSW west we recognize the need to keep our riding spots safe and make every newbie aware that riding these spots on crowded days is a very risky situation. I personally stress to all my students to walk out into the water to launch and land, and go way out to the sandbars to work on their board skills. Staying in winds under 15 knots and getting your skills under control on less populated weekdays is the safe way to approach learning the sport until things are under control.

We have also chosen to teach the majority of our students in the less accessible northern locations of Pinellas county ie. Caladesi, Honeymoon, and 3-rooker. If you do see me teaching students out there it is simply our ground school program with no board involved. Most of the work is stationary with the kite, and it will not be on busy weekends.

We have a great deal of respect for the dangers of mixing experienced crowds and newbies together and will do everything within our power to educate our students via video, one on one instruction, and ultimately moving the learning environment to a different location. After they leave our program, we can only hope these newbies will make smart choices not only for themselves but for the others.

Peace!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
tomstock

That's encouraging info Steve-O! I didn't know you were teaching now for WSW. How long have you been teaching/riding and which organization are you certifying students through (PASA or IKO)?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 PM

As I am sure you know, Randy was our main instructor in 06. He is doing his own thing now and we truly wish him well. My background is in education with a bachelor's and master's degree. I have worked with literally thousands of kids and adults in the marching band world....coordinating shows with my last post at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Basically, my job was breaking down very complex skills for my students and challenging them to the highest level. Long story short, I am confident of my ability to teach and communicate with all walks of life. It is something I have done since I was 18.

I have been a waterman of over 20 years now challenging the shores of Costa Rica, Hawaii, California, and Puerto Rico. Many near drownings in these locations. They are the real deal.

Anyways, I take this responsibilty very seriously and am always promoting safe practices for my students just as I did. I have only been riding a year now, but have put quite a bit of time on the water as it is part of my job. I didn't even ride at the Skyway/Ft. Desoto area until I had my game together which took about 6 months.

As far as certifications, WSW is sending me to the Kitehouse to study with Paul Menta and receive a Level 1 instructor cert. through PASA. This should be completed in the next few weeks. I will have to teach for one full year until I am able to certify students through PASA. We eventuly plan to be a certified PASA school.

We are moving forward to educate on a very professional level and offer the best instruction in the bay area. This sport is amazing and for better or for worse more and more are going to get involved. Since my involement, I now have 5 surfing friends that are on there way to entering the sport. As prices go down, and safety goes up, it is only a matter of time until this sport is as mainstream as surfing. But education is key. I think we can all agree on that.

Again, a good majority of our teaching will not take place in the Skyway/Desoto area. The risks are too high and new people coming into the sport need to be educated and steered in the right direction to explore spots that aren't quite so crowded.

We all need to work together to educate and assist those entering the sport, because the bottom line is we were all there once.

Steve-O
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 PM
tomstock

Quote:
As I am sure you know, Randy was our main instructor in 06. He is doing his own thing now and we truly wish him well. My background is in education with a bachelor's and master's degree. I have worked with literally thousands of kids and adults in the marching band world....coordinating shows with my last post at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Basically, my job was breaking down very complex skills for my students and challenging them to the highest level. Long story short, I am confident of my ability to teach and communicate with all walks of life. It is something I have done since I was 18.

I have been a waterman of over 20 years now challenging the shores of Costa Rica, Hawaii, California, and Puerto Rico. Many near drownings in these locations. They are the real deal.

Anyways, I take this responsibilty very seriously and am always promoting safe practices for my students just as I did. I have only been riding a year now, but have put quite a bit of time on the water as it is part of my job. I didn't even ride at the Skyway/Ft. Desoto area until I had my game together which took about 6 months.

As far as certifications, WSW is sending me to the Kitehouse to study with Paul Menta and receive a Level 1 instructor cert. through PASA. This should be completed in the next few weeks. I will have to teach for one full year until I am able to certify students through PASA. We eventuly plan to be a certified PASA school.

We are moving forward to educate on a very professional level and offer the best instruction in the bay area. This sport is amazing and for better or for worse more and more are going to get involved. Since my involement, I now have 5 surfing friends that are on there way to entering the sport. As prices go down, and safety goes up, it is only a matter of time until this sport is as mainstream as surfing. But education is key. I think we can all agree on that.

Again, a good majority of our teaching will not take place in the Skyway/Desoto area. The risks are too high and new people coming into the sport need to be educated and steered in the right direction to explore spots that aren't quite so crowded.

We all need to work together to educate and assist those entering the sport, because the bottom line is we were all there once.
Well.. taking Toby's perspective on safety....

I'm sure you've heard this quote before:

"Nah... I don't need lessons. I've been surfing and skateboarding forever... I can do it no problem, I just need to buy the gear."

I think this applies MORE so for teaching. You are taking someone's life into your hands when you attach them to that kite.

This isn't marching band, in this sport if you teach someone a bad habit (like reaching for the quick release when it suddenly goes from 15 to 35) it could possibly get them killed. Ask me how I know about that one.

The only exceptions to this (for me anyway) are the long timers (Randy, Jeff, and a few others) who have been riding since the jojo. I don't know how long you've been riding but your name doesn't ring a bell to me.

Obviously I don't know you or your capabilities, but I know what you liabilities are, as well as those of water sports west. I would strongly urge you to get certified before teaching anyone other than close friends. How are you going to explain the situation to someone's family at the hospital when you tell them you are not a certified instructor? How is WSW going to defend themselves in court? Man, I would be careful if I were you until you get that cert done. I do appreciate your attitude towards safety and responsibility at the spots though...

If I am way off base I apologize ... I am prepared to get flamed over this one but I just couldn't let it go without speaking up. This is what self regulation of our sport is all about.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM

Tom.. I need to stickup for Steve-O. I have seen him give lessons and he is doing everything in his power to give safe lessons. He is doing a great job and he hasn't put students in harms way.

I am glad that WSW is not just selling gear to people but also stepping up to the plate and giving lessons.

Thanks Steve-O for your contibution on making our sport safe.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Chris. I do appreciate it the support.

As far as certification, Randy has taught for the shop for quite a long time with no certification, nor was he interested to get one. We are sorry to loose him but it now allows us to move in the right direction which is better for all.

As in my last profession, a teaching certificate does not guarantee you will be an effective teacher. I knew plenty of teachers that couldn't teach to save their lives let alone others. I look forward to working with Paul Menta and seeing how he does things especially from a boat and away from danger.

I certainly don't expect anyone to think that teaching marching band relates to teaching kiting but I was very good at what I did in that arena. And it is teaching lots of mechanical skills and judgement. I had a 3 time Florida State champ band, and traveled around the country teaching some of the best of the best in an ESPN arena. I am not just your average teacher, but someone that goes the extra mile to achieve excellence at a very high level. One of the reasons I left teaching is I achieved too much too quickly. Call it burnout. I went hard at it and fell fast.

Watersports has been a passion of mine since I was a kid and so was teaching. Now I get to combine both of my passions and I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life. It has been a natural progression.

I do appreciate the advice, and believe me we are covering ourselves legally. But we are excited about moving towards PASA certification.

Finally, I don't see how teaching close friends is any less of an issue than teaching strangers. It is still a responsibility and a trip to the hospital wouldn't be any easier. If anything, it would be even harder to see them get hurt.

Steve-O
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
tomstock

Well, Randy has been riding for 7 years though.

You may interact well with students and be well organized and detail oriented, but without certification you can only teach what you know from real life experience. Your experience IS based on your riding experience until you are certified.

How long have you been riding?

Self regulation of our sport means ruffling feathers now and then, right?

Last edited by tomstock; 01-04-2007 at 10:15 PM.